Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA suspends all sports indefinitely

http://themiaa.com/news/2020/3/12/ge...efinitely.aspx

Another facet of this story is the fact the NCAA derives a lion's share of it's budget (about 75%) from D1 basketball and March Madness. D2 derives a lions share of it's budget from the 4-5% cut of overall NCAA revenues. The cancellation of March Madness may have profound implications on at least the short term budgets if not longer term viability of D2 athletics itself. Something to keep a watch on for sure

Comment

Sports are done for the spring semester per the NCAA. A source told me that this includes spring football practice as well.

Comment

Overreacting

Comment

Several schools have closed or gone online only. UNK, MSSU, FHSU. Not sure about any others.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
            Overreacting
            I don't think it is. Its a bummer, but this could easily outgrow the capabilities of our medical infrastructure. Spreading out the infection rate over a longer period of time, if it works, is going to make it look like we over reacted. If this virus doubles the infected rate every week, it could take a terrifyingly small amount of time to overrun everything.

Comment

It may be an overreaction, and it may not. To say definitively either way at this point is pretty silly.

Social isolation is a great tool, but it is definitely going to hurt the economy.

Comment

All collegiate sports are cancelled until further notice, except for Corn Hole in Kansas.
                Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 03-13-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
                  All collegiate sports are cancelled until further notice, except for Corn Hole in Kansas.

And to be fair, Horseshoe / Muleshoe pitching in Missouri.

Comment

So many questions that aren't important in the grand scheme of things. I wonder what they will do with eligibility for Seniors that had their spring season cut short for Baseball, Softball, track etc. I'd assume most will graduate and move onto their professional careers. If kids want to play their final season do schools have to honor it the next season. What do they do about scholarship restrictions the next season.

For Spring ball can they extend fall practice? Can they push spring ball back if classes get pushed back?

Classes now, will they all be through Skype or Zoom?

Comment

Hook....

Seems like they will grant an extra year and allow scholarship exemptions.

The thing is, at our level, I think fewer than 50% of the kids will take the extra year. Many will move on to jobs or whatever other plans they might have had rather than rack up another year of debt.

I think it would be a different choice for anyone on a full ride.

Comment

Something will have to be done about the number of scholarships. If you have some seniors opting for the extra year, then what happens to your new signed recruits ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          Hook....

Seems like they will grant an extra year and allow scholarship exemptions.

The thing is, at our level, I think fewer than 50% of the kids will take the extra year. Many will move on to jobs or whatever other plans they might have had rather than rack up another year of debt.

I think it would be a different choice for anyone on a full ride.
                          What about eligibility and use of this Spring semester? Sometimes kids have bad luck with injuries and hardship and have to sit out a final spring to play their last fall. I assume now, kids are getting this semester back? This will be a s**t show. Spring and Summer some kids get their GPAs on track and eligible. Also spring development jobs can be won.

Hopefully with classes and sports cancelled kids are taking the social distancing thing serious and not just partying.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                            Overreacting
                            Where did you mention that you got your license to practice medicine? "University of I got crapped faced Cancun". Furthermore, why don't you just hop in your car and go explain to someone's family that maybe just lost a grand parent or child to the virus that it's all overreacting. "ASSSS HAT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post

Where did you mention that you got your license to practice medicine? "University of I got crapped faced Cancun". Furthermore, why don't you just hop in your car and go explain to someone's family that maybe just lost a grand parent or child to the virus that it's all overreacting. "ASSSS HAT!!!!
                              I read a good quote from a School Super today.

Something like " If we do something and get this right, we may never know. If we do nothing and get it wrong, we will definitely know."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X