Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowling

Will Emporia State and UNK go bowling?? Should they?

Originally posted by Magic Man View Post
    Will Emporia State and UNK go bowling?? Should they?
    More like do they want to go? The two bowl games can pick anyone they please ... many schools turn bids down due to cost, injuries and these basically being cold-weather games played in high school stadiums in front of parents and family. No thanks but guessing someone will say yes.

Comment

Based on references in Lopers.com articles and the answers Coach Lynn has given when asked about it since the loss to Northwest, it definitely seems like UNK not only would accept a bowl invite but are hoping they get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

More like do they want to go? The two bowl games can pick anyone they please ... many schools turn bids down due to cost, injuries and these basically being cold-weather games played in high school stadiums in front of parents and family. No thanks but guessing someone will say yes.
        It’s more the 3 weeks of practice for the young guys as the benefit

Comment

Originally posted by IfYouAintLope View Post

Yeah. There are a couple of schools of thought about bowl games.

1- Not worth it financially. Time is better spent recruiting so you can make the playoffs.
          2- Worth it for the extra practice, extra game for the seniors, and just maybe get your brand out there in an area where you might pick up a recruit or 2.

Comment

Coach Wright left it up to the Pitt players last year, and they chose not to go. I like that approach.

Comment

to me, makes much more sense to have the bowl game no matter the expense. (within reason) selling a brand. more practice. youll even have a chance to recruit in an area you wouldnt normally go.
              all of those, in my mind, are good for the school. the kids opting out, is weak. it seems like you always want an opportunity to get better. every snap is a chance to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                to me, makes much more sense to have the bowl game no matter the expense. (within reason) selling a brand. more practice. youll even have a chance to recruit in an area you wouldnt normally go.
                all of those, in my mind, are good for the school. the kids opting out, is weak. it seems like you always want an opportunity to get better. every snap is a chance to do just that.
                I disagree. The team felt they had their chance at a real post season and failed to perform. They didn't feel they should be rewarded for that. I think it's great that they took personal responsibility.

I would have been fine if they had decided to play it, but their reasoning was sound. They didn't quit, they just hadn't earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                  Agreed on all accounts. How many times have we heard coaches complain about the limits that are put on them in spring practice and summer/fall camp. Every snap matters. One only needs to look at FH to see what has happened since they turned down their bowl bid. :D
                  Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

To be clear, I thought kind if like you guys did at first. There is a lot to be gained by going to a bowl, so you should always take it. After I heard their reasoning, I couldn't argue with it, or fault them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by IfYouAintLope View Post

Say they or anyone else gets an invite tomorrow. You practice 2-3 times this week, 2-3 times next week (Thanksgiving) and then a normal game week. Not that much of a benefit. Plus, it's cold out, dark out, guys are beat up etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

Say they or anyone else gets an invite tomorrow. You practice 2-3 times this week, 2-3 times next week (Thanksgiving) and then a normal game week. Not that much of a benefit. Plus, it's cold out, dark out, guys are beat up etc.
                        That’s 4-6 practices that are geared mainly toward young guys & letting the beat up dudes get healthy. Going to be practicing & staying in shape while 7 other MIAA schools are going to class & going home. Hard not to see the benefit of an extra 3 weeks. Rewards the Seniors too.

Comment

Originally posted by HornetTakeover View Post

That’s 4-6 practices that are geared mainly toward young guys & letting the beat up dudes get healthy. Going to be practicing & staying in shape while 7 other MIAA schools are going to class & going home. Hard not to see the benefit of an extra 3 weeks. Rewards the Seniors too.
                          exactly. you have true freshman that have been tackling dummies and scout team guys who, because of injuries and dings, now get to actually practice as a real player....

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I disagree. The team felt they had their chance at a real post season and failed to perform. They didn't feel they should be rewarded for that. I think it's great that they took personal responsibility.

I would have been fine if they had decided to play it, but their reasoning was sound. They didn't quit, they just hadn't earned it.
                            I.e. Proven Programs versus Good Programs.

Comment

You only get so many chances to play for your school. I’d be hard-pressed to turn that down.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X