Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a Pitt fan, I know it can be tough to schedule someone decent, especially when hamstrung by the Camarohead game and lux box owners like they used to be. Hard to get someone to agree to a home only deal so you end up playing the Northern oklahoma school of chicken husbandry or something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taxman View Post

It would solve the problem of having the opportunity to schedule noncons. It would not necessarily solve the problem of then filling those openings. There will likely be more travel involved for some and cost of paying opponents to travel to you for others. Until the NSIC and GAC open up to noncons scheduling of noncons won't be as simplistic as people think it will be. My preference would be for all 3 of those conferences to come to an agreement at the same time. Are the GAC and NSIC receiving any heat like the MIAA? They should be.
      NSIC will likely open up in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

NSIC will likely open up in 2021.
        Do you think that was contingent on the MIAA eventually opening up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

Do you think that was contingent on the MIAA eventually opening up?
          If Augustana leaves and isn't replaced, the NSIC will have an odd number of teams, making it impossible to do a closed schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

If two more teams would leave it would completely solve the flawed system.
            I'mnot It sure it would. I know we all grew up with a world of ten team conference but I don't think that is the norm any more . I also know that it puts pressure on finding non conf in non football sports .

??????If nsic opens up, then a lot of the legit reasons for silo sched goes away .

Comment

• Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post

I'mnot It sure it would. I know we all grew up with a world of ten team conference but I don't think that is the norm any more . I also know that it puts pressure on finding non conf in non football sports .

??????If nsic opens up, then a lot of the legit reasons for silo sched goes away .
              The NSIC went to a closed schedule because of the MIAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

If Augustana leaves and isn't replaced, the NSIC will have an odd number of teams, making it impossible to do a closed schedule.
                Where would Augustana be going?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorillahawk View Post

Where would Augustana be going?
                  Division I. The only roadblock at this point is finding a conference.

Comment

• aug d1....excuse me while i lol
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's actually repeated around the country more than you'd think.
                      But generally, there is a laugh or a snort at the end of the statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Division I. The only roadblock at this point is finding a conference.
                        IDK how a private school with an enrollment of only 2K thinks going D1 is a good move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                          Cost issues:
                          Were any of the schools that are hurting for cash/low spenders in the conference against this? If so, I'll listen, but when NW and UCM talk about costs, I laugh, a lot.
                          Pred, you seem to be out of touch with the true economic issues schools are facing. I can not speak for NW but I can tell you that enrollment is down for UCM and has led to difficult decisions needing to be made at UCM. Everyone had to cut budgets and this included athletics. Some sports this means traveling the same morning of an event others it is something else. I was informed from a reliable source that the the model for scholarship money now truly for the in-state equivalent. In the past, the University augmented by paying the 'Scholarship" for athletes that came from states that bordered Missouri. Now, Athletics has to pay for this while the University is still discounting this for other students that live in bordering states. This meant that athletics was only billed for the "in-state" rate and not the "out-of-state" rate and now they have to pay the out-of-state rate. This is huge. Think about our roster. How many kids come from Kansas, Illinois, Tennessee, Oklahoma or Iowa? The count was 60 last year with the majority coming from Illinois. The cost of tuition per credit hour is $235.00 for in-state students and $475.20 out-of-state students. That is more than double the rate so this is forcing athletics to do more with less.

Think about it. Can anyone tell me for any other reason than budget as to why UCM doesn't have an OC yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post

Pred, you seem to be out of touch with the true economic issues schools are facing. I can not speak for NW but I can tell you that enrollment is down for UCM and has led to difficult decisions needing to be made at UCM. Everyone had to cut budgets and this included athletics. Some sports this means traveling the same morning of an event others it is something else. I was informed from a reliable source that the the model for scholarship money now truly for the in-state equivalent. In the past, the University augmented by paying the 'Scholarship" for athletes that came from states that bordered Missouri. Now, Athletics has to pay for this while the University is still discounting this for other students that live in bordering states. This meant that athletics was only billed for the "in-state" rate and not the "out-of-state" rate and now they have to pay the out-of-state rate. This is huge. Think about our roster. How many kids come from Kansas, Illinois, Tennessee, Oklahoma or Iowa? The count was 60 last year with the majority coming from Illinois. The cost of tuition per credit hour is $235.00 for in-state students and $475.20 out-of-state students. That is more than double the rate so this is forcing athletics to do more with less.

Think about it. Can anyone tell me for any other reason than budget as to why UCM doesn't have an OC yet?
                            That's good info for UCM. This isn't specific to NW but just in general for higher ed. Enrollment is getting ready to take a dive off a cliff in 2025 (approximately 18 years after the Great Recession) and the data says it will stay that way for a good 5 years based on birth rates. The institutions that are smart are definitely looking at this and planning for it. In addition, to enrollment being down now and getting ready to be even more in the future, that impacts the credit hour totals that are subject to fees such as athletic fees that many universities use. The next 5-10 years is going to be very rough in higher education.

I would like to see ooc games but understand if schools are making the best financial decisions for the entire University. Hopefully the conferences can develop a plan for ooc games that don't significantly impact budgets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post

Not out of touch at all. Just saying that when compared to Southern, the empire builders in Wburg can't convince me that 1 or 2 longer road trips a year is going to hurt them.

Comment

• The schools who have had huge facilities booms in the past decade or so will be hurting the most, imo.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X