Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I saw a reference to endowments. Washburn's endowment is one of the largest if not the largest in the MIAA's at over $150M. A big percentage of that is due to the law school at Washburn. However, athletics is probably the next biggest reason for Washburn's fairly sizable endowment. Most universities in the MIAA don't have the luxury of a med school or a law school. Washburn if fortunate that they have the law school.
    Pitt State has the smallest endowment of the KS schools. 70 some mill, ESU is in the mid 80's, Hays in the 90's, and WU is at 158.

MoSo is at 37 mil

MO schools seem to have smaller endowments altogether. NW at 27 mil, MW at 34, UCM at 43

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post

I began at Northwest in the fall of '69. At that time they had so many students enrolled and no place to house them. They opened up and filled the old Quads. Three were filled with students and one with a fraternity. I was housed in Caufield Hall. They then filled the College Park with trailers and then used them as housing for the students. I imagine that is similar to what they might do today. Phillips Hall has been empty the last couple of years.
      I think NW and higher education in general look vastly different now than they did at that time. You also have to consider food services, classroom sizes, etc. Get too many students you have to have new dorms, food facilities, classrooms/classroom buildings, faculty, etc. There is a point of diminishing returns there as well. If anything, NW has been accepting/enrolling more students who don't meet admissions criteria than they had in previous years and will continue to do so (it's been fairly common for all institutions in the state for the last couple years). I don't think turning away students has been in the plans for any institution in the last few years or in the coming years.

Phillips is a no go. Only reason it is still standing is it is too expensive to tear down. It is not functional to have anyone living there. I've heard the amount to make it livable would essentially be the same cost as a new dorm or at least close enough in cost to make the new dorm the better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Pitt State has the smallest endowment of the KS schools. 70 some mill, ESU is in the mid 80's, Hays in the 90's, and WU is at 158.

MoSo is at 37 mil

MO schools seem to have smaller endowments altogether. NW at 27 mil, MW at 34, UCM at 43
        I'll trust that this is accurate and if so then that rising tide of athletics that was mentioned by another poster isn't lifting the boats at NW. At best NW is 8th in the conference in endowment with the most combined success in the two most visible sports over the last 10-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I'll trust that this is accurate and if so then that rising tide of athletics that was mentioned by another poster isn't lifting the boats at NW. At best NW is 8th in the conference in endowment with the most combined success in the two most visible sports over the last 10-20 years.
          They were 2017/2018 numbers that I googled a while back for another thread.

Comment

Has there been an effort to grow the endowment? It seems that most of the fundraising being done has been for construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Has there been an effort to grow the endowment? It seems that most of the fundraising being done has been for construction.
              There has been a capital campaign over the last few years. That probably has grown the endowment. In talking to people who work in fundraising, one of the issues they face is donors donate to one area but won't donate to multiple areas. Hence my comment from before that athletics benefits from athletic fundraising, not the overall university. As I said, if athletics aren't there then those donors are more likely to donate to other areas on campus.

With that in mind, I have to believe few of the capital campaign contributions have been the result of athletic success. I know a big project at the university is the Ag learning center. I highly doubt individuals or companies are donating to that project because the athletics teams are successful. I think they are also working to increase academic scholarship funds. Again, doubt athletics plays a large role in that.

Comment

There has been a capital campaign over the last few years. That probably has grown the endowment. In talking to people who work in fundraising, one of the issues they face is donors donate to one area but won't donate to multiple areas. Hence my comment from before that athletics benefits from athletic fundraising, not the overall university. As I said, if athletics aren't there then those donors are more likely to donate to other areas on campus.
                Why do you believe that's the case? What percentage who donate solely to athletics would donate to the academic side instead?

Couldn't it be argued that athletics helps maintain the connection people have with the university. I love, and I mean love, my academic department at my university, but it has never been a reason for me to return to campus. I have been on campus well over 100 times for athletic related reasons.

I'm not worried about athletics being eliminated at any of the core D2 schools. Good discussion.

Comment

With that in mind, I have to believe few of the capital campaign contributions have been the result of athletic success. I know a big project at the university is the Ag learning center. I highly doubt individuals or companies are donating to that project because the athletics teams are successful. I think they are also working to increase academic scholarship funds. Again, doubt athletics plays a large role in that.
                  Northwest fundraisers apparently disagree with you. The first item on the "Why Give?" page of their capital campaign site is "Championship Culture," mentioning both athletic and academic successes. Several of their donor stories mention athletics, often as a way to stay connected to the university:

Obviously it's not as simple as the school that's best at athletics also has the best enrollment and best fundraising, but there's undeniably a connection, it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Why do you believe that's the case? What percentage who donate solely to athletics would donate to the academic side instead?

Couldn't it be argued that athletics helps maintain the connection people have with the university. I love, and I mean love, my academic department at my university, but it has never been a reason for me to return to campus. I have been on campus well over 100 times for athletic related reasons.

I'm not worried about athletics being eliminated at any of the core D2 schools. Good discussion.

In short why I believe this- it's the words I've been told directly from foundation employees at the university.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Northwest fundraisers apparently disagree with you. The first item on the "Why Give?" page of their capital campaign site is "Championship Culture," mentioning both athletic and academic successes. Several of their donor stories mention athletics, often as a way to stay connected to the university:

Obviously it's not as simple as the school that's best at athletics also has the best enrollment and best fundraising, but there's undeniably a connection, it seems to me.
                      See my comment above to Brandon. I don't think there's no connection, just not as substantial as some believe. I appreciate the quotes but sausage making of fundraising and the marketing material I'm sure look very different.

As Brandon said, good discussion all around but I think I'm just repeating myself at this point. It all depends on our viewpoints- those of us who love sports will be able to justify it's role in supporting a university and those who have no affinity for athletics can find reasons why it doesn't help the university. Most likely the truth is somewhere in between and depends on the individual.

Comment

I love sports, but I definitely see both sides of it. I mean look at Pitt. They draw in big donors for one time projects, but the students end up paying for the upkeep long term. OTOH, football brings in money from ticket buyers who will never be donors, so it opens up a 3rd stream.

As long as athletics doesn't become the focus above academics, I think it's more good than bad. Luckily, I don't think there are any D2 schools where that is anywhere close to happening.

Comment

I agree on sports being the front porch of a University. It's the most visible aspect. However, no one is donating money to a University for academic scholarships for education majors because the football team is good. They're donating to the athletic dept or football team so they can feel like they're part of the winning formula.

Not sure if it was in this thread or another but someone listed endowments for a few MIAA schools. We were behind MO Southern, emporia, Pitt, and Western I believe as well. No one in the MIAA has had as much success over the last 10 years as NW when it comes to the two most visible sports, yet we're still at the bottom of the fundraising dollars. If rising tides lift all boats we would be at or near top of that list.
                          obv not everybody but i can tell you with absolutely certainty that it isn't nobody either.

you're drawing conclusions that aren't necessarily true presuming to know where the school would necessarily be w/o athl success.

adding some context,

50 years ago the state elevated mowest from a 2 to 4 yr school at a time at the very least it can be argued it wasn't necessarily needed in the area. that hurt us. how bad? idk it would be impossible to measure that but i do know that we're an aggie/teachers college (ie not cranking out doctors & lawyers w/ spades of disposable income) that thereafter roughly 30 yrs ago came w/in an eyelash of closing it's doors (& it wasn't b/c the school was growing bennies on trees) & survived b/c of innovation & desperation & frankly smart people motivated to survive. i don't think it's too simplistic to say that the electronic campus initiative when no one else was doing it essentially saved us.
                          roughly 20 yrs ago we started racking fball titles.

& now you're downplaying the financial importance of athletic success b/c we're not leading the pack in part in a category that frankly takes decades to grow. it's the ultimate snowball effect.
                          Last edited by northwest missouri state; 05-31-2020, 02:48 PM.
                          Go Bearcats!
                          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I had a couple of relatives from Iowa that went to Northwest. They joked about there being so many Iowa kids at NW that it should be renamed Southwest Iowa University. Apparently, it was less expensive to go out of state to Missouri than it was to stay in state in Iowa. Any idea what the percentages are for kids at NW from Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas?

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
                              I had a couple of relatives from Iowa that went to Northwest. They joked about there being so many Iowa kids at NW that it should be renamed Southwest Iowa University. Apparently, it was less expensive to go out of state to Missouri than it was to stay in state in Iowa. Any idea what the percentages are for kids at NW from Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas?
                              Becoming very similar at Truman, especially since on Athletics rosters because there is only D2 school in Iowa. School dynamics as a whole though shifting to more Iowa and Illinois students and not as St. Louis heavy as it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
                                Early 70's, as students, we referred to Northwest as Southwest Iowa. It was about 1100 a year to go there. That was 550 per semester. You could work a summer job and make enough to pay for the whole year.There were a ton of Iowa students back then. Not so much now. Although I have two grandchildren there now. And we have had several student from our high school on the football team.
                                Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X