Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were appointed as a "Division II Commissoner?"

If you were appointed by the NCAA to be a commissioner of Division II, what changes would you make? If you can please separate these between football, non-football, and overall.
    Go Bronchos!

Comment

Re: If you were appointed as a "Division II Commissoner?"

The one thing I'd change is to allow every D2 student-athlete 5 years to complete his degree, No more med RS. A kid comes in as a freshman, he has 5 years eligibility. If he transfers in, he has 5 years total. If a kid can come in and play as a freshman, he can play 5 years. If he comes in as a juco grad, he has 3 more years.

The average student that graduates today takes 5 years. Being an athlete and going to school is even more difficult. How often do we know a kid that plays D2 and does not get his degree because he ran out of eligibility a semester short of graduation? That is not a fair way to treat a kid.

I would increase the d2 football scholarships from 36 to 48 max total. The D2 minimum FB schollies to compete in D2 would be 36. Basketball would go to 12 rides. Maybe add a couple rides to VB, SB, baseball, track, soccer.

You would lose many underfunded struggling D2 schools (they should go D3), but you just might pick up some FCS schools if D2 was seen as less "small potatoes" due to the underfunded struggling D2 have-nots.

Maybe change the name from D2 to College Championship Series, CCS.
      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I'll use a basketball example but this could work in all sports.

Since I hate first round conference matchups and I don't believe regionalization is going away, combine 2 regions for the tournament (playoffs). Let's say you combine the Central and the Midwest regions, I can see two possible ways to achieve my goal of no first round conference matchups:

1. The Central Regional would consist of the top 4 from the Central and the bottom 4 from the Midwest and the opposite for the Midwest Regional.
        2. The Central Regional would consist of the odd seeds from the Central and the even seeds from the Midwest (and again the opposite for the Midwest).

The first method would be the best attempt to ensure all regions represented in the Elite 8 and second the most equal distribution in the regionals.

Whether regions are combined or not, I would also make 2 subregionals with the championship at the higher seed sometime between the subregional and the elite 8. This should help with attendance and would eliminate finals like the Central region had in 2014. A game between CentralMO & Northwest played in front of a few hundred people (and attendance would probably have been worse if the Mule's Preston Brunz wasn't from Mankato). That game would have drawn 5000+ in Warrensburg since the Mules were the higher seed.

Comment

it's ez to say i'd develop better refs but that costs $. the main driver as to why officiating in d2 is what it is imo is the age old adage that you get what you pay for. so my ? would be where yer getting the $ to do that.

regionalization in terms of the po's is necessary i think to the end of controlling expenses.

i too would limit conf's to 10 teams leaving 2 ooc games for each school. if evry league's playing under those terms i would think sched'g would take care of itself in such an environment.

i'd wack the po field back down to 6 teams per region. exhibit a as to why there are too many po participants:

https://bearcatsports.com/boxscore.a...otball&id=3992

that was a 2r po game. that school actually beat someone else who made the po's prior to getting the rolla treatment. we didn't need to play that game.

d2 just isn't deep enough to support all these participants. think we needed azusa pacific in the po's just to fig out they couldn't hang in 2018? me neither. there is no doubt that part of the reason we get schools in the po's beyond the size of the field is the way teams are selected. earned access is out. po participants selected by a committee with criteria & voting a matter of public record. the committee would be comprised of a representative from each conference competing in d2 & would rotate every 3 yrs. i ain't worried about league champs not getting in when they aren't deserving. those schools need to do better. frankly we could probably go back to 4 schools per region but whatev.

i wouldn't mess with scholarships. schools aren't moving down b/c they think 40-some odd schollies made d2 more big time. doesn't matter what the # is, there is a prestige/brand bump that comes with being d1 that d2 cannot offer regardless of the rest of it. the schools that are struggling to compete are getting what they pay for more often than not same as the refs in terms of what they're investing into their product.

& then like anything else watch & see how these changes impact things moving forward & tweak where necessary.
          Go Bearcats!
          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Play golf, and draw a paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              Since I hate first round conference matchups and I don't believe regionalization is going away, combine 2 regions for the tournament (playoffs).
              They do this in golf. Ten teams from each region qualify for the postseason, and each of the four regionals has teams from two regions: West/South Central, Central/Midwest, South/Southeast, and Atlantic/East.

And they usually determine the number of teams that qualify for the finals from each regional based on the previous year's performance. This year it's 7 from S/SE, 6 from C/MW, 4 from W/SC, and 3 from ATL/E. Of course that wouldn't work in win-lose sports.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                If you were appointed by the NCAA to be a commissioner of Division II, what changes would you make? If you can please separate these between football, non-football, and overall.
                Figure our a way to get more D-2 football on the west coast (particularly more GNAC playing schools).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X