Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood

I had to do a double take when I saw in the paper today that Lindenwood is scheduled to play the Kansas Jayhawks in 2024. I didn't realize Lindenwood had gone FCS division 1. Nw would regularly kick their ass when Lindenwood was in the miaa and d2. Lindenwood went 7-3 last year. Make you wonder how nw would do moving up.

Originally posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
    I had to do a double take when I saw in the paper today that Lindenwood is scheduled to play the Kansas Jayhawks in 2024. I didn't realize Lindenwood had gone FCS division 1. Nw would regularly kick their ass when Lindenwood was in the miaa and d2. Lindenwood went 7-3 last year. Make you wonder how nw would do moving up.
    Why would you start this talk again? I saw a tweet where the average ANNUAL expenses for d2 athletics is about $6M a year for FCS it is $15M...where in the hell do you think NW could come up with that kind of revenue a year? We're in a town of about 11k of which about 50% is college kids...county is about 23k...it was my understanding Lindenwood is well funded...very well funded so money wise they could make the move.

If you want to know how well NW could compete with a lot of FCS...the fact that NW couldn't ever get one to schedule a game to play should give you an idea of what those schools thought.

Comment

I'm not advocating moving up at all. I know it would make no sense economically. Just a hypothetical if money were not an issue. Besides I enjoy nw winning the d2 title in basketball most every year and going deep in the playoffs in football most years. We could probably rule in women's basketball too if we could get a certain MO West Griffin to enter the transfer portal.🤣

Comment

We could probably rule in women's basketball too if we could get a certain MO West Griffin to enter the transfer portal.🤣
        Ever recall hearing (and reading in the Kansas City Star) all those stories about what goes on with parents attending their kid's practices and games? Scarey for the kids. Nightmare for the coaches.

Comment

Three wins came against non-FCS schools (McKendree, William Jewell and Keiser) ... of the four FCS wins, one came in 2OT, another by a point, and another by 3 points. So, they aren't world beaters and ready for the playoffs. But of course good D2 teams would find success if they schedule smart.

Comment

I'm not advocating moving up at all. I know it would make no sense economically. Just a hypothetical if money were not an issue. Besides I enjoy nw winning the d2 title in basketball most every year and going deep in the playoffs in football most years. We could probably rule in women's basketball too if we could get a certain MO West Griffin to enter the transfer portal.🤣
            Preach on!!! :)

Comment

Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post

Ever recall hearing (and reading in the Kansas City Star) all those stories about what goes on with parents attending their kid's practices and games? Scarey for the kids. Nightmare for the coaches.
              Some can even do it via zoom or facetime! :)

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Why would you start this talk again? I saw a tweet where the average ANNUAL expenses for d2 athletics is about $6M a year for FCS it is $15M...where in the hell do you think NW could come up with that kind of revenue a year? We're in a town of about 11k of which about 50% is college kids...county is about 23k...it was my understanding Lindenwood is well funded...very well funded so money wise they could make the move.

If you want to know how well NW could compete with a lot of FCS...the fact that NW couldn't ever get one to schedule a game to play should give you an idea of what those schools thought.
                many wouldn't sched us for fear of losing. i reckon our nc teams would have waxed a significant portion of the lower half of 1aa. drake for ex lost to rolla in ot ly. we would obv rammycack them. they, along w/ others who are swimming in similar waters ain't taking our calls.

the rest i agree w/ though.

i almost wonder w/ the tv $ being what it is if schools aren't better off either in d2 or 1a. guess it depends how hard it is for 1aa schools to sched their paydays w/ 1a to fund the budget. of which i have no idea. just a conversation piece mind you i might be way off.
                Go Bearcats!
                M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

their sched is chock full of turds. they beat mckendry & jewell for ex.

we can & do win in d2. in 1aa we'd get a train run on us in the big sky, mvc & other leagues that have schools at or near the top of the div. that doesn't appeal to me. just my $0.02.

we'd beat the semo's & western ill's of the world. i'm sure we could teach lehigh a lesson. & lindenwood. *token :)*
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I had this same argument with a former Husker football player in a bar one time…told him no way Maryville could foot the $$$ to move up….he insisted that wouldn’t be an issue…think he might had a few too many Long Island Iced Teas that night and probably had practiced w/o a helmet on more than one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

many wouldn't sched us for fear of losing. i reckon our nc teams would have waxed a significant portion of the lower half of 1aa. drake for ex lost to rolla in ot ly. we would obv rammycack them. they, along w/ others who are swimming in similar waters ain't taking our calls.

the rest i agree w/ though.

i almost wonder w/ the tv $ being what it is if schools aren't better off either in d2 or 1a. guess it depends how hard it is for 1aa schools to sched their paydays w/ 1a to fund the budget. of which i have no idea. just a conversation piece mind you i might be way off.
                      It'd be interesting to see where SDSU, SD, ND and NDSU (plus the most successful 1aa FB teams) got their funding when they first moved up compared to where it comes from after being successful or not as much success in FB. Wonder if it stayed pretty much from the same sources or changed as success came...seems like NDSU's success came really quickly...while those schools could be a decent comparison to NW (since they had D2 roots and NW competed well with them) but...those 4 schools are also Flagship schools for their states (lesser populated states) which could mean more state funding too.

You look at ACU when AD took over, they scheduled what 2 or 3 P5's for probably a $750k to $1.5m payday, but the team took such a physical beating they weren't as good as they could have been playing their in-level competition...

As far as I know NW doesn't have any Billionaire alumni willing to fund such a venture.

How much would it cripple fund raising for the non-athletic needs of the school if such a move was funded by our handful of wealthy alumni on an annual basis?

I can't see any path to NW being able to make a move up even if we could compete well in a sport or two.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

It'd be interesting to see where SDSU, SD, ND and NDSU (plus the most successful 1aa FB teams) got their funding when they first moved up compared to where it comes from after being successful or not as much success in FB. Wonder if it stayed pretty much from the same sources or changed as success came...seems like NDSU's success came really quickly...while those schools could be a decent comparison to NW (since they had D2 roots and NW competed well with them) but...those 4 schools are also Flagship schools for their states (lesser populated states) which could mean more state funding too.

You look at ACU when AD took over, they scheduled what 2 or 3 P5's for probably a $750k to $1.5m payday, but the team took such a physical beating they weren't as good as they could have been playing their in-level competition...

As far as I know NW doesn't have any Billionaire alumni willing to fund such a venture.

How much would it cripple fund raising for the non-athletic needs of the school if such a move was funded by our handful of wealthy alumni on an annual basis?

I can't see any path to NW being able to make a move up even if we could compete well in a sport or two.
                        There's lots of money in the Dakotas and those 4 are THE SHOW in the state. No other D1's to worry about so they get all the booster and state monies. When they were D2, amazing to see the crowds and media attention they got. In Northwest's case, would always be behind Mizzou and then have to contend with SLU, LWU, UMKC for recruits and such.

Every school that moves up is in a different situation. Some have a booster or two flipping the bill (Augie), some like the Dakotas have a lot flipping the bill and others (Dixie State, SIU-Edwardsville, Chicago State, Seattle) shouldn't be D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

There's lots of money in the Dakotas and those 4 are THE SHOW in the state. No other D1's to worry about so they get all the booster and state monies. When they were D2, amazing to see the crowds and media attention they got. In Northwest's case, would always be behind Mizzou and then have to contend with SLU, LWU, UMKC for recruits and such.

Every school that moves up is in a different situation. Some have a booster or two flipping the bill (Augie), some like the Dakotas have a lot flipping the bill and others (Dixie State, SIU-Edwardsville, Chicago State, Seattle) shouldn't be D1.
                          I thought I'd heard those four schools had a big advantage for those reasons...If NW moved up, I don't know that'd we'd add much if any to our fan base or get that current fan base to spend more money or donate more just for a move up...I don't really ever hear any complaining from fan base about wanting us to be D1, seems most are perfectly happy with D2. I know I am.

Comment

The Dakota schools are in a different league than most d2 or even 1aa schools.

Heck 2 of them have med school and law school programs, enrollments of 10k to 33k, etc...

It's just a whole different situation.

Comment

South Dakota schools cannot use state money for scholarships, idk about North Dakota. Almost everything in athletics is privately funded.

SDSU raised 200 million in a campaign back in 2012.

Northern State privately raised around $100 million for the football stadium, softball complex, soccer field, football practice field, three new dorms and a brand new science building. That was over about a ten year span.

I dont know anything about the USD situation, but thats mostly because I want to waste any time on a $#!& school...but thats just me. Ha

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X