Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post

Early 70's, as students, we referred to Northwest as Southwest Iowa. It was about 1100 a year to go there. That was 550 per semester. You could work a summer job and make enough to pay for the whole year.There were a ton of Iowa students back then. Not so much now. Although I have two grandchildren there now. And we have had several student from our high school on the football team.

I was at UCM during that period and I made enough money in the summer to pay for my tuition and books for the year. I worked for a company in KC that manufactured roofing materials and I earned union wages. I loaded trucks and boxcars swinging 90 lbs rolls of roofing and 80 lbs bundles of shingles. The regular guys rode my ass for being a 'college kid'. I made it a point to bust my ass and after a couple of weeks I didn't hear anymore of the 'college kid' crap.

I had several friends from out of state. Lots from Iowa and the midwest, but also lots of kids from the east coast because of the lower cost.
    Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 05-31-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

See my comment above to Brandon. I don't think there's no connection, just not as substantial as some believe. I appreciate the quotes but sausage making of fundraising and the marketing material I'm sure look very different.

As Brandon said, good discussion all around but I think I'm just repeating myself at this point. It all depends on our viewpoints- those of us who love sports will be able to justify it's role in supporting a university and those who have no affinity for athletics can find reasons why it doesn't help the university. Most likely the truth is somewhere in between and depends on the individual.
      There is some crossover.
      At Pitt it shows up in the empty, but paid for season ticket seats. The people who get called casual fans and boring. A lot of them are academic supporters of the school, and use games as more of a social outlet that also helps out athletics..

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
        There is some crossover.
        At Pitt it shows up in the empty, but paid for season ticket seats. The people who get called casual fans and boring. A lot of them are academic supporters of the school, and use games as more of a social outlet that also helps out athletics..
        Just a side note on football season ticket holders at UCM.....I don't think there are all that many, unless most of them are sitting in the suites. As soon as individual game tickets open up for sale in August I look to see how many seats are blocked out for every game and it's not all that many.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
          I had a couple of relatives from Iowa that went to Northwest. They joked about there being so many Iowa kids at NW that it should be renamed Southwest Iowa University. Apparently, it was less expensive to go out of state to Missouri than it was to stay in state in Iowa. Any idea what the percentages are for kids at NW from Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas?
          I am from Iowa and was undergrad from 1991-93 and grad school from 94-95, and this is 100% a fact for both!

Comment

Comment

Was there and did that.
              Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

I think reparations are due to somebody over your actions.

Comment

I think reparations are due to somebody over your words and actions.

Comment

Yes, reparations are due from Iowa. Those pig farmers came to Maryville.....got educated on the cheap and then stole the best cornfed coeds and retreated back to Iowa.
                    Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 06-05-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• This may not help....enrollment or recruiting

https://www.nwmissourinews.com/news/...48a60464c.html

Comment

• Originally posted by backintheday View Post
                        This may not help....enrollment or recruiting

https://www.nwmissourinews.com/news/...48a60464c.html
                        There's little they can do because of the first amendment. If you read the story, some other kids involved in it have withdrawn from their colleges of choice. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

• Comment

• They'd probably rescind the offer I would imagine.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

They'd probably rescind the offer I would imagine.
                              They would rescind the offer because a crime was committed or because of how it looks to the university?
                              The video while insensitive is not a crime and to me is an example of kids taking things too far.
                              I know I committed several misdemeanors when I was in college. Thank God for no camera phones and only the beginnings of an internet back then!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wallst View Post

They would rescind the offer because a crime was committed or because of how it looks to the university?
                                The video while insensitive is not a crime and to me is an example of kids taking things too far.
                                I know I committed several misdemeanors when I was in college. Thank God for no camera phones and only the beginnings of an internet back then!
                                In my experience, administrations are hellbent on image - so they would rescind the offer because of how it reflects on the university. They don't want their public image tarnished.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X