Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observations for the cho people

although the offense still looks pretty anemic, the oline did a better job of protecting. don't get me wrong, they were certainly still having to scramble a bunch but, not every play like they were at WM.
    they weren't making huge holes but the holes were there for a split second. i never liked the slow rolling, try to find a gap to get into runs. i get it, its needed sometimes. but with lineman this young, those holes are only going to be there a split second and then close up. you need to make sure you're there to make a play. i saw several times, the hole was there and no anticipation on the backs part. by the time they saw it, it was already closing up. just takes time to gel on the olines part. they'll get there.

Wrs are my biggest pet peeve sometimes lol...they hold the entire outside game in their hands. when they don't fight as hard as their teammates to win a battle, its very irritating to the rest of the offense. i saw some battles lost last night and some didn't seem to give a shizz. i understand being physically outmatched. but if you are standing your ground and not moving your feet, you are not giving effort in my mind. you're being lazy and selfish. i also get extremely upset when you can watch the game and tell who the ball is not being thrown to. attitude gets bad or just flat out refuses to run hard..... maybe it's just me.
    with that being said, i DID see some crisp and wide open routes that were not being hit. timing is not there. period. read between the lines. you understand.

defensively, the corners are fairly talented right now but lack experience. in fact, taking a 3rd and 4th look at this defense, they are all extremely young. 2 starting DEs are seniors and no one else starts as a senior. or haven't the first two games. two soph at dline. 2 of the 3 linebackers are sophomores and the other is a true freshman. two sophomores and two juniors at corner and safety.

top 5 tacklers on the team, two games in, are 2 juniors and 3 sophomores. if you expand it to 7 you add another sophomore and the true freshman line backer.
    the two teams we've played so far have indeed put some yards on us. to the tune of 950+ yards but they're learning. MW and ES went 13-32 on 3rd down and 0-6 on 4th against them. it looks ugly but i suspect it will get much much better.

what i was talking about with the Oklahoma talent last week, had more to do with ES than anyone. although there are other kids on other teams that do play, emporia has 30+ kids on their roster from this state. in fact, the number 2 tackler for Emporia is a kid from kingfisher. i used to coach his older brother in little league. i talk to his grandpa about 5 times a year at high school football games. he never even spoke to a coach from UCO. no emails, texts messages, smoke signals nothing. further, 7 of the top 10 tacklers on the team are from Oklahoma 1 of THOSE 7 is from Edmond. the top RB? Oklahoma city. the starting QB, also an Oklahoma Kid.
    we've got to start somewhere to keep the good ones in state and i think last nights game may have started thing. at least i hope.

reload, i hope all of your hotdogs at the games this year are soaked in mustard pre-cum

Higgins has a pipeline to talent. His nwosu state teams produced a lot of coaches that have given him connections all over state. I get putt and moso having a lot of Oklahoma players esp because of NEO but emporia has not had less than 25 in ten years. I get people from northern side taking turnpike up to Kansas but he is everywhere in the state. Meanwhile nsuband UCO spent two decades trying to get talent out of Texas even when they were not playing in Texas anymore. Nsu is rebuilding using Oklahoma players hope UCO can keep the boys home too

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
      Higgins has a pipeline to talent. His nwosu state teams produced a lot of coaches that have given him connections all over state. I get putt and moso having a lot of Oklahoma players esp because of NEO but emporia has not had less than 25 in ten years. I get people from northern side taking turnpike up to Kansas but he is everywhere in the state. Meanwhile nsuband UCO spent two decades trying to get talent out of Texas even when they were not playing in Texas anymore. Nsu is rebuilding using Oklahoma players hope UCO can keep the boys home too
      The reality these days is that if you aren't recruiting all over the country, it's hard to compete. Don't get me wrong, local talent/program guys are vital, but you can't rely on only them.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

The reality these days is that if you aren't recruiting all over the country, it's hard to compete. Don't get me wrong, local talent/program guys are vital, but you can't rely on only them.
        As if Pitt doesn’t have a ton of Oklahoma talent on their roster as well. Lol
        Roll Chos!

Comment

in my post, last night would have been somewhat different if say 4 of the top 5 tacklers on emporias team played at UCO as well as the starting QB and RB. youre also removing them from ES as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RollChos View Post

As if Pitt doesn’t have a ton of Oklahoma talent on their roster as well. Lol
            I didn't say they didn't have local talent. I even said it was vital. In fact, most of the Pitt team captains are from within 50 miles of Pitt. It's important to keep those guys at home. I am just saying, you aren't going to win without going far afield to create a complete team. Those days are over.

Most of the Pitt Oklahoma players grew up closer to Pitt than to Edmond or Tahlequah. If I'm reading you correctly, it seems like you are pretending state boundaries define who is local to what team. If Pitt wasn't doing well from Tulsa North, they would be neglecting their own local talent. Maybe I'm missing your point here?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

in my post, last night would have been somewhat different if say 4 of the top 5 tacklers on emporias team played at UCO as well as the starting QB and RB. youre also removing them from ES as well.
              You didn't need them to beat ESU. Teams cherry pick other local areas at times, too. The danger in that is that you end up with really angry locals. I remember several years back a local kid ended up at ESU from the Pittsburg area because the Pitt staff didn't offer him a scholarship. Lots of donor types were furious about it.

Another example is Germaine Race, who is a Pitt legend. He was recruited straight out of Warrensburg MO. I imagine mule donors were furious about that, but it happens.

Comment

Does UCO do in state tuition for border states, certain areas, etc like most conference teams do?

Comment

Does UCO do in state tuition for border states, certain areas, etc like most conference teams do?
                  somewhat....nothing like ESU and PITT do though. both of the offers were very good both times with the out of state waivers.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

reload, i hope all of your hotdogs at the games this year are soaked in mustard pre-cum
                    Fellow posters, learn from jimbo … if you’re going to write a novel-and-a-half about an 0-2 team going nowhere, reward the people who stick with you to the end with a gem like this. 10/10, no notes.

Comment

You are correct but to let them go to your opponent is shameful.

Comment

But Pitt and moso sitt on border get regular students out of northeast Oklahoma and sit 30 minutes from a juco that attracts football talent from across Oklahoma. So then having Oklahoma talent and kids from nw ark is not surprising. Look at NW and numbe vit Iowa and Nebraska players they have. Pitt has a lot of really good degree programs that attract the recruits going to school for an education as well

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Fellow posters, learn from jimbo … if you’re going to write a novel-and-a-half about an 0-2 team going nowhere, reward the people who stick with you to the end with a gem like this. 10/10, no notes.
                          hahaha im a giver. but, you might want to read the koi pond trash....we beat the pecker gnats

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                            But Pitt and moso sitt on border get regular students out of northeast Oklahoma and sit 30 minutes from a juco that attracts football talent from across Oklahoma. So then having Oklahoma talent and kids from nw ark is not surprising. Look at NW and numbe vit Iowa and Nebraska players they have. Pitt has a lot of really good degree programs that attract the recruits going to school for an education as well
                            Yeah, Pitt is 20 miles from ok, 3 miles from Mo, and 90ish miles from AR. Southern is located similarly. Kids from all those states come to camps with those coaches, take field trips to those schools, etc...

UCO and NSU have geographic situations that are very different from each other and very different from Pitt and MoSo.

Pitt used to rely almost exclusively on talent from KS, OK, and MO. In the old days when Pitt was the only good D2 team in the conference, that was easy. Then Nw got Goodl and made the KC area tougher to recruit, and now you have a bunch of good schools in the conference fighting over the same players.

Now they have roughly the same amount of TX players as they do OK players. Those 3 states still make up the bulk of their team, but not to the degree that they used to. At least for Pitt, it was crucial to branch out nationwide to get the talent to compete. (At least, I hope they are ready to compete) The internet, juco law changes in KS, and the transfer portal have all made that a lot easier to do on a D2 budget than it used to be.

Comment

Pitts problem biggest problem is it's legacy. You cannot have that longevity of success without reaching a point where any thing less than a championship is a bad season. The current MIAA is not set up for long term success unless you are NW.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X