Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Predict: 2019 Gatekeeper Team

Feels like Pitt State has been the conference's gatekeeper team from 2012 to the present. No reason to think that will change this year. It had been CMSU/UCM from forever up until 2012.

And while I don't know if I think they will be, I do think it's fair enough to use a reigning champ as a gatekeeper in an instance like this because they aren't the same team they were last year (just like last year wasn't the same as 2017).

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
      Correct. Reigning champs would rarely if ever be called gate keepers. But nobody has ever accused a NW fan of be intelligent or rationale. Also it is possible they are just not familiar with the term. That is strictly a basketball town now, things like boxing, line play, and dancing have been forbidden for some time over there.
      "can success last after round of graduations"....gatekeeper material to me.
      Last edited by CatFan88; 07-15-2019, 04:52 PM.
      Go Hounds!
      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
      Cyclone Power
      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
        "can success last after round of graduations"....gatekeeper material to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
          When has UNK even been in the middle tier? Much less a team on the have to beat list? They have become the new UNO to some posters, thinking they are better than they even are.

Pitt has been the mason/dixon line the last many years. It seems the teams above them make the playoffs or a bowl game and the one below don't. I think last year was an exception due to Pitt turning down a bowl bid to hold out for the playoffs they had no shot of making. Great call Tim.....
          UNK hasn't been in the middle tier but this is the year to do it. 6 home games, many against the top teams. Big senior class who've all played a ton. And coming off a 5-6 year where they lost 4 close games (and won 2 close games). Probably their worst showing last year was at Pitt so maybe that's why you don't see it??

A 7 win season and a December bowl would be swell and dandy.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
            Correct. Reigning champs would rarely if ever be called gate keepers. But nobody has ever accused a NW fan of be intelligent or rationale. Also it is possible they are just not familiar with the term. That is strictly a basketball town now, things like boxing, line play, and dancing have been forbidden for some time over there.
            What about 50% reigning champs such as Fart Hayes.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
              What about 50% reigning champs such as Fart Hayes.
              Owns 100% of the real estate in your head. Speaking of owning.. Is brown going to give NW the keys to their dump stadium back?

Comment

Besides the fact that the term doesn't exist for football, let me take a guess...Iowa State in the Big 12 as an example? Perhaps Mizzou in the SEC?
                Go Hounds!
                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                Cyclone Power
                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
                  PITT STATE - no way they're making the playoffs. But, with 4 punters and 2 qbs on the field at the same time it will confuse some teams and maybe spring an upset,

WASHBURN (for Triple B)

Bolles 3.0 and the Mules fast break offense + a much improved defense will give UCM the conference championship......please God.
                  sorry KMA, but hands down the Mules are the MIAA Gate-Keeper Goats.....

every year we are all surprised when the Mules come in just average. they remind me of KU. both schools have the assets, the fans, the potential to be dominant. but both fail annually. yes, even if KU was in the MIAA, they would seemingly have it all going for them but they would never win the league championship. both KU and UCM would always manage to lose to someone they should beat, like Pitt, Western or even Flop Hays State. can't explain it except in the Jayhawks case it might be the Curse of Quantrill and in the Mules case it is probably the Curse of Coach Shurig (anyone else remember Wilie the Thief and his under-handed, stab-in-the-back sneak operation with the QB transfer to Washburn,Toby Karodi?).

point here is: something is fundamentally wrong with the football program at UCM in particular, and maybe the athletics department in general. Graft? Corruption? Politics?

UCM

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbadbod View Post
                    sorry KMA, but hands down the Mules are the MIAA Gate-Keeper Goats.....

every year we are all surprised when the Mules come in just average. they remind me of KU. both schools have the assets, the fans, the potential to be dominant. but both fail annually. yes, even if KU was in the MIAA, they would seemingly have it all going for them but they would never win the league championship. both KU and UCM would always manage to lose to someone they should beat, like Pitt, Western or even Flop Hays State. can't explain it except in the Jayhawks case it might be the Curse of Quantrill and in the Mules case it is probably the Curse of Coach Shurig (anyone else remember Wilie the Thief and his under-handed, stab-in-the-back sneak operation with the QB transfer to Washburn,Toby Karodi?).

point here is: something is fundamentally wrong with the football program at UCM in particular, and maybe the athletics department in general. Graft? Corruption? Politics?

UCM
                    were you typing out texas a&m & spasm (?) b/c that would be a much better comparison to cm.
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Emporia and Washburn

Fort Hays and NW are the defending champs (and should contend)
                        I think Central Missouri is the contender this year and I like Pitt as well

That makes Emporia, who is hard to beat at home and a bowl team from last year, as the Gatekeeper for NW and Central
                        and Washburn gets Pitt (who they have beaten 3 out of 4 years) and FHSU in Topeka

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                          Emporia and Washburn

Fort Hays and NW are the defending champs (and should contend)
                          I think Central Missouri is the contender this year and I like Pitt as well

That makes Emporia, who is hard to beat at home and a bowl team from last year, as the Gatekeeper for NW and Central
                          and Washburn gets Pitt (who they have beaten 3 out of 4 years) and FHSU in Topeka
                          Here's an absurd fact: The last time the home team won a regular season game in the Pitt State-Washburn series was 2009.

Pitt State won at home in the playoffs in 2011 and the teams didn't play because of conference expansion in 2012 or 2013. Pitt won at Washburn in 2014 and 2016. Washburn won at Pitt in 2010, 2011 regular season, 2015, 2017 and 2018. Also pretty strange (and very inconvenient as a Pitt State fan/alum living in Topeka) that, of the last 8 games in that series, only two have been in Topeka.

Comment

It's gotta be UNK and UCO. The talent those two teams returns from a year ago is nothing to scoff at.

The Lopers have two of the best DL in the league (Hinwa Allieu and Jordan Ingraham) that few people talk about leading a defense that is always tough (No. 4 overall in the league last year). They also have the returning leading rusher in the conference returning and some would say that guy isn't even their best running back (No. 1 rushing attack in the league last year). Alex McGinnis is back under center as well...

UCO has two of the best returning receivers in the league and probably a top-3 QB in the league on offense. There are some questions on the defensive side but, I think they are going to be really solid this year.

Comment

Bump

Any differing opinions 2 weeks into the season?
                              Go Hounds!
                              B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                              Cyclone Power
                              ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                                Bump

Any differing opinions 2 weeks into the season?
                                Hard to say with just two weeks, but Hays looks like the early contender for this role. However, it seems like the conference might have potential for a whole tier of gatekeepers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X