Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donkeydamus View Post
    I don't care how much you love playing football, getting the crap beat out of you every week would be a deal breaker for me. Lincoln dropped baseball in the last five years because they would only win a couple of games a year. They belong in D3, but even then I doubt they would be much more than a .500 team in football. I don't know the history of Lincoln joining the MIAA then leaving and then rejoining the MIAA, but I would guess that the MIAA got politically arm twisted because of the "minority factor". Anybody else share my arm twisting theory?
    Don't know about that...Enough MIAA AD's and Coaches don't want to have to seek out Non-Con games, so they need 12 teams in the conference...at this juncture, don't know if there are any other teams that want to play FB in the MIAA...so they keep Lincoln. We've lost original MIAA member Truman, plus Lindenwood in the past few years. SW Baptist a few years before that...plus Lincoln in that deal too...IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post

My theory was they offered football. I dont know why we have non football schools playing basketball. If that is allowed why cant Lincoln play basketball and drop out on the football side.
      Okay, but I was looking for comments on why the MIAA let Lincoln back in the conference, surely knowing it wasn't going to be a good fit. I think there was actual political arm twisting from state legislators or the fear that there would be some. The conference had to know that Lincoln wouldn't be a good fit the second time around.
      Last edited by Donkeydamus; 11-02-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Okay, but I was looking for comments on why the MIAA let Lincoln back in the conference surely knowing it wasn't going to be a good I think there was actual political arm twisting from state legislators or the fear that there would be some. The conference had to know that Lincoln wasn't to b
        It could be...but I think it was more of Lindenwood leaving a year earlier than they expected so they were scrambling to replace them...Lincoln was willing. That's my understanding of the situation. Who else would the MIAA add? Wayne State? They seem to be set pretty good in the NSIC. Other schools in the GAC? Not sure who else in reasonable proximity to the MIAA footprint would be a good addition and be willing to move into the conference.

Comment

Okay, but I was looking for comments on why the MIAA let Lincoln back in the conference, surely knowing it wasn't going to be a good fit. I think there was actual political arm twisting from state legislators or the fear that there would be some. The conference had to know that Lincoln wouldn't be a good fit the second time around.
          Money Is usually the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

It could be...but I think it was more of Lindenwood leaving a year earlier than they expected so they were scrambling to replace them...Lincoln was willing. That's my understanding of the situation. Who else would the MIAA add? Wayne State? They seem to be set pretty good in the NSIC. Other schools in the GAC? Not sure who else in reasonable proximity to the MIAA footprint would be a good addition and be willing to move into the conference.
            I think you are correct. Lindenwood was leaving; Lincoln was playing in the MIAA in sports other than football and they were going to have to play MIAA football or find another conference in which to play all sports. If you look at the schedules of GLVC teams, you will see that they each play 4 non-conference games. FOUR NON-CONFERENCE GAMES! Why can't MIAA teams each play one? If I did not have season tickets, I would boycott home games when Lincoln was our opponent and send a letter to our AD telling him why I was not going to buy a ticket. If enough of us did this, they might do something. Coaches probably like having one game in the win column before the season even begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

interestingly enough Lincoln (CA) lost 92-0 yesterday bringing their record to 0-4. They have also lost 52-6 and 75-0. Lincoln (PA) is 1-8 but have been at least somewhat competitive while we all know what the Blue Tigers of the MIAA are.
              Lincoln (CA) is a weird team. They lost their first game by 2, then smashed their second opponent by 34, then lost the next 5 at a combined score of 331-40.

Their first two games were against Whitworth and Williamette, two D3 schools on the east coast. I thought they might have trotted out backups or a JV squad, but apparently they're both just bad enough to perform like that against a startup program that probably doesn't even have a place on campus to hang the helmets.

Comment

We had one of those career bottom-dwelling teams in our conference - one that had no hope of recovery. I too wondered why the players would stick around. I'm guessing it was just for a jersey or the scholarship money. The school finally ditched the program in 2019.

I hate to see a school drop football, but when the program is so bad that there's no hope of being competitive - then it's probably for the best. Use the money saved on the other programs.

Comment

.....and the mules should do what?

"mooles" crowd - on your mark, ready, set, go.

Mules should keep doing what they did this year.

Comment

logistics & expenses
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                      We had one of those career bottom-dwelling teams in our conference - one that had no hope of recovery. I too wondered why the players would stick around. I'm guessing it was just for a jersey or the scholarship money. The school finally ditched the program in 2019.

I hate to see a school drop football, but when the program is so bad that there's no hope of being competitive - then it's probably for the best. Use the money saved on the other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Required

Comment

Lincoln was actually set to join the SIAC about 15 years ago. Langston was in the process of moving to D2 to join as well, but both bailed at the last minute, deciding the travel wasn't worth it.

Comment

The worst thing is it allowed the MIAA to keep doing the stupid lazy silo thing in football.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Required
                              They also had to be willing to!!! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jim View Post

I think you are correct. Lindenwood was leaving; Lincoln was playing in the MIAA in sports other than football and they were going to have to play MIAA football or find another conference in which to play all sports. If you look at the schedules of GLVC teams, you will see that they each play 4 non-conference games. FOUR NON-CONFERENCE GAMES! Why can't MIAA teams each play one? If I did not have season tickets, I would boycott home games when Lincoln was our opponent and send a letter to our AD telling him why I was not going to buy a ticket. If enough of us did this, they might do something. Coaches probably like having one game in the win column before the season even begins.
                                I miss the Non-Con games too. They served NW well thru the years, especially when it came Playoff time and at some point playing a silo schedule will bite NW in the behind...I'm pretty sure it has already hurt other MIAA teams from making the PO's or getting a higher seed.

From a NW perspective, I also understand why they wanted to go down this route. It was getting increasingly difficult to find willing participants in non-con games. Don't know if other MIAA schools were having the same issue, but it would appear so, since the measure passed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X