Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      I think tuition at Pitt was around 700 bucks in 88 when I started there.
      When I started in 1990 it was just under $500 a semester.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaum turk View Post

You are probably right. It was so long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
          Has anyone actually spoken with students about their experiences with online classes? The ones I have do not like it and are clamoring to be back on campus. While I agree with the loss of worthless majors, I'm not yet convinced a majority of the traditional students will go for the online college experience. I do think things will look different...if college football gets taken away in the fall I think that will really change the sports landscape...losing out on all the money from CFB will kill college sports as we know it.
          I'm currently in a few online courses through Minnesota State. I can't be on campus (regardless of COVID) so it works. My hope is to transition into on-campus at some point so I can say I "went" there. There's really a big difference, IMO.

Anyway, it depends on the course and instructor. Generally speaking though, I prefer being in-classroom. I just learn better that way. It's easier to take notes, there are fewer distractions, and I can get in-person help if I need it. Online does have it's merits, but I'd just rather be in a classroom. I don't know of anyone who feels the opposite way.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaum turk View Post

My school brags about how it's one of the "lowest costs of attendance" (i.e. "cheapest") in the entire country - well, for out-of-state students.

Tuition alone is $8,000 a year - that doesn't include course fees, books, meal plans, and on-campus housing.

Factor in rising COL across the country and stagnated wages - how is this economically viable? Something has to give.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'm currently in a few online courses through Minnesota State. I can't be on campus (regardless of COVID) so it works. My hope is to transition into on-campus at some point so I can say I "went" there. There's really a big difference, IMO.

Anyway, it depends on the course and instructor. Generally speaking though, I prefer being in-classroom. I just learn better that way. It's easier to take notes, there are fewer distractions, and I can get in-person help if I need it. Online does have it's merits, but I'd just rather be in a classroom. I don't know of anyone who feels the opposite way.
              I went to college before the internet existed (hard for some of you to imagine). But I have taken some online courses over the past couple of decades for fun. And IMHO, the in-class courses are much better. The same goes for sporting events, I'd much rather be there live than to watch it on a screen from home. The interaction of the instructor and other students in a live setting is very important to me. Some may prefer online courses and class chat groups, but I'm pretty sure the majority of people still like the in-class setting best. Hang in there SW_Mustang.
              Last edited by crixus; 04-27-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I went to college before the internet existed (hard for some of you to imagine). But I have taken some online courses over the past couple of decades for fun. And IMHO, the in-class courses are much better. The same goes for sporting events, I'd much rather be there live than to watch it on a computer screen from home. The interaction of the instructor and other students in a live setting is very important to me. Some may prefer online courses and class chat groups, but I'm pretty sure the majority of people still like the in-class setting best. Hang in there SW_Mustang!
                Appreciate it!

I took Environmental Literature online and that worked out really well. Surprisingly, Accounting I online went well too - he set it up and delivered it effectively. For me, it depends on the course and the professor. I just get more out of being in a classroom than I do staring at a computer screen.

I'm making plans for Grad School - albeit that's still a few years out, but I will not be doing an "Online MBA." It feels cheap saying it. I want to be in a room with my instructor and fellow classmates.

Comment

Appreciate it!

I took Environmental Literature online and that worked out really well. Surprisingly, Accounting I online went well too - he set it up and delivered it effectively. For me, it depends on the course and the professor. I just get more out of being in a classroom than I do staring at a computer screen.

I'm making plans for Grad School - albeit that's still a few years out, but I will not be doing an "Online MBA." It feels cheap saying it. I want to be in a room with my instructor and fellow classmates.

Online MBA makes me think of the diploma mill known as the University of Phoenix. They've been sued so many times it's a joke. The Feds have fined them many times as well. But like you, I'd go the in class route. I majored in Radio-TV-Film, so a Masters degree wouldn't do me much good unless I wanted to teach, which I don't. It's good to keep the brain sharp, especially when you get older and that's why I take a course through UC San Diego Extension every couple of years. Good luck in your pursuits!
                  Last edited by crixus; 04-28-2020, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Online MBA makes me think of the University of Phoenix. They've been sued so many times it's a joke. The Feds have fined them many times as well. But like you, I'd go the in class route. I majored in Radio-TV-Film, so a Masters degree wouldn't do me much good unless I wanted to teach, which I don't. It's good to keep the brain sharp, especially when you get older and that's why I take a course through UC San Diego Extension every couple of years. Good luck in your pursuits!
                    Where did you go to college?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Where did you go to college?

I went to SJSU. My Mother went to Alderson Broaddus, I was raised on the Battlers.
                      Last edited by crixus; 04-28-2020, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Online MBA makes me think of the diploma mill known as the University of Phoenix. They've been sued so many times it's a joke. The Feds have fined them many times as well. But like you, I'd go the in class route. I majored in Radio-TV-Film, so a Masters degree wouldn't do me much good unless I wanted to teach, which I don't. It's good to keep the brain sharp, especially when you get older and that's why I take a course through UC San Diego Extension every couple of years. Good luck in your pursuits!
                        That's exactly how I feel too. Plus, I don't think someone can claim they "went" to a college if they didn't actually "go" there, if that makes sense. Sometimes just experiencing the campus and people is just as important as the education itself. Online MBAs from reputable schools are obviously geared towards students who can't be on campus, and there's a need for that - but it's just not what I want if I can avoid it. Also, I actually worked on a graduate project for part of my undergrad grade, and it was a huge collaborative effort. Things ran smoother the more people we could get in a room together and I got more out of it that way.

MBAs help some and they don't help others. It's all kind of based on career goals and what school the degree comes from, based on what I've read. I want one for the challenge, experience, and satisfaction more than anything. Obviously, $60,000+ for "satisfaction" is kind of steep, but I'll find a way to lessen the burden. Also, I went from barely graduating high school to now being able to pick from some pretty nice colleges to get an MBA from (assuming I get the relevant work experience), so I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity I earned as well.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure you already know, but a lot of schools are beginning to offer Certificate programs. It's a direction I've tried to help shift SMSU into, and I'm participating in one right now from Minnesota State. If you are taking classes here and there, it might be something to look into - you could always add it to your resume!

Comment

I went to SJSU. My Mother went to Alderson Broaddus, I was raised on the Battlers.
                          Neat!

It's been a dream of mine to live in California for some time and at one point I'd looked into transferring to UC/Cal State/CCCS to get me out there after I finished my AA degree. It wasn't meant to be though, and I decided to just stay closer to home.

Comment

That's exactly how I feel too. Plus, I don't think someone can claim they "went" to a college if they didn't actually "go" there, if that makes sense. Sometimes just experiencing the campus and people is just as important as the education itself. Online MBAs from reputable schools are obviously geared towards students who can't be on campus, and there's a need for that - but it's just not what I want if I can avoid it. Also, I actually worked on a graduate project for part of my undergrad grade, and it was a huge collaborative effort. Things ran smoother the more people we could get in a room together and I got more out of it that way.

MBAs help some and they don't help others. It's all kind of based on career goals and what school the degree comes from, based on what I've read. I want one for the challenge, experience, and satisfaction more than anything. Obviously, $60,000+ for "satisfaction" is kind of steep, but I'll find a way to lessen the burden. Also, I went from barely graduating high school to now being able to pick from some pretty nice colleges to get an MBA from (assuming I get the relevant work experience), so I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity I earned as well.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure you already know, but a lot of schools are beginning to offer Certificate programs. It's a direction I've tried to help shift SMSU into, and I'm participating in one right now from Minnesota State. If you are taking classes here and there, it might be something to look into - you could always add it to your resume!
                            I am working on a certificate, it's in Creative Writing (sorry I didn't meniton that above). I'm doing it for fun and to hopefully stay sharp. It's a six program course and I've completed four so far. I've been taking my time and soaking it in. If I were younger I'd rush through it as fast I could. But I'll be retiring in three years (when I hit 62) and will have earned the certificate by then. And hopefully by that time I'll have thought of something interesting to write about. :)

Comment

I am working on a certificate, it's in Creative Writing (sorry I didn't meniton that above). I'm doing it for fun and to hopefully stay sharp. It's a six program course and I've completed four so far. I've been taking my time and soaking it in. If I were younger I'd rush through it as fast I could. But I'll be retiring in three years (when I hit 62) and will have earned the certificate by then. And hopefully by that time I'll have thought of something interesting to write about. :)

Oh really, neat! It's been my experience that a lot of people aren't aware of certificate programs. I just like to spread the good news! That's really cool though, I'd love to study creative writing someday - maybe when I'm older :D

I'm doing an American Indigenous Studies certificate. I have four classes done, and I just need one more to finish. It's been going well, and I've actually considered moving into the BA program afterwards too, since I'd only need to polish off the major courses + a minor. We'll have to see how that goes. The neat thing is that even though I'm taking classes online, I get full student benefits - so the football and basketball games are free, the hockey games are at a reduced cost, and I get to use the library - which I've taken advantage of quite a few times. This school is one of only two in the world that offer instruction in the Dakota language too, so that's a goal of mine eventually.

Comment

https://www.newstribune.com/news/loc...igency/826858/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X