Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off topic football thread

what are your thoughts on yesterdays D1 games

ill start with one near and dear to some of you up in the KC area.

watched that neb GASO game last night. Jesus! Scott Frost is in trouble.
    the black shirts need to do something about that DC. he got eaten alive and the DLine stopped absolutely NO running. 5.7 yards per carry.
    GA punted for the first time half way through the 3rd quarter.

i have a personal connection to Casey Thompson. i've known him since he was a young tike. coached against him in little league and went to middle school and high school with his mother. great kid and he seemed to be the only spark for nebish last night. i wish Lincoln riley would have gone after him instead of a few they went after. he seriously wanted to play for OU. you probably know his dad....google Charles Thompson and sports illustrated and look for images. if you've been around since the 70s...you've definitely seen that picture.
    anyway, Casey seems to be the only player keeping that offense moving. i think neb has always been my second favorite team behind OU my entire life. at least since i discovered football back when i started playing. it sucks to see Nebraska down so bad especially with OU heading to see them this week.

the game i was more interested in was texASS and bama. my thought was bama really thought they were going to be able to walk in and tell them what they were going run and the texas defense woudnt be able to stop them. texas played better than ive seen them in 10 years and bama played very sloppy. ANNNNDDD they played at DKR stadium lol. you dont just walk out of that place without being heavily penalized. bama had 15 penalties for 100 yards. texas had zero for zero yards. glad it was that close. i kind of wished i could have woken up this morning and see them still playing into the 45th OT at a 0-0 tie.
    of note: Gary Patterson as a DC is scary. that dude has nothing to think about other than worry about defense??? jesus.

AandM deserved that ass kicking in my mind. app state has a history and TAMU didn't respect it. they've spent so much cash on buying wins and still haven't been able to. i love it. I'm a big fan of building a foundation first. otherwise, you're just putting lipstick on a pig. i also dislike relying solely on juco transfers. they serve a purpose in small doses. if you have a large roster of juco players, you typically turn the team into a gaggle of individuals who turn the program into a juco school. i mean, a majority of the time, there is a huge reason they started at JUCO. Oklahoma state is a good example. they got an injection of millions of dollars back about 15 years ago and the team got much worse. and eventually has gotten slowly better. it took Gundy threatening to leave several times and getting many raises but they've finally gotten better and consistently staying in the top 25. but to begin with, the kids ONLY wanted to come to OSU for all the pretty uniform combinations and JUCOs were dying to get in. they had a lot of bad apples there to begin with.

anyway,

the other funny was ND losing to a Mathew mahgdoimghey led marshal team at home.

thougts

Last edited by jimbo slice; 09-11-2022, 10:24 AM.

Kudos to Matt Campbell and the Iowa St. Cyclones! The game was ugly and boring as hell to watch but the Cyclones get the win and the Cy-Hawk Trophy is back in Ames. Hawkeyes played well defensively forcing 3 TO's and blocking 2 punts on special teams but the offense was more than anemic. Cyclones forced 3 TO's themselves and went on a 99 yard, 21 play drive consuming almost 12 minutes for the winning TD. Strange ending giving the Hawkeyes offense 20 yards on a neutral zone infraction and unsportsmanlike conduct penalty followed by a 9 yard completion for a chance at a game-tying FG that went wide left.

Cincinnati, Houston and BYU are going to be good additions to the Big 12.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

saw where NU is now 241-1 at home when scoring at least 35 pts. Another inglorious record for Frost
      Last edited by NWFanatic; 09-12-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Why are people pretending Nebraska didn't suck for a couple decades before Frost took over.

Comment

Frost fired today.
          Go Hounds!
          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
          Cyclone Power
          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
            Why are people pretending Nebraska didn't suck for a couple decades before Frost took over.
            i mean, they really didn't start getting that way until they moved to the big 10

right?

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
              Frost fired today.
              wow

Comment

As a Nebraska fan I can say I'm sad that Frost had to be fired but the teams performance under him demanded it. I've never seen a coach that was so close but yet kept finding ways not to get it done. Last year Nebraska's defense was pretty good and the offense was inept and this year is vice versa. It's mind boggling! I'm hoping they can poach Leipold from KU or somehow pull Bob Stoops out of retirement, but I dont see either actually happening.

Comment

Careful Alberts might just cut the program Like at UNO. :)
                  Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Nah. They haven't been any better than mediocre since about 2001. I mean there were some 9 or 10 win seasons under Pelini and Solich, but they haven't been nationally relevant Since 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Gorillahawk View Post
                      As a Nebraska fan I can say I'm sad that Frost had to be fired but the teams performance under him demanded it. I've never seen a coach that was so close but yet kept finding ways not to get it done. Last year Nebraska's defense was pretty good and the offense was inept and this year is vice versa. It's mind boggling! I'm hoping they can poach Leipold from KU or somehow pull Bob Stoops out of retirement, but I dont see either actually happening.
                      Early rumors for candidates include Matt Campbell. This is a bummer as an Iowa St. fan but realize his success at turning things around in Ames will make him a candidate for job openings like Nebraska. I'm sure that the Nebraska job would be enticing to him with them being in the Big 10.

Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power
                      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

Early rumors for candidates include Matt Campbell. This is a bummer as an Iowa St. fan but realize his success at turning things around in Ames will make him a candidate for job openings like Nebraska. I'm sure that the Nebraska job would be enticing to him with them being in the Big 10.
                        i remember after OU won the NC in 2000 for 6 or 7 years stoops name was thrown in the hat for every damn job that came open. very irritating lol

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

i remember after OU won the NC in 2000 for 6 or 7 years stoops name was thrown in the hat for every damn job that came open. very irritating lol
                          Stoops was always average at best. They would play a cupcake schedule and then lose in a bowl game. Over and over that was Bob Stoops after that 2000 NC.
                          Roll Chos!

Comment

Kansas State's blowout win over Missouri 40-12...sweet. The tigers should drop down to the Missouri Valley Conference. If you left the Big-12, then you're on my sh_t list forever.

Comment

Love the fact that some non power five schools went in and beat some of the so called "big boys". Heck, Happy Appy really should be 2-0. Loved that K-State pounded Mizzou as well.

The transfer portal is going to be interesting over the next few years as well as coaches have to do their best to keep people happy to stick with their program. Big boys can't keep all of them happy, they transfer out and those teams with senior/5th year leadership sprinkled in with in a transfer here and there and they can be very competitive. Case in point, K-State. Martinez transfers in and doesn't have to "do it all" as he has a great running back and some other players who have a "team first" gritty attitude. HE looks relaxed as there isn't the pressure like when he was at Nebraska.

IN speaking with a former Power Five athlete, NIL is going crazy. They know of some 4-5 Star kids that have offers from all of the big boys and some schools closer to home are losing out on recruits from what the kid can get from NIL monies. He has heard of some getting offers of well into the 6 figure mark with some mid-6 figure mark. Look at Burden from MU, the 5 star receiver out of St. Louis. Goes to Mizzou and everyone knows that he will be gone in three years. This year may not go well for him at Mizzou as they are searching for a QB or scheming to get him the ball. So what does he do...enters the portal and goes to the school that is willing to give him the most NIL money. Heck, he can do it twice and still be a high round draft pick. Why, because he has the talent.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X