Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival of schools (Thoughts??)

Comment

This has been coming for a while, but covid is certainly going to speed it along, imo.

Comment

Comment

Has anyone actually spoken with students about their experiences with online classes? The ones I have do not like it and are clamoring to be back on campus. While I agree with the loss of worthless majors, I'm not yet convinced a majority of the traditional students will go for the online college experience. I do think things will look different...if college football gets taken away in the fall I think that will really change the sports landscape...losing out on all the money from CFB will kill college sports as we know it.

Comment

Comment

I'd play, but I don't think arenas of higher education would...too much risk for bad publicity and most if not all follow the flawed models predicting millions of deaths and the only way to stop it is total shutdown. The non-shut down models in Japan, Singapore, Taiwan have much lower death rates and Sweden's are similar to the US and none of them shut down their economies.

Comment

My daughter is in school, and while she and her friends miss the social aspects of being in on and around campus, they don't mind the online classes.

Most students these days turn in assignments remotely, and take an onlne class or two a semester anyway.

Comment

Although the experiantial/hands on classes are impossible to do remotely, so people in majors with lots of that are definitely getting shortchanged.

Comment

Urbana from the MEC closed today.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
                      Has anyone actually spoken with students about their experiences with online classes? The ones I have do not like it and are clamoring to be back on campus. While I agree with the loss of worthless majors, I'm not yet convinced a majority of the traditional students will go for the online college experience. I do think things will look different...if college football gets taken away in the fall I think that will really change the sports landscape...losing out on all the money from CFB will kill college sports as we know it.
                      I was thinking last night...

I wish a way existed to evaluate the quality of learning in the two models beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it." I don't know that there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I was thinking last night...

I wish a way existed to evaluate the quality of learning in the two models beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it." I don't know that there is.
                        My oldest is in Engineering at Iowa State...that is definitely a hands on major. She's missing out on a Materials Engineering Lab this spring...watching videos of it instead of doing it. She doesn't think it is any substitute.

If attending college on campus stops or is significantly negatively impacted, I doubt college sports will continue to be anywhere near what they are now.

Comment

My oldest is in Engineering at Iowa State...that is definitely a hands on major. She's missing out on a Materials Engineering Lab this spring...watching videos of it instead of doing it. She doesn't think it is any substitute.

If attending college on campus stops or is significantly negatively impacted, I doubt college sports will continue to be anywhere near what they are now.
                          I can definitely see that being a major where on campus is really important..

As to the latter part. Big time college sports is so far removed from its' original purpose that it might be a good thing in some ways.

Comment

Comment

I'd play, but I don't think arenas of higher education would...too much risk for bad publicity and most if not all follow the flawed models predicting millions of deaths and the only way to stop it is total shutdown. The non-shut down models in Japan, Singapore, Taiwan have much lower death rates and Sweden's are similar to the US and none of them shut down their economies.
                              Last edited by GorillaTeacher; 04-22-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X