Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Small-Town High School Football Programs for Each State

Have no idea how objective this is, but interesting nonetheless. Being from Iowa, that was fairly easy guess. Having spent most of my life in Missouri, that was fairly easy guess too. The rankings might be a surprise except the top 2.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/best-s...d52fe170c54682
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Last edited by NWFanatic; 10-26-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I was in Harlan about a month and a half ago - had to stop and see the football stadium. Very impressive program.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
        Have no idea how objective this is, but interesting nonetheless. Being from Iowa, that was fairly easy guess. Having spent most of my life in Missouri, that was fairly easy guess too. The rankings might be a surprise except the top 2.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/best-s...d52fe170c54682
        Last edited by Twincitiesmav; 10-27-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Kansas imo was pretty clear with Smith Center. Not many schools can say they had a New York Times Best Seller written about them.

Only other possibility would be Silver Lake (CJ Hamilton is still coaching with over 400 wins).

I was surprise Minnesota was not Caledonia. They are another small school powerhouse nationally that has had a book written about them.

Comment

Caledonia vs Mahnohmen-Waubun- I'd put my money on the Warriors. My cousin taught there- he said that the athletes were incredible.

Comment

CatFan88 Cool article, thanks for sharing. I went to a small town high school in Twentynine Palms, California. It has more than 25,000 people now, but when I lived there it had around 7,500.

Comment

Originally posted by BartonTiger View Post
                Kansas imo was pretty clear with Smith Center. Not many schools can say they had a New York Times Best Seller written about them.

Only other possibility would be Silver Lake (CJ Hamilton is still coaching with over 400 wins).
                I probably would've taken Silver Lake, just because the success was more evenly spread than Smith Center's and I think SL has been better in their non-title years, but it's hard to argue with the peak for SC.

It's a fun debate to get into.

Comment

Caledonia, MN is possibly the best small school football in the country. They are just simply dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                    Caledonia, MN is possibly the best small school football in the country. They are just simply dominant.
                    Must be pretty good in basketball too with Eli King who signed to play with Iowa St.
                    Go Hounds!
                    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                    Cyclone Power
                    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

Must be pretty good in basketball too with Eli King who signed to play with Iowa St.
                      They have been really good in Basketball as well. If it wasn't for Covid and a little tinkering by the high school league's school population requirements, Caledonia would have been back to back state champs IMO.

Comment

I'll talk a little about #41 (Woodland High in CT) - I lived in Beacon Falls a few years before the high school was built, and they have been quite successful over they years they have existed. What they don't get into, however, is the fact that they are a regional school, and also serves the neighboring town of Prospect, which has a population of about 10,000. Still, they have a strong program.

The football titan in that area of CT is Ansonia HS (population of about 19,000), about a 10-minute drive from Woodland HS. They typically run the table in the regular season and will only lose in the state playoffs (if they do lose). Woodland is one of the few teams to beat Ansonia in recent years in the regular season. Ansonia has won 20 state titles in the past 50 years or so. Steve Coughlin (ESPN's "Stanford Steve") played QB there along with Sandy Osiecki, who had a cup of coffee with the Chiefs back in 1984 and is probably best known for throwing the record-breaking fourth pick-6 in a game against Seattle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qzg_7ePHjo).

CT (really, most of New England) isn't all that big on football, although there are some pockets of interest - Woodland is in the Naugatuck Valley in CT, where Naugatuck, Woodland, Seymour (New Haven's Ryan Osiecki, who holds most of their passing records and one of Sandy Osiecki's sons, went there), Derby, and Shelton (ESPN's Dan Orlovsky went there) have all been good from time to time and are all within a 25-minute drive of each other.

Comment

Hard to ARgue with Webb CIty. Lamar is probably the only school that's a close second to them..

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                            I'll talk a little about #41 (Woodland High in CT) - I lived in Beacon Falls a few years before the high school was built, and they have been quite successful over they years they have existed. What they don't get into, however, is the fact that they are a regional school, and also serves the neighboring town of Prospect, which has a population of about 10,000. Still, they have a strong program.

The football titan in that area of CT is Ansonia HS (population of about 19,000), about a 10-minute drive from Woodland HS. They typically run the table in the regular season and will only lose in the state playoffs (if they do lose). Woodland is one of the few teams to beat Ansonia in recent years in the regular season. Ansonia has won 20 state titles in the past 50 years or so. Steve Coughlin (ESPN's "Stanford Steve") played QB there along with Sandy Osiecki, who had a cup of coffee with the Chiefs back in 1984 and is probably best known for throwing the record-breaking fourth pick-6 in a game against Seattle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qzg_7ePHjo).

CT (really, most of New England) isn't all that big on football, although there are some pockets of interest - Woodland is in the Naugatuck Valley in CT, where Naugatuck, Woodland, Seymour (New Haven's Ryan Osiecki, who holds most of their passing records and one of Sandy Osiecki's sons, went there), Derby, and Shelton (ESPN's Dan Orlovsky went there) have all been good from time to time and are all within a 25-minute drive of each other.
                            Thanks for sharing... this is all really interesting. As a lifelong Chiefs fan, I can honestly say, I don't remember Sandy Osiecki. At all. But watching the YouTube video, I'm obviously not alone. lol That's a fun clip even though the Chiefs are on the wrong side of that history. Todd Blackledge brings up a lot of bad memories... the bust of the 83 draft especially when you look at the quarterbacks who went later in the first round. The Chiefs were too scared to try that again for 34 years... thank goodness we got that one right!! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

I probably would've taken Silver Lake, just because the success was more evenly spread than Smith Center's and I think SL has been better in their non-title years, but it's hard to argue with the peak for SC.

It's a fun debate to get into.
                              Hammas was wasting away at Topeka Washburn pushing out good lineman. He switched with buhler and immediately became a dynasty

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X