Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

No, the infection killed him. The other pieces are contributing factors as to why he got the infection, and would help explain why the infection was so hard to fight off, but ultimately the infection killed him.

It would be like saying his roommate caused his death. His roommate drank his milk, he drove to the store to get more, he got in a car accident, suffered cardiac arrest, got an infection - and then died. Had his roommate not drank his milk, he'd still be alive.
    You can't just eliminate those other factors from cause of death. It isn't the most recent or the first. They re all causes of death. Which is exactly how death certificates have and always will be filled out and the semantics of each case should be left up to the attending physician or coroner to decide, because they are the ones familiar with the case.

Just like with HIV/AIDs. Rarely, if ever, do people die only afflicted with HIV/AIDs, but to disregard it in the COD would be logically and factually incorrect. And before anyone says anything about my analogy, understand I know it is an extreme comparison to illustrate the point.

Are people implying that COVID couldn't put stress on the body to cause heart failure, and thus shouldn't be included in the cause? Or people get infections from being on ventilators in an induced coma and again, COVID shouldn't be listed as COD?

That's ridiculous and contrary to the procedures already in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

You can't just eliminate those other factors from cause of death. It isn't the most recent or the first. They re all causes of death. Which is exactly how death certificates have and always will be filled out and the semantics of each case should be left up to the attending physician or coroner to decide, because they are the ones familiar with the case.

Just like with HIV/AIDs. Rarely, if ever, do people die only afflicted with HIV/AIDs, but to disregard it in the COD would be logically and factually incorrect. And before anyone says anything about my analogy, understand I know it is an extreme comparison to illustrate the point.

Are people implying that COVID couldn't put stress on the body to cause heart failure, and thus shouldn't be included in the cause? Or people get infections from being on ventilators in an induced coma and again, COVID shouldn't be listed as COD?

That's ridiculous and contrary to the procedures already in practice.
      I never said other factors should completely be eliminated - but fatalities should be added to the count if COVID-19 was the determining factor in someone's death.

On the flip side, just because a person had COVID-19 and passed away doesn't mean that was the determining factor in their death - those probably shouldn't be counted.

Nothing wrong with reporting other issues like underlying causes, but to put an asterisk next to those fatalities is silly, IMO. They died because they had COVID-19.

Comment

I never said other factors should completely be eliminated - but fatalities should be added to the count if COVID-19 was the determining factor in someone's death.

On the flip side, just because a person had COVID-19 and passed away doesn't mean that was the determining factor in their death - those probably shouldn't be counted.

Nothing wrong with reporting other issues like underlying causes, but to put an asterisk next to those fatalities is silly, IMO. They died because they had COVID-19.
        At a minimum, it (COVID) certainly accelerated things!

Comment

What most don't understand or reporting on is that the Corona Virus can mutate into something even more deadlier.

Comment

how does one tell?

Comment

how does one tell?
              I don't have the answer to that.

My guess is that most fatalities were previously diagnosed cases under some kind of care - so the symptoms were monitored by a medical professional who could make that determination. Otherwise I guess they could test the body for a certain amount of time after death and do an autopsy to determine if COVID-19 was the cause, but that would take a ton of time and resources so I doubt that's happening.

Again, I don't really have the authority to answer that question with any kind of certainty.

Comment

A good question is how much higher than normal is the total number of all deaths this year?

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                  A good question is how much higher than normal is the total number of all deaths this year?
                  That is a good question, but one that is readily available.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

Comment

That is a good question, but one that is readily available.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm
                    I just saw that yesterday on CNN and the number of deaths for so far in 2020 was 200,000 more than the statistical norm. So either the covid count of 185,000 is low or the stress of all this is killing more.

Comment

Definitely not an either, probably both

Comment

Comment

Exactly, Iowa St. Playing University of Iowa not. In Utah they have furloughed the U of Utah athletic department while 50 miles away BYU is playing. If anyone has the chance please listen to Clay Travis out kick the coverage radio show he has been railing on the Big10 and Pac12 for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post

Exactly, Iowa St. Playing University of Iowa not. In Utah they have furloughed the U of Utah athletic department while 50 miles away BYU is playing. If anyone has the chance please listen to Clay Travis out kick the coverage radio show he has been railing on the Big10 and Pac12 for a few months.

Paper or plastic, mask-up or not, eat-in or carry out, no MIAA football, worlds are colliding.and I'm left tailgating in the driveway with the old lady......stop the ride, I want off.

Comment

Life is a carnival
                              Believe it or not
                              Life is a carnival
                              Two bits a shot

The Band

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                                Life is a carnival
                                Believe it or not
                                Life is a carnival
                                Two bits a shot