X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catbacker07
    replied
    Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Ask Grand Valley about Looney's line of if you play non-conference games and win them you will will be in. There is a lot more to it than that.

Lakers went 3-0 in non-conference, Lindenwood went 1-2 in non-conference (1-3 if you count the FCS game) and both were 8-3 overall - although LWU was 8-2 in D2 games.

The Lions won their league and with this particular committee it seems like that had more relevance than the non-conference record. GVSU played Edinboro (3-8), Delta State (6-4) and William Jewell (1-10) while LWU played Midwestern State (5-6), Davenport (5-5), and Saginaw Valley (5-5). IF you look at the comparative scores, they both beat SVSU by a touchdown, GVSU thumped WJC by 53 while LWU won by 10, and the Lakers beat Davenport while Lindenwood lost to them.

Who you play is important as well. Edinboro, Delta, Midwestern and Saginaw have all been good in the last three years so they were probably assuming they would get a SOS bump when playing them that didn't really happen this year. I've said it before but most coaches and ADs like to be in control of the situation. They have some control over their SOS with the silo schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
    A few thoughts:

There have been co-champions in three of the six years of the silo schedule, which undermines the "one true champion" argument. Wright and Peterson make the point that the head-to-head helped seed the co-champs, which is fine, but I'm not sure why distinguishing between Northwest and UCM this year is more important than being able to make broader comparisons between the conferences in the region.

Every other conference sport manages to schedule non-conference games. Because of the team size, football has a different challenge, but other conferences (and our own conference history prior to the last few years) would suggest that the difficulties are not insurmountable.

I simply don't see a way forward for programs like NSU and Lincoln to get competitive when they are only playing MIAA teams. Give them the flexibility to schedule a couple of non-con games where they can get some wins and get some confidence (or some money), and who knows?
    Less than 3% of the schedules in D2 history HAVE NOT allowed non-conference games. It's an anomaly.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    A few thoughts:

There have been co-champions in three of the six years of the silo schedule, which undermines the "one true champion" argument. Wright and Peterson make the point that the head-to-head helped seed the co-champs, which is fine, but I'm not sure why distinguishing between Northwest and UCM this year is more important than being able to make broader comparisons between the conferences in the region.

Every other conference sport manages to schedule non-conference games. Because of the team size, football has a different challenge, but other conferences (and our own conference history prior to the last few years) would suggest that the difficulties are not insurmountable.

I simply don't see a way forward for programs like NSU and Lincoln to get competitive when they are only playing MIAA teams. Give them the flexibility to schedule a couple of non-con games where they can get some wins and get some confidence (or some money), and who knows?

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    2019 SR3 Non-Conference Records

GLIAC
    14-9 .608

GLVC
    12-11 .521

MIAA
    0-0 .500

GAC
    0-0 .500

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Then find whoever came up with the miaa silo idea, and kick them in the junk.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Fire the NW ad and any others who are against it, asap.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Ask Grand Valley about Looney's line of if you play non-conference games and win them you will will be in. There is a lot more to it than that.

Lakers went 3-0 in non-conference, Lindenwood went 1-2 in non-conference (1-3 if you count the FCS game) and both were 8-3 overall - although LWU was 8-2 in D2 games.

The Lions won their league and with this particular committee it seems like that had more relevance than the non-conference record. GVSU played Edinboro (3-8), Delta State (6-4) and William Jewell (1-10) while LWU played Midwestern State (5-6), Davenport (5-5), and Saginaw Valley (5-5). IF you look at the comparative scores, they both beat SVSU by a touchdown, GVSU thumped WJC by 53 while LWU won by 10, and the Lakers beat Davenport while Lindenwood lost to them.

Who you play is important as well. Edinboro, Delta, Midwestern and Saginaw have all been good in the last three years so they were probably assuming they would get a SOS bump when playing them that didn't really happen this year. I've said it before but most coaches and ADs like to be in control of the situation. They have some control over their SOS with the silo schedule.
    Yes. A team still has to win games in conference. I don't think Looney was dismissing those games at all.

Because of the ridiculous scheduling practices of half the conferences in the region, I don't think conclusions can necessarily be drawn. These scheduling practices have caused new rules to be created in order to counter the lack of data points. An analysis of SR1 and SR2 would lead to a better understanding of how teams should be selected.

I believe that SOS should be a much bigger factor than it is.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    The #1 benefit of multiple non-conference games is more chances to compare potential participants.

The #2 benefit is that the strong teams/conferences should get more teams in than weaker teams.

The #3 benefit is that the strongest teams/conferences should get more home games.

Leave a comment:

• FlyinLion
    replied
    Full audio of all the interviews can be found here.

Peterson and Wright both mention the benefit of the round robin for intra-conference playoff seeding (e.g. NW 3, UCM 4) while the main selling point of opening up the schedule is the inter-conference playoff selection and seeding.

Leave a comment:

• Hornetfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    started a topic Football schedule vote

Football schedule vote

Good info here about a vote coming up to schedule nonconference games.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X