Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read: https://www.si.com/college/clemson/f...ootball-season
    The crucial timeline to make a decision, in my opinion, is July 12. Why? typically it takes a minimum of 7 weeks to get a team ready to play. Seven weeks from July 12 is THE START OF THE SEASON. Now, if we do have a "disjointed" season where a, let's assume, a Big 10 school has 6 games scheduled because many decided not to reopen, would this not be a perfect time for your school to be Entrepreneurial and play "X" Big 10 named school even if the only thing you get out of it is t.v. time and nothing else? My point is, just like the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919, many colleges shrank to insignificance because they closed down much similar to today.

Comment

Don't fire the tenured teachers...just drop football...solves a lot more than just Lincoln's budget issues ;-)

Comment

The NCAA is a voluntary body. I think if they try and exert pressure on member schools, they may find themselves largely irrelivent...partucularly to P5 schools. Is the NCAA really going to tell Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georga, Penn State, Texas, Florida, Michigan, USC, Stanford and Oregon that they cant play a 10 game schedule that they cant play?

Comment

I posted this under general discussion but this works just as well here.

Blast me if you want, keep in mind we are all sports fans here but...

I think that this whole mess shows a few things about college athletics:

1) That college athletic budgets (even at the D-I) level are on razor thin margins.
          2) That many teams are D-I that shouldn't be, and maybe some D-II schools that should be D-III.
          3) That colleges will be forced to re-evaluate having athletics at all. Especially those private schools that offer football for partial scholarships and use the program to generate enrollment. (Those will be hurt the most by cancelling the season.)
          4) That higher ed administration lacks the foresight to save even small amounts of those ever increasing tuition dollars for a rainy day, despite the fact that everyone knows "it is going to rain." (Don't give me that declining state funding line, tuition increases still outpace that.)
          5) That the whole university/college model is economically unsustainable (I blame the ever growing bureaucracy for that. Seriously, do they really need whole offices for the international branch for the office of gender equity and enhancement of intersectionality.)

We need systematic changes. Colleges put millions of people in tens of thousands of dollars in debt. While simultaneously going into debt going on building sprees (despite declining enrollment figures.) OU just had a newly minted president resign under pressure, and his only crime was trying to get the university out of $1 billion in debt. Or maybe I have been reading too much Dave Ramsey during this COVID situation.
          Go Bronchos!

Comment

Did MoWest ever leave Jr. College status.? To most they didn't

Comment

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...JZ_aA.facebook
              Go Bearcats!
              M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

For colleges and universities education should always come first, but sadly it doesn't in some instances. Some people have their priorities out of whack.
                Last edited by crixus; 05-15-2020, 09:56 PM.

Comment

in the real world success in the revenue sports drive enrollment & overall donations to a univ.
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

What are peoples thoughts on UCM cancelling their season and looking at dismantling football altogether?

Comment

Nebraska Christian is closing up.

https://www.nechristian.edu/news/202...campus-closure

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                        What are peoples thoughts on UCM cancelling their season and looking at dismantling football altogether?
                        i respected them more when they were stealing recruits
                        Go Bearcats!
                        M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                          I hadn't heard this. Do you have a link or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                            I hadn't heard this. Do you have a link or something?
                            I think it's called trolling!

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
                              in the real world success in the revenue sports drive enrollment & overall donations to a univ.
                              Not always. Fall of 2017 NW had it's lowest freshman enrollment in quite some time. That's when NW simultaneously held the BB and FB national championships. It's more prevalent to see that effect in the D1 world. Additionally, revenue sports drive donations but those donations are traditionally earmarked specifically for sports. If sports aren't in place then some donors will no longer donate but others will donate to academic pursuits.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Not always. Fall of 2017 NW had it's lowest freshman enrollment in quite some time. That's when NW simultaneously held the BB and FB national championships. It's more prevalent to see that effect in the D1 world. Additionally, revenue sports drive donations but those donations are traditionally earmarked specifically for sports. If sports aren't in place then some donors will no longer donate but others will donate to academic pursuits.
                                They knew Mel was going to retire in April of 2018 and NW Football would begin their descent to also ran status.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X