Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Try II View Post

Week zero? D2 schools can't start playing until Sept. 1. You'd have to get a waiver to play Aug. 26 and start camp a week earlier.
    Do you know how much extra one week of camp costs the average team? Good luck getting that extra money for a road game...not even close....

Comment

Its not an extra week, it's an earlier week.

Comment

Week zero? D2 schools can't start playing until Sept. 1. You'd have to get a waiver to play Aug. 26 and start camp a week earlier.
        I wish they would add a week to give some scheduling flexibility

Comment

Right.

Comment

Funding aside, I have to believe that the NCAA would grant a waiver for 2 good match up D2 games to kick off a season. But yes, it does extend the season by a week. I think that's why they have the rule in place... they didn't want the schools to have an extra week of practice, etc. True, not more games, but an extra week due to a potential bye week during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Funding aside, I have to believe that the NCAA would grant a waiver for 2 good match up D2 games to kick off a season. But yes, it does extend the season by a week. I think that's why they have the rule in place... they didn't want the schools to have an extra week of practice, etc. True, not more games, but an extra week due to a potential bye week during the season.
              Almost.

We used to have 12 weeks to complete 11 games. It was reduced because certain schools proposed the 11/11 model to help curtail exactly the costs that champ mentioned.

Comment

Nah. It's limited because the penny pinchers wanted it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Do you know how much extra one week of camp costs the average team? Good luck getting that extra money for a road game...not even close....
                  well? fill us in. how much does an extra week cost a team?

i mean the team is already there. the kids have to have meal plans that the team doesn't necessarily have to pay for. i mean they are supposing to be "reporting" to camp but fact is, they are really there the whole time. so what are the costs involved?

Comment

i think we have a discussion in here about the post season bowl games and how some teams in the MIAA have a case of the ass and vote down a bowl game because its "playoffs or bust"

everyone wants that extra practice at the beginning of the season even a week extra seems to get you an advantage.

i bet those teams that turned down the bowl game would want that extra 3 weeks back the season before huh?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

i mean the team is already there. the kids have to have meal plans that the team doesn't necessarily have to pay for. i mean they are supposing to be "reporting" to camp but fact is, they are really there the whole time. so what are the costs involved?
                      The costs can be more than you think as it not cheap to house and feed a team of one hundred people + coaches. Let's just use 100 people for easy figuring. Unless you have donated meals, the cost for meals for one day is at least $25/day (3 meals and this is probably low balling food costs). That's $2500/day for meals. 7 days equates to $17,500. The actual cost is probably closer to $20K when you factor in trainers and the other auxiliary folks. Unless your school doesn't charge for those living in the residence halls (dorms) that's an additional cost. Let's say you have 50 players living in the halls. Rates would at a minimum would be $20/day/player. That's $1000 and day, $7000 for the week. So we're looking at around $25,000 for the week at a minimum. While that may not seem like much, it can't be laughed at.

As for meal plans the kids have to have, how many of those are part of their scholarship monies? I can say in my years here at UCM, a large portion of meal plans for football players are covered by scholarships because they want them to eat. Meal plans DO NOT start until the student body returns (typically now around one week from the start of fall camp) so it is NOT covered by scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

The meal plans typically don't start until a few days before classes. I'm going to estimate the costs of bringing in a crew a week earlier.

125 players x $5 per meal x 3 meals = $1,875 per day.

50 players x $10 per day early dorm fee = $500 per day.

So $2,375 per day x 7 days = $16,625.

These are just guesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post

The costs can be more than you think as it not cheap to house and feed a team of one hundred people + coaches. Let's just use 100 people for easy figuring. Unless you have donated meals, the cost for meals for one day is at least $25/day (3 meals and this is probably low balling food costs). That's $2500/day for meals. 7 days equates to $17,500. The actual cost is probably closer to $20K when you factor in trainers and the other auxiliary folks. Unless your school doesn't charge for those living in the residence halls (dorms) that's an additional cost. Let's say you have 50 players living in the halls. Rates would at a minimum would be $20/day/player. That's $1000 and day, $7000 for the week. So we're looking at around $25,000 for the week at a minimum. While that may not seem like much, it can't be laughed at.

As for meal plans the kids have to have, how many of those are part of their scholarship monies? I can say in my years here at UCM, a large portion of meal plans for football players are covered by scholarships because they want them to eat. Meal plans DO NOT start until the student body returns (typically now around one week from the start of fall camp) so it is NOT covered by scholarship.
                          I wish I would have known that you posted this before I did. I trust your numbers to be more accurate than mine.

Comment

Dorms are owned by the schools. The school would incur costs for an extra week of increased utilities, and support staff only. Schools like to claim lost revenue vs. actual loss.

That said, the numbers above probably still work since teams usually have considerably more than 100 players.

Comment

My high school has been doing a zero weight game for the last 4 or 5 years and that allows them to schedule a week off within the first 3 weeks before district play starts. Because we have a challenging non-conference that week off allows for our players to have a week to rest their body before district starts and it's much better for our team. I always thought 11 games in 11 weeks was too hard on the body having a bye week in the middle of the season isn't a bad deal for the players that's why all the big boys do it. I think everybody got away from it because of all the heat exhaustion deaths that were happening about 10 years ago when you were playing in August especially when you're playing daytime games. That artificial turf is insanely hot in August here in the south .

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Dorms are owned by the schools. The school would incur costs for an extra week of increased utilities, and support staff only. Schools like to claim lost revenue vs. actual loss.

That said, the numbers above probably still work since teams usually have considerably more than 100 players.
                                You could talk to more people in housing or with knowledge of it, like GorillaJohn.

I have known for at least 10 years that football teams were charged for the stays in the dorms and the meals. While it is one school, it is also different departments.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X