X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post

It was #21
      If you don't think that happens every game I have beach front property to sell you in Salina...

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
        Those home cooked refs missed a few holding calls on Pitt OLine too
        Expecting an MIAA ref to call holding is like Expecting an alligator to play nice with your children..

NW fans should be careful what they wish for when it comes to calling holding, tbh.

On a serious note, the only call that bothered me was the grounding call that the refs clearly let themselves be talked into.

Comment

• Today was the Pitt staff's first go at a team the caliber of NW. I'm hoping they learned a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

If you don't think that happens every game I have beach front property to sell you in Salina...

Comment

• I'm so bummed that Lincoln is the next game.

Comment

• Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

Not like 21 was doing. He actually was on the northwest sidelines walking among the players off the field. Once he just about didn't get off the field before his offense snapped the ball. And he was on defense. They did finally get him with a personal at the end of the game.
                Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by PSR View Post
                    Pitt showed we are different. I didn't think NW was better all over the field as in the past. I think some of that is because they are not at the level they used to be. They are very beatable. Not a top 5 team by any means. They are there on reputation alone. Offense is bad. Defense is good. I didn't see anything that made me think they are great. It will take a good team to beat them and they will have to play well. But NW has come back to the pack and are not the beast they were.

Now my thought about the two. This will the last time NW beats Pitt consistently. I think Pitt has the players and coaches to get NWs number and start owning this series again. Major improvement from 2019 to now. I think the tide has changed and the corner has been turned for these 2 programs. I look for this series now to be very competitive with Pitt getting the best of it.
                    Where you been the past 5 years? NW hasn't been a beast in the MIAA since 2016. Remember a coach named Adam Dorrel? The guy who got bored regularly beating up the MIAA and winning D2 titles so he took his talents to Texas? NW hasn't sniffed the talent level or level of preparedness for a game since he left. Rich Wright is terrific coach and I think the best defensive mind in D2 bar none. This being his first HC gig, it's fair to expect some struggles, just like AD had some struggles when he took over the NW program for his first HC job. The fact that he hasn't enjoyed the same type of success AD did or as fast is an unfair comparison. Kudos for him recognizing that NW wasn't going to get where he wanted to get them with Osborn and Flohr leading the offense. Pitt St. gets a reprieve being guided by a 1st year coaching staff. NW gets somewhat of a reprieve with a 1st year OC.

All that aside, NW is still the gold standard in the MIAA and we get everyone's best shot. Secondly, it's NW/Pitt St. Rivalry games like this are just different. They can bring out the best and expose weaknesses. If you want to use this 1 game as a measuring stick for where Pitt St. and NW are headed, be my guest. NW is clearly better offensively with Hohensee as QB and he was far less than 100% on a bad ankle yesterday in only his 3rd career start. McKeller is a RB who can put a team on his shoulders and take an offense to another level. NW is finally using the TE in the passing game. The NW front 4 defensively is as good as we've had since Weitl and Bevins were playing. Our secondary is suspect and everyone knew that coming in. They don't have to be great when you have a front 4 like we have. Pitt St. OL played well yesterday protecting Sexton. I thought Sexton and the Pitt St. WR had their best game of the year yesterday. That was a bad combo for our secondary. The NW D gets credit for giving up FG instead of TD keeping the NW in the game. NW O gets credit for making good half time adjustments.

Pitt St. controlled the game for the most part. Should've won the game.
                    Last edited by CatFan88; 10-10-2021, 06:01 AM.
                    Go Hounds!
                    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                    Cyclone Power
                    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

• Originally posted by PSR View Post
                      Didn't expect this type of game. I thought Pitt played well today. Oline held their own and ran the ball good enough to win. Sexton played well but he needs to pull that on the read option and run the ball. If he pulls the ball on that last run play he had the right side good enough to get the first down. So it looked like when I was watching. If he can't read then the coaches need to call the play for him and tell him to keep it. He pulls that ball and picks up the first down, we most likely get the upset.

This team is young and hasn't really been together all that long. If they can gel together this bunch can be good.

Key thoughts.

Coaches need to step it up. Getting the play call in with about 7 seconds left on the play call is inexcusable. Inside the 10 and 3rd and 3 there in the 3rd quarter and the team lines up with 5 ticks left. No time to look over the defense or anything. Not converting there is all on the coaches. Then later in the game the RB has to call TO because of the play call getting in late. Wright has to get this corrected. Not getting players right and having 12 guys on the field because you substitute late on defense causing you to call timeout is all on the DC. If the Coaches expect the players to be ready to play they need to be ready to Coach.

Arm chair QB here but on 3rd and 1 you run right up the middle on a very good run defense expecting it in the redzone? We need to come up with some short yardage plays especially in the redzone that will help this team be successful. Teaching Sexton to read it will help but lets get creative also.

Pitt showed we are different. I didn't think NW was better all over the field as in the past. I think some of that is because they are not at the level they used to be. They are very beatable. Not a top 5 team by any means. They are there on reputation alone. Offense is bad. Defense is good. I didn't see anything that made me think they are great. It will take a good team to beat them and they will have to play well. But NW has come back to the pack and are not the beast they were.

Pitt needs to gel. Coaches and players. This is the second time this year they outplayed their opponent in the first half, had a double digit lead and couldn't finish the game off. Coaches need to get better and I think they will. Time will help. Need to develop the Dline and the Dbacks has to get better and stop being out of position and giving up wide open TDs. NW had 2 wide open TDs from the backfield blowing the play and being out of position.

Now my thought about the two. This will the last time NW beats Pitt consistently. I think Pitt has the players and coaches to get NWs number and start owning this series again. Major improvement from 2019 to now. I think the tide has changed and the corner has been turned for these 2 programs. I look for this series now to be very competitive with Pitt getting the best of it.

Good game.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                        On a serious note, the only call that bothered me was the grounding call that the refs clearly let themselves be talked into.
                        I would probably say the same if I were on the losing end of the stick. I say credit to Rich Wright for pointing it out and the refs recognizing that he was right.
                        Last edited by CatFan88; 10-10-2021, 07:15 AM.
                        Go Hounds!
                        B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                        Cyclone Power
                        ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

• Now this is a matchup thread!

Comment

• I need to see a replay, because the announcers said our running back was in the area. Hernandez #27

Comment

• Originally posted by reloadmvp View Post
                              Now this is a matchup thread!
                              Pitt has to be proud of how they played against the #3 team in the country, to lose by 1. Yikes.
                              <>

Comment

• Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
                                I need to see a replay, because the announcers said our running back was in the area. Hernandez #27
                                Whose announcers? The ones wearing crimson colored glasses? The closest eligible receiver was Adkins 5ish or so feet to his left blocking a NW defender. The missile Sexton threw laterally into the turf was not directed at him and definitely not to Hernandez who wasn't even in the screen by the time the officials called the pass incomplete.
                                Go Hounds!
                                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                                Cyclone Power
                                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X