Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

ya i def don't agree with that.
    i do think it's possibly true but pitt was great that yr as well.

i also disagree that we def wouldn't have beaten them in '05 in the po's if race played b/c lambo's inj was so bad it was really po time the next yr before he was hitting his stride again.

the truth is they were both impactful & unknowable as far as outcomes had the players not been hurt in spite of fans of both schools being so cocksure.
    Meh, it’s all conjecture anyway. My opinion is based on how strong the O was under Lambo in 04 and the fact that QB2/3 played at Arrowhead and it came down to the wire. But yes, PSU was also really strong that year, they would have game planned for Lambo, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post

I do find this curious as well. But out of the 4 - one is a true freshmen - they aren't going to pull a redshirt. And two of the other three were recruited prior to Sturdy. I honestly don't know what the true order is of those 3. The true freshman Henry Martin may be the future signal caller - he reminds me a lot of Zimmerman.
      I do find that interesting that there is another option at QB that hasn't gotten playing time. I liked Braden Wright a lot as a freshman, but it seems as though he has never really improved. I wonder why with both Wright and Hohensee struggling with injuries and consistency that they wouldn't try another QB. I would think that finding the future signal caller in a year like this one would be a priority. If the playoff streak ends this year, at least sacrifice it to the benefit of the future of the team.

Comment

Bearsota sounds like a drink (funny).

Comment

If the NW coach had started an inexperienced underclassman instead of either current QB, people would be ripping on him and saying he gave up on the season.

My guess is it would be the same people who would rip on him for not starting an inexperienced QB.

Comment

it's not that hard
            the best players are playing

once we get beyond bw/mh the depth chart is a sophomore who....i have seen him sling it......bless his heart he is not the answer. after that you have two redshirts & a true frosh.

the future is one of the freshmen or not on the roster - freshmen aren't usually ready to play.

pp that is a lazy take. circumstances drive this issue 100% requiring a malleable view. & even if true, who cares?
            Go Bearcats!
            M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
              it's not that hard
              the best players are playing

once we get beyond bw/mh the depth chart is a sophomore who....i have seen him sling it......bless his heart he is not the answer. after that you have two redshirts & a true frosh.

the future is one of the freshmen or not on the roster - freshmen aren't usually ready to play.

pp that is a lazy take. circumstances drive this issue 100% requiring a malleable view. & even if true, who cares?
              It's not lazy at all. I'm looking at the circumstances. People were calling for a QB change when NW had 1 loss. Those people are not being reasonable. Like you said above, If NW had a better option laying around they would be using him. They aren't the "hand out the job even though you couldn't win it" Kind of a program.

I'm not saying I care. Just making an observation that people tend to get a little irrational when a loss comes and they start second guessing coaches. We've all been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

It's not lazy at all. I'm looking at the circumstances. People were calling for a QB change when NW had 1 loss. Those people are not being reasonable. Like you said above, If NW had a better option laying around they would be using him. They aren't the "hand out the job even though you couldn't win it" Kind of a program.

I'm not saying I care. Just making an observation that people tend to get a little irrational when a loss comes and they start second guessing coaches. We've all been there.
                I don't feel that there were many people calling for a QB change... obviously Hohensee and Wright have been banged up. The questions came up after Wright gutted out the win after the MoWest game when he was clearly in a lot of pain and it was said that the day before he couldn't throw a ball 30 yards. I don't think it's a ridiculous question to wonder if or why we don't have someone more fit at that time to play when you have a kid in his 3rd year (4th if you include 2020) in the program and 2 others in their second year. Apparently, we don't, but to me it wasn't really a "coaching staff that is not playing the best players" question, but more of how can this be our best guy under those circumstances. I don't think anyone is arguing that Hohensee and Wright should be benched... though people do like to point out Wright's deficiencies.
                Last edited by Alfred33; 10-21-2022, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I don't that feel there were many people calling for a QB change... obviously Hohensee and Wright have been banged up. The questions came up after Wright gutted out the win after the MoWest game when he was clearly in a lot of pain and it was said that the day before he couldn't throw a ball 30 yards. I don't think it's a ridiculous question to wonder if or why we don't have someone more fit at that time to play when you have a kid in his 3rd year (4th if you include 2020) in the program and 2 others in their second year. Apparently, we don't, but to me it wasn't really a "coaching staff that is not playing the best players" question, but more of how can this be our best guy under those circumstances. I don't think anyone is arguing that Hohensee and Wright should be benched... though people do like to point out Wright's deficiencies.
                  Yeah. That makes sense.

The transfer portal makes it tougher than ever to get a guy to sit for 3 or 4 years before getting the nod.

I think Hohensee is the more skilled QB, and I even wondered early in the year how a guy who isn't much of a passer got to be a starting QB at NW. Now I see it, though. He's basically Zack Dickey. All around tough SOB who doesn't know how to lose, and a great leader who elevates everyone around him.

Comment

Yeah. That makes sense.

The transfer portal makes it tougher than ever to get a guy to sit for 3 or 4 years before getting the nod.

I think Hohensee is the more skilled QB, and I even wondered early in the year how a guy who isn't much of a passer got to be a starting QB at NW. Now I see it, though. He's basically Zack Dickey. All around tough SOB who doesn't know how to lose, and a great leader who elevates everyone around him.
                    I think most people would agree with your assessment between the two. Braden is a great athlete and I think he is very well liked by his teammates... he's just not a great passer. He's been in the program for a long time as a starter and would've probably kept Hohensee on the bench save for some change of pace last year if it hadn't been for his emergency surgery. I believe he was the MIAA Offensive FOY as a rookie... He's won a lot of games even though he has frustrated at times.

Comment

I don't that feel there were many people calling for a QB change... obviously Hohensee and Wright have been banged up. The questions came up after Wright gutted out the win after the MoWest game when he was clearly in a lot of pain and it was said that the day before he couldn't throw a ball 30 yards. I don't think it's a ridiculous question to wonder if or why we don't have someone more fit at that time to play when you have a kid in his 3rd year (4th if you include 2020) in the program and 2 others in their second year. Apparently, we don't, but to me it wasn't really a "coaching staff that is not playing the best players" question, but more of how can this be our best guy under those circumstances. I don't think anyone is arguing that Hohensee and Wright should be benched... though people do like to point out both players' deficiencies.
                      all correct with a slight addendum.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

One ofvthe things I noticed about the NW O this year is the WR play. They don't have the guys who can catch it in traffic, let alone the ones who make defenders look stupid afterwards.

Comment

One ofvthe things I noticed about the NW O this year is the WR play. They don't have the guys who can catch it in traffic, let alone the ones who make defenders look stupid afterwards.
                          To add to this, just in some water cooler talk at work the other day… if we went back and dug into the stats, it might prove to be completely wrong, but we were talking how it feels like it’s been a long time since NW has had a game breaker in the return game too. We were just churning those guys out for a while… Tony Miles, Jamaica and Andre Rector, Kendall Wright, Tyler Shaw, Jordan Simmons, Shawn Bane…. I don’t really know. Lol

Comment

Is it the QB's, WR's or combination that makes this stand out? Personally, Shelton and Giffin look the part and I think can be those guys next year. What disappoints me the most about the NW offense is not using our TE's for short to intermediate routes to take pressure off Wright/Hohensee. Hembrough should be getting a lot of targets.
                            Go Hounds!
                            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                            Cyclone Power
                            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

Is it the QB's, WR's or combination that makes this stand out? Personally, Shelton and Giffin look the part and I think can be those guys next year. What disappoints me the most about the NW offense is not using our TE's for short to intermediate routes to take pressure off Wright/Hohensee. Hembrough should be getting a lot of targets.
                              The TE thing is what they did well against Pitt's zone blitz in the 2nd half. It was all Pitt gave them and they executed it well.

Giffin may grow into a great WR, but right now he's just raw speed from what I've seen.

It's likely a combination of QB and WR.
                              It sounds like they are using the screen game more with Moya. He's gonna be a weapon.

Comment

To add to this, just in some water cooler talk at work the other day… if we went back and dug into the stats, it might prove to be completely wrong, but we were talking how it feels like it’s been a long time since NW has had a game breaker in the return game too. We were just churning those guys out for a while… Tony Miles, Jamaica and Andre Rector, Kendall Wright, Tyler Shaw, Jordan Simmons, Shawn Bane…. I don’t really know. Lol
                                Kashan Griffin says stick it in your pie hole Alfred… MIAA Special Teams Player of the week and now leads the nation in punt return average. 🤣

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X