Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often are the teams getting tested? Was this the first time they'd been tested? NW all clear or did they have to move any kids into isolation?

Comment

My personal experience differs. We played baseball all summer. No masks. No social distancing. We played against teams from all over. Not a single case.

And maybe UV light is not as effective as I believe and scientists who I trust believe. But if the dispersion of aerosol is better outside, wouldn't that further prove that Bearcat Arena full of fans would be a more threatening scenario than Mel Tjeerdsma Field full of fans? (Yes I was speaking primarily about spectators.)

And while this is a side to our conversation, there seems to be a great benefit to Vitamin D in both warding off the virus and fighting it if one does get it. I didn't mention that previously because I didn't think it was applicable in our imaginary scenario.

Comment

There's going to be a lot of wasted orange slices

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Yes, but safest compared to:

- no sports at all?
          - compared to all other sports?
          - compared only to basketball?

If you're saying compared to no sports at all then that's obviously not accurate. If you are saying compared to all other sports then I can think of numerous other sports that are safer to play during COVID than football (track, tennis, golf, etc.). If you are comparing it only to basketball then that is debatable. Inside v. outside favors football but football also has 10-12 players in each others' faces repeatedly throughout a game at the line of scrimmage, not to mention the pile ups after plays.

The biggest issue basketball is going to have is if one person gets it then it's almost certain the entire team who have not already been positive will go into quarantine which is going to cancel 2 weeks of games immediately.
          There has been zero evidence to show football is a spreader. Zero. That would seem to make it pretty darn safe as far as sports go.
          As far as no sports being safer than football I disagree. I think all college sports should be played or at least have practices. To me there is nothing more dangerous to ones health than a finely tuned college athlete with down time on their hands. The old saying " idle hands are the devils handiwork". I would much rather have kids taking care of their bodies and minds by playing the sport(s) they love, get tested regulary, and have safety protocols in place instead of sitting around their dorm rooms or houses playing X Box with their buddies with no masks on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

There has been zero evidence to show football is a spreader. Zero. That would seem to make it pretty darn safe as far as sports go.
            As far as no sports being safer than football I disagree. I think all college sports should be played or at least have practices. To me there is nothing more dangerous to ones health than a finely tuned college athlete with down time on their hands. The old saying " idle hands are the devils handiwork". I would much rather have kids taking care of their bodies and minds by playing the sport(s) they love, get tested regulary, and have safety protocols in place instead of sitting around their dorm rooms or houses playing X Box with their buddies with no masks on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

My personal experience differs. We played baseball all summer. No masks. No social distancing. We played against teams from all over. Not a single case.

And maybe UV light is not as effective as I believe and scientists who I trust believe. But if the dispersion of aerosol is better outside, wouldn't that further prove that Bearcat Arena full of fans would be a more threatening scenario than Mel Tjeerdsma Field full of fans? (Yes I was speaking primarily about spectators.)

And while this is a side to our conversation, there seems to be a great benefit to Vitamin D in both warding off the virus and fighting it if one does get it. I didn't mention that previously because I didn't think it was applicable in our imaginary scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

As to the spectator part, if you look at my comment I agreed with you on that aspect. My reference was mainly to players.
                Right. We might be talking past each other. It's also another example of how anecdotal accounts are only part of a bigger story.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
                  How often are the teams getting tested? Was this the first time they'd been tested? NW all clear or did they have to move any kids into isolation?

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post

With the Bods out, it looks like the Mules and Bearcats will play for all the marbles in the Scrimmage Bowl on November 21 in "the ville".

Let's get back to the (really) important stuff, like the Scrimmage Bowl. The Bearcats win the first half by 3 points and the Mules win the second half by 3 points. Overtime goes 2 hours with no scoring and the fans retreat to the tailgate lot to suck suds and claim victory. Greenwood Bearcat is flagged for a late hit on a Mules cheerleader and the Mules fans are awarded a free kick. KMA nails a 180 yard field goal from the parking lot for the win.
                    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 11-08-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Let's hope the Washburn players all have a quick recovery from Covid-19. Also hoping the Mules and Bearcats can stay virus free and play a little football on Nov.21. Last I heard, only the player's families were going to be allowed to attend the game. Is that still the case?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X