Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right now, the GSC is tougher, but that's not always the case. (Of course, comparisons would be a lot easier if the MIAA played non-conference games...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
      Right now, the GSC is tougher, but that's not always the case. (Of course, comparisons would be a lot easier if the MIAA played non-conference games...)
      There is no doubt the GSC is tougher right now and I think it will stay that way as the style of play evolves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taxman View Post

We're on the same page and why I already stated most of the conference should be voting to add noncons. I'm the founding member of the be careful not to follow Pitt into irrelevance foundation. Hopefully the hiring of the current OC is one step to warding that off. It is nice. NW is absolutely in a different situation than most of the conference currently. And that can absolutely change as well.

Comment

• I think your timeline is off. Certainly you were the top dog in the league from 89-95 but things changed mid/late 90's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think your timeline is off. Certainly you were the top dog in the league from 89-95 but things changed mid/late 90's.

Comment

• Gotcha. 1998 was a big year when the Gorillas did not make the playoffs.

Comment

• 98 was the first sign that things were wrong. In 99 they made the PO's, but lost a squeaker to UNC for the 3rd time in 4 years. Missed again in 02. Got owned at ND in 03.

The NC appearance years were all sort of the perfect storm of ridiculous talent showing up at once.

Looking back, the gap from about 96 to 03 was full of good, but not great teams. I think that was really the norm for Pitt, but they lost close games in the first round to eventual NC's for 3 years in a row, so it allowed us Pitt fans to delude ourselves.

90-95, 04-05, were sort of perfect storm years where those good teams got a great player or 2 that pushed them over the hump.

From 06 on, they had one great year in 11, and again in 14, but outside of that progressed from putting out those good teams to mainly mediocre teams.

Starting in 2020, who knows where that trend will go.

Comment

• By good. I mean good on a national scale.

Comment

• This issue is not going to go away. Half the miaa believes it will help them. We cannot continue to sacrifice our programs best interest to satisfy one or a few programs comfort.

We are like big 12 when Texas decided to act unilaterally and get money for longhorn network . Only looking out for yourself when you are part of a conference is selfish and will hurt your conference and yourself in the long-term.

You can respond by threatening to kick us out or that we dont belong but that is a moot point because we do. I'm not sure how creating a situation where we are always 0-11 helps you or us .

How many more teams have to leave before you realize that the system is flawed and hurting your team as well

??????
                    ?

Comment

• Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                      This issue is not going to go away. Half the miaa believes it will help them. We cannot continue to sacrifice our programs best interest to satisfy one or a few programs comfort.

We are like big 12 when Texas decided to act unilaterally and get money for longhorn network . Only looking out for yourself when you are part of a conference is selfish and will hurt your conference and yourself in the long-term.

You can respond by threatening to kick us out or that we dont belong but that is a moot point because we do. I'm not sure how creating a situation where we are always 0-11 helps you or us .

How many more teams have to leave before you realize that the system is flawed and hurting your team as well
                      ?????
                      ?
                      you have been whining like a victim literally throughout this thread. nest has struggled due to some combination of the following, coaching/commitment/recruiting. it ain't the schedule.

but as long as nest believes it is the sched, the rest of the league can pencil in a w.

the schedule model is flawed. frankly it blows. most ppl itt agree, conversation centers around how to solve it more than anything else as well as what impact it necessarily has had. i have never talked to someone f2f who likes it. my guess is there are virtually no fans that do beyond mouthpieces carrying water for one admin or another.

frankly sometimes schools need to leave to force others to change an otherwise entrenched position on an issue so i'm not sure the last sentence would necessarily represent bad news. that & the best scheduling solution of all involves a couple of them leaving.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

• Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post

??????
                        ?
                        Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

frankly sometimes schools need to leave to force others to change an otherwise entrenched position on an issue so i'm not sure the last sentence would necessarily represent bad news. that & the best scheduling solution of all involves a couple of them leaving.
                        If two more teams would leave it would completely solve the flawed system.

Comment

• Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

If two more teams would leave it would completely solve the flawed system.
                          It would solve the problem of having the opportunity to schedule noncons. It would not necessarily solve the problem of then filling those openings. There will likely be more travel involved for some and cost of paying opponents to travel to you for others. Until the NSIC and GAC open up to noncons scheduling of noncons won't be as simplistic as people think it will be. My preference would be for all 3 of those conferences to come to an agreement at the same time. Are the GAC and NSIC receiving any heat like the MIAA? They should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taxman View Post

It would solve the problem of having the opportunity to schedule noncons. It would not necessarily solve the problem of then filling those openings. There will likely be more travel involved for some and cost of paying opponents to travel to you for others. Until the NSIC and GAC open up to noncons scheduling of noncons won't be as simplistic as people think it will be. My preference would be for all 3 of those conferences to come to an agreement at the same time. Are the GAC and NSIC receiving any heat like the MIAA? They should be.
                            I don't think anyone is saying it would be easier. Just better, and more fun. Even if a team has to schedule patsies, Hey, at least they won't be the same old patsies.

Comment

• I would like the other conferences to open up, but am against the stupid scheduling alliance that just turn it into a bigger silo. That may be slightly better than the "Hey we're lazy, but so what" that we are getting from AD's and presidents at places like NW now, but not much.

Comment

• Cost issues:
                                Were any of the schools that are hurting for cash/low spenders in the conference against this? If so, I'll listen, but when NW and UCM talk about costs, I laugh, a lot.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X