Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Like I say, I'm torn on it because I don't think either conference should be rewarded. One is lazy, the other is running a pyramid scheme.

I want the silo to go away, too. It will take fans and boosters becoming activists and putting pressure on administrators, though, and I'm not sure getting jobbed out of one playoff will be enough to make that happen.
    I bought my Powerball tickets this morning. If I win it, I guarantee silo scheduling will be a thing of the past in the MIAA.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

• Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

Because Truman and Indy play the SOS game.
      Plays the SOS game? Meaning, Truman’s conference has open dates, so Truman goes out and schedules four teams who will finish at or above .500, including one (Davenport) who will make the playoffs, one (SD Mines) who hasn’t lost a game this year to a team with fewer than 7 wins, and another (Hillsdale), who is .500 and not some bottom-dweller?

Is that what “playing the SOS game” means? I call that “challenging themselves in nonconference to prove they have talent because they know the bottom of the GLVC isn’t very strong.”

Edited because my brain just got teams jumbled in my head. Was trying to say Hillsdale beat Ashland and instead said Truman beat Ashland.
      Last edited by TSU_Mike59; 11-06-2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

Plays the SOS game? Meaning, Truman’s conference has open dates, so Truman goes out and schedules four teams who will finish at or above .500, including two (Davenport and Ashland) who are going to make the playoffs, one (SD Mines) who hasn’t lost a game this year to a team with fewer than 7 wins, and another (Hillsdale), who is .500 and not some bottom-dweller?

Is that what “playing the SOS game” means? I call that “challenging themselves in nonconference to prove they have talent because they know the bottom of the GLVC isn’t very strong.”
        You didn't play Ashland this year, so let's get that out of the way. Challenging themselves to prove they have talent. By beating middle of the road teams from soft football conferences like the RMAC and GMAC? Congratulations on proving your talent. You got beat by Davenport who's quickly finding out they aren't upper tier GLIAC.
        Go Hounds!
        B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
        Cyclone Power
        ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Plays the SOS game? Meaning, Truman’s conference has open dates, so Truman goes out and schedules four teams who will finish at or above .500, including two (Davenport and Ashland) who are going to make the playoffs, one (SD Mines) who hasn’t lost a game this year to a team with fewer than 7 wins, and another (Hillsdale), who is .500 and not some bottom-dweller?

Ok TSU Mike....Let's say a decent amount of all you own is on the line and you have to bet it on the outcome, or....your stuff is on the chopping block...

Who are you taking NW or Emporia vs. UIndy or Truman...... (The DOGS left the conference for a reason....they competed yearly with Lincoln, SBU, MOSO you name it for the crown of the bottom tier.) I know that was the past, but seriously, look at the more recent (post season) matchups when they are presented. The answer to the first question is very obvious.

Now a legit question...Where do you think TSU or UIndy would finish in the MIAA? How about the other conferences in the region? (We have a flawed system!)

Let's get to the FCS model where they actually try to get the best teams into the post season regardless of region!

Comment

Like I say, I'm torn on it because I don't think either conference should be rewarded. One is lazy, the other is running a pyramid scheme.

I want the silo to go away, too. It will take fans and boosters becoming activists and putting pressure on administrators, though, and I'm not sure getting jobbed out of one playoff will be enough to make that happen.
            Now is a great time to dump silo's for Football. I know some GLIAC teams that are ready and waiting. Open dates are available for '23

Comment

And exactly why did Truman leave the MIAA? Simply because they were middle road or doormats in the MIAA and couldn't ever see themselves making the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post

And exactly why did Truman leave the MIAA? Simply because they were middle road or doormats in the MIAA and couldn't ever see themselves making the playoffs.
                I posted this on another thread:

As an alum who played FB back in the MIAA days, it did to me [bothered me that we left] at first as well, but then it became very clear that the MIAA was moving into markets and areas that didn’t suit Truman at all - adding lengthy, lengthy trips from far northeast Missouri to central Oklahoma, western Kansas, and central Nebraska, when, on the flip side, they could add multiple trips to St. Louis, Kansas City and central Illinois/Chicago where they have a larger alumni base and primarily were recruiting not just athletes but student to the University. It was a no-brainer.

Comment

I posted this on another thread:

As an alum who played FB back in the MIAA days, it did to me [bothered me that we left] at first as well, but then it became very clear that the MIAA was moving into markets and areas that didn’t suit Truman at all - adding lengthy, lengthy trips from far northeast Missouri to central Oklahoma, western Kansas, and central Nebraska, when, on the flip side, they could add multiple trips to St. Louis, Kansas City and central Illinois/Chicago where they have a larger alumni base and primarily were recruiting not just athletes but student to the University. It was a no-brainer.
                  After Truman left the MIAA and there were still OOC games in the MIAA - Truman refused to play NW. NW tried to schedule them (it would continue the Hickory Stick game as well as help SOS because Truman was going to be above .500 in the GLVC). So even though the footprint might be better in the GLVC - the weaker competition was definitely a huge factor
                  Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

• Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                    After Truman left the MIAA and there were still OOC games in the MIAA - Truman refused to play NW. NW tried to schedule them (it would continue the Hickory Stick game as well as help SOS because Truman was going to be above .500 in the GLVC). So even though the footprint might be better in the GLVC - the weaker competition was definitely a huge factor
                    I agree, and the administrators who sell the party line BS about it all being about travel distance lack integrity.

Comment

He's still wearing the Kool-Aid goggles.
                      Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power
                      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Can't argue with that, but Truman has played GV and other good schools since they left. I suspect it wasn't so much about competition with NW but likely some grudge. That's just an opinion from someone with no dog in this fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Can't argue with that, but Truman has played GV and other good schools since they left. I suspect it wasn't so much about competition with NW but likely some grudge. That's just an opinion from someone with no dog in this fight.
                          More about being able to sell Truman to recruits, imo.

GV is a billion miles from Yruman, NW isnt.

Comment

More about being able to sell Truman to recruits, imo.

GV is a billion miles from Yruman, NW isnt.
                            That's my point. Truman didn't duck GV. Traveled (and GV played AT Truman too.) So there's something more than just not wanting a loss to NW if they played AND traveled to GV

Comment

I agree. NW has the best front 7 in the conference, but has major holes in other areas. ESU is really solid and deep on D, really good pass O, getting closer to balanced on that side of the ball, and decent on special teams.

That said, I don't know that they know how to win with their backs against the wall like NW has done a few times this season.
                              ESU has fielded some good teams against some weak NW teams. That said, it's still a 26 game win streak for NW that ESU would have to finally break this weekend.

Entirely possible, but NW really has their number too, even in bad years.

Comment

• Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

I bought my Powerball tickets this morning. If I win it, I guarantee silo scheduling will be a thing of the past in the MIAA.
                                If I won the Powerball I could care less what MIAA does with football scheduling. I'll be worrying about my next drink to order sitting on the beach somewhere tropical, haha.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X