Clear All

• MSSU player taken to hospital

MSSU athlete taken to hospital during football practice
    From staff reports [email protected]

Re: MSSU player taken to hospital

Originally posted by benrilla View Post
    MSSU athlete taken to hospital during football practice
    From staff reports [email protected]

Sounds like AT staff did exactly what they were supposed to.

I know that Marty Conklin and Darrin Moore (RIP), are no longer there, but if their influence is still on the sports medicine program at MSSU those athletes are in great hands.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
      Sounds like AT staff did exactly what they were supposed to.

I know that Marty Conklin and Darrin Moore (RIP), are no longer there, but if their influence is still on the sports medicine program at MSSU those athletes are in great hands.
      Very kind words about two very good men.

Comment

Yikes that headline a year after having a kid die from heat exhaustion

Comment

Hope the kid is ok.

Comment

Not a good look for Coach Sims

Comment

I'm going to play devil's advocate. While I'm not familiar with this specific incident, I am familiar with the protocol and the common circumstances involved with heat related illness.

I'll preface it by saying all heat related illness is preventable, but it takes all parties involved to take responsibility to prevent it from happening. This includes the players, coaching staff, strength and conditioning staff, and the medical staff.

In a vacuum, an article reporting that a player was taken to the hospital for treatment of heat illness would be incredibly unusual. I've been involved with the evaluation, treatment, and management of dozens of heat related incidents and not a single one ever made the local paper. Obviously this is getting more attention because of the history of the head coach.

But...

My point is, this is probably a much more common occurrence than most realize. Take a 300 lb athlete that hasn't done their off season conditioning like they're supposed to, put a helmet on them, and go through a football practice in a hot and muggy Missouri August day, it's not unusual for them to have problems. Frequent water breaks, cooling stations, weather accommodations, etc can only do so much if the hasn't done their part. Not saying that happened here, just painting a general picture.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AT staff had to deal with other athletes suffering from heat issues as well, but they were able to manage those without emergency services. Truth be told, it's something AT departments around the country deal with this time of year. It's not unique to MSSU.

Again, I get WHY it's getting more attention. I just want to make it clear, the proper care and management of heat illness is not that uncommon.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

I'm kinda thinking this is a much better look for the program than any other outcome... right? Kid has a heat-related medical issue and receives what is seemingly appropriate medical care. Isn't that what we all want?

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                  I'm kinda thinking this is a much better look for the program than any other outcome... right? Kid has a heat-related medical issue and receives what is seemingly appropriate medical care. Isn't that what we all want?
                  +1

I agree that this is a complete non-story. Happens everyday this time of year at campuses all around the country.
                  Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                    well said
                    Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                      +1

I agree that this is a complete non-story. Happens everyday this time of year at campuses all around the country.
                      Its more blown up because Sims. He didn't let kids have water and a kid died last year from heat exhaustion.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
                        Its more blown up because Sims. He didn't let kids have water and a kid died last year from heat exhaustion.
                        Where did you see that he was withholding water.

If you read the report, it looks like the issue had more to do with a delay in initiation of emergency protocols.

Not trying to defend or prosecute. Just want to make sure we're dealing with things we can reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                          Where did you see that he was withholding water.

If you read the report, it looks like the issue had more to do with a delay in initiation of emergency protocols.

Not trying to defend or prosecute. Just want to make sure we're dealing with things we can reference.

From this link:
                          https://www.si.com/college-football/...co-garden-city

It includes the following lines:
                          As Atkins-Ingram dug deeper, players told her they had had no water breaks during that conditioning test

Five players told SI there was barely a break between each sprint, even though the summary says they were allowed 30 seconds of rest. Six players said that players were not allowed to drink water until the end of the workout and that anyone who stopped running would need to redo the entire workout the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                            From this link:
                            https://www.si.com/college-football/...co-garden-city

It includes the following lines:
                            As Atkins-Ingram dug deeper, players told her they had had no water breaks during that conditioning test

Five players told SI there was barely a break between each sprint, even though the summary says they were allowed 30 seconds of rest. Six players said that players were not allowed to drink water until the end of the workout and that anyone who stopped running would need to redo the entire workout the next morning.
                            Gotcha. Thanks. I don't remember seeing that in the things I read.

Cool Story Bro

Comment

Well the fact that it is a pattern for the coach to have it happen 2 times in 2 years is not a good look. I follow college football at all levels and with the technology, support staffs, and rules now a days, this shouldnt happen that often. Look at other programs, you don't see it happening.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X