• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA football season suspended !

And there it is. No fall season.
    Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Spring will be interesting. I hope that they get to play some football at that time.

Comment

Hate to see the fall season canceled but its probably the right thing to do

Comment

Comment

Kind of changed my mind on this because it sounds like they can still practice and weight train. Everything but play the games. Would one 3 hour game a week be that risky?

Comment

House parties all over town-no masks or social distancing-is this more risky than playing FB?

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                House parties all over town-no masks or social distancing-is this more risky than playing FB?
                Nope!

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                  IMO those activities are indeed more risky than playing football, volleyball etc.

As campus's open up for fall classes, (UCM opened Aug 13 for first year students exactly five months from the first COVID decision) with precautions and guidelines in place, it is those hours outside of class and one's personal behavior that is going to determine what will happen. Of the positive cases in Johnson County Missouri, the age group with the most positive cases is 20 - 24 with the second being under 20 years of age. Those two groups combined are just under 50% of all positive cases. Why, because kids think it is no big deal and are not taking precautions. House parties are going to increase with students returning and one cannot drink while wearing a mask.

With that in mind, do you really think that athletes are not going to go to these parties or even host them? Nope. If we were playing, how would a coach respond to a star player who is acting irresponsibly and putting the team at risk? What if it were the girlfriend or friend of the player? The coach is in a lose/lose situation. If they take action, their odds of winning decrease and their job may be in jeopardy. If they do nothing, are they abdicating their moral responsibilities to the other players and their families? Add to this the new mandates that the NCAA put out, schools can't afford the cost of testing. While it stinks, it was the right decision to try and move things to the spring.

As for institutions holding classes in person for the fall semester, the students will determine the outcome. As someone who works in higher ed it's worrisome. Will students take COVID seriously or are they more concerned with socializing? I have no control over that but they hold the hold the fate of numerous university employees , local communities and those who work in these communities in their hands. Do they realize this or even care? Students hold all of the power and I for one am hopeful that the majority of folks will behave in a responsible manner. It was refreshing to see people walking campus, traffic backed up on streets, dining halls ringing loudly with voices laughter etc. People want to get back to some sense of normalcy that existed pre-COVID and that is happening with students returning to campus. I ask that each of you reach out to your children, grandchildren, friends and families with college age students and implore to them to act responsibly as they head to campus. While some things have changed, they too can have a meaningful college experience if they, and the people they associate with, adhere to the guidelines put into place.

Comment

I just don't see why the MIAA is saying that they will revisit this in January. I would think that they would keep revisiting this month to month, that way if this all gets better (hope is the big word here) that the fall sports can start a little earlier, such as January. If football get started earlier in January, then it gives those kids that might have to have after season surgery etc more time to heal for the fall season of 2021, if that happens.

Comment

To my understanding this is more about what the guidelines are for playing set my the NCAA. It's about testing protocol etc and schools just don't have the funding for these now mandated guidelines. Others please chime in if I am off base here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
                        To my understanding this is more about what the guidelines are for playing set my the NCAA. It's about testing protocol etc and schools just don't have the funding for these now mandated guidelines. Others please chime in if I am off base here.
                        This made it impossible for D2 to play, but the B1G and Pac12 have plenty of funding and they still folded up shop, costing the member schools millions of dollars. The conspiracy theorists will tell you it's all a political play to remove Trump. IMHO, it's more about potential liability and science than anything. I find it very hard to believe for-profits hospitals cancelled millions of elective surgeries costing them a gazillion dollars just to put Biden in office so the Democrats could privatize medical care costing them gazillion more. I'm surprised there are not more restrictions on practices this fall, but am guessing it won't be long before there are.
                        Last edited by GoCatsGo5; 08-15-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
                          I think you are absolutely 100% correct. The decision made by the NCAA have made it impossible for smaller schools to continue athletics and meet the requirements set forth by the NCAA (and in some areas local health departments).

I think there is a lot more to this than just the idea of COVID-19 contact with players. I know in Michigan, certain aspects of school sports are not yet available. For example High School volleyball teams (and I think college teams as well), are prohibited from practicing indoors at this time due to an order by the governor. It is a bit difficult to play when you can't practice properly. I know summer weight training has been limited to outdoors only for high schools and likely colleges as well. Another two semester college sport (swimming and diving), can't practice indoors right now, as all indoor pools are closed in Michigan.

Colleges are likely running into more issues with health department regulations than they are with anything else. With most conferences crossing state lines, you have to consider all members of the conference and what they are capable of doing.

Comment

If you scheduled a game every two or three weeks and tested before games you could control outbreak if players follow good practices for health. Football should be easiest of contact sports to controll.

But another factor beside cost us this eligibility. If the players play less than half the games they can keep this years eligibility so you a school why risk you championship level team when there is no championship .

It's easy money the spring won't seegamre either and they will punt till 2021 fall at d2 level

Comment

Why get kids hopes up? There won't be spring football for the seniors and unless they have serious NFL aspirations they should move on to their careers. January to like April in Kansas in Missouri could be snowed and iced out games.

Hope everyone on the board is staying healthy and taking precautions. Daughters a nurse and this thing is not just the flu.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X