Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project

https://anchor.fm/jesse-cordova/epis...ke-Racy-e4rl36

In episode one, I discuss non-conference play with Commissioner Mike Racy and expand on the idea. As fans, non-conference games sound fantastic. This episode gives a little more attention to the details that the administrations and coaches have to the think about with regards to opening the schedule.

Hopefully, I do a good enough job in this episode to convince some of you to join me on this adventure. That being said, this will likely be my last post as NewmanAndDuquesne... I will be around but, with a more apropos handle.

Enjoy.

Re: New Project

Great stuff, Jesse! I'll be adding you to my podcast lineup. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Very good, thank you. Looking forward to more

Comment

A nice quality pod cast .

Comment

But I do not sign on to the nwmo argument. The glvc is a seven team league that is in thier backyard.

Now Ft Hays and Kearney present more of a challenge for the arguements mentioned. And it would be best for a lsc conference agreement to benefit them.

Lsc has had agreements with gnac and gulf south so who know how many free games they have with 9 members. The key is to see if this unlocks the gac from silo. I have a feeling it would for no other reason that it will allow for paycheck games from bottom of fcs for lower gac teams.

This paycheck games are a way to redistribute money from fbs downward that silo sched does not allow . One good paycheck game can cover travel for most of the year. We all know Lincoln could really benefit from this. We may not like it but they are part of us now and we are only good as our weakest member.

Now I know this diminish the profile of miaa but sometimes it's strait economics. Student enrollments are declining across country. Activity fees go with it and that is one of largest income streams in d2 sports .

I've long been in favor of dumping silo for many reasons but if they vote it down ok . Make sure it's because it's best for the majority in the conference not just because it might not be the best for nw mo.

Comment

I agree with brandon silo should= 1 team in PO's. Schools would find a way and excuses would disappear if they did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              I agree with brandon silo should= 1 team in PO's. Schools would find a way and excuses would disappear if they did that.
              Oh that's a good compromise. I would have shut out a conference altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                But I do not sign on to the nwmo argument. The glvc is a seven team league that is in thier backyard.

Now Ft Hays and Kearney present more of a challenge for the arguements mentioned. And it would be best for a lsc conference agreement to benefit them.

Lsc has had agreements with gnac and gulf south so who know how many free games they have with 9 members. The key is to see if this unlocks the gac from silo. I have a feeling it would for no other reason that it will allow for paycheck games from bottom of fcs for lower gac teams.

This paycheck games are a way to redistribute money from fbs downward that silo sched does not allow . One good paycheck game can cover travel for most of the year. We all know Lincoln could really benefit from this. We may not like it but they are part of us now and we are only good as our weakest member.

Now I know this diminish the profile of miaa but sometimes it's strait economics. Student enrollments are declining across country. Activity fees go with it and that is one of largest income streams in d2 sports .

I've long been in favor of dumping silo for many reasons but if they vote it down ok . Make sure it's because it's best for the majority in the conference not just because it might not be the best for nw mo.

There is no doubt it is tougher for Northwest to schedule than others who haven't been as successful.

In the past, I know that they have tried to schedule regional FCS schools, even schools who are regular playoff participants, and have had no luck. I do know they have had to pay a lot of money to get people to go to Maryville. It's also tough on them because the NSIC has a closed schedule (as a reaction to what the MIAA did) and those schools are better choices for non conference games than the GLVC. Truman won't play them. I don't know if Missouri S&T would. I would guess that Lindenwood might. So I really understand their perspective on the issue.

And I also don't think it makes much sense for Northwest or Fort Hays to play Ferris State or Valdosta State as their only non conference game under the current setup. We should all want the best teams in the playoffs. The last thing we should want is a scenario that causes the best teams to miss because they happened to lose to one another in the regular season. Hopefully forcing all conferences to have non conference games would cause the regional rankings to be administered as they used to be and how they were designed to be done.

There should ideally be two non-conference game so teams would have the ability to schedule with some more diversity.

Comment

If we finally break into non-con; I don't see the benefit however of going outside of the regional conferences. Playing the NSIC, LSC, RMAC - while interesting doesn't seem like it would actually raise the profile of getting a third team in playoffs. I'd rather stick with playing the GAC, GLIAC, GLVC. We want to play Indy, MO S&T, Ouachita, Saginaw, etc etc in season giving the regional committee a better S.o.S to sort out and which 7 teams are actually the best in the region to go into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                    If we finally break into non-con; I don't see the benefit however of going outside of the regional conferences. Playing the NSIC, LSC, RMAC - while interesting doesn't seem like it would actually raise the profile of getting a third team in playoffs. I'd rather stick with playing the GAC, GLIAC, GLVC. We want to play Indy, MO S&T, Ouachita, Saginaw, etc etc in season giving the regional committee a better S.o.S to sort out and which 7 teams are actually the best in the region to go into the playoffs.
                    Ease of scheduling.

I wish they'd get rid of the regional criteria anyway.

You don't think playing Minnesota State or Sioux Falls would raise the profile of a team instead of playing Lincoln/Missouri Southern/Northeastern State? And really it's not about perception - it's about numbers. But the fact that it's about numbers actually helps your point about playing Indianapolis or Saginaw over Minnesota State or Sioux Falls.

So really the question is - Do you believe your conference is good enough to go out and finish above .500 in against non conference opponents? If they answer is no, then playing an entirely conference schedule is a way to job the playoff selection system. How is that any different from second or third tier teams from multiple conferences grouping together to form a new conference to increase their post season chances? If that's the case, two is the absolute maximum of teams the MIAA ever deserves to get in the playoffs.

From the MIAA perspective. Let's say this happened in the non conference:

Fort Hays played Saginaw Valley and won.
                    Northwest played Grand Valley and won.
                    Pitt played Ferris and lost.
                    Central played Ouachita and won.
                    Washburn played Harding and lost.

When playoff time rolls around, all MIAA teams would have 2-1 added to the Opponent criteria. When playoff time rolls around, all GLIAC teams would have 1-2 added to the Opponent criteria. When playoff time rolls around, all GAC teams would have 1-1 added to the Opponent criteria.

Another thing that MIAA folks are not considering is home field advantage. The MIAA has played five playoff games the last two years. Only one of those games has been at home. If there were some sort of divisional setup in the league, maybe Northwest doesn't play/lose to Central Oklahoma and finishes 10-1 instead of 9-2. Maybe they would have had a home game. Maybe Fort Hays doesn't lose to Missouri Western and they're 10-1 and playing at home against Indianaplis, who finished 9-1.

Obviously this is all speculation and all aspects of this must be considered.

EDIT: I wanted to add one thing. Northwest had to travel to Central Washington in 2009 because the GNAC went 6-3 in non conference games. That's all it took.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                      By the way, I am curious, how long have you been following FHSU football?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        By the way, I am curious, how long have you been following FHSU football?
                        20ish years I suppose - really interested starting in 2001 when they had a running back Jason Broom who was running all over people and setting records; and just as quick as he came on the scene he was prone to injury/trouble and was just as quickly gone.

Comment

I really think the silo gives the GAC an advantage and gets them a second team in po. And more home field than they deserve. If th have gets .500 on sos then. Allowing non conf. Allows for miaa to take advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                            I really think the silo gives the GAC an advantage and gets them a second team in po. And more home field than they deserve. If th have gets .500 on sos then. Allowing non conf. Allows for miaa to take advantage.
                            Remember that just two years ago, the GAC got a second team in at 8-3 and that team then won three road games to make the semis.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                              Remember that just two years ago, the GAC got a second team in at 8-3 and that team then won three road games to make the semis.
                              True.

I will never say anything that top 4teams in gac are legit. In fact I have always defended them. But after that the quality drops off compared to miaa.

This makes silo in gac more advantageous to gac and nsic than to miaa. I want to see miaa not be penalized by it . The biggest treated for gac is the bye and hosting po games that gac is getting for thier top teams .

But 3 road p o. Wins is a great achievement for the GAC

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X