Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee shop discussion this morning ...

... in Los Angeles. Dude was wearing a Chico State football alumni t-shirt.

I told him I went to Western Oregon and was sorry to see Chico cut football. He said it was very sad, he played in the 80's (including one year for coach Mike Bellotti, eventual U-Oregon coach). I mentioned Humboldt and he said that was sad, too. He said D2 in the West is dying ... he also knew about the initial plans to have North-South GNAC schools. I told him few schools remain and he just shook his head. I mentioned WWU cutting it and he didn't know and was surprised. He said it's all sad. I said a lot of talent here in California, he replied, "Yeah, you'd think they could do something with that" and he went on his way.

I feel real bad for guys like him, who invested a lot on the field in college only to see their program get cut.

Re: Coffee shop discussion this morning ...

Thanks, Linda Richman

Comment

Thank you for that Tim. I'm glad to hear that there are more people out there like us and there is definitely enough talent in California to have 3-4 D2 Universities with teams instead of all the JuCo's that may put you into a D1-FBS program. When we see the number of kids that don't make it from those programs, turning them into 4 year programs would seem like a good idea just for the kids that don't have the talent to move to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Grill View Post
        Thanks, Linda Richman
        Who is Linda Richman?

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          Who is Linda Richman?
          Saturday Night Live sketch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Talk

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            Saturday Night Live sketch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Talk
            Went straight over my head ... then again, SNL hasn't been relevant for years.

Comment

Well,this hasn't been on for twenty years- about when they should have dropped the show.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                Well,this hasn't been on for twenty years- about when they should have dropped the show.
                Mike Myers hasn't been on SNL since the 90s, so you are both right. :)

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHigh
                  Unfortunately, when it is all said and done, and Humboldt is gone, no one will give a crap around here either. Overall, no one cares about D2 football in the west.
                  Sadly, this is true. Admins like that WWU clown, who cut football and ran off into the sunset; and the HSU president goofball, basically can do what they want and get away with it. At UAB (FBS), they cut football, uprising got the president and A.D. fired, and the return of football. At Idaho, president moved program back to FCS, boosters rose up, wrote letters to state board of education, got him fired. (Football won't be moving back up soon, however.)

There's not enough booster power in D2. WWU put together a strong front, good fund raising, etc., and they still got it cut. Funny to watch these athletic departments as long time WWU employees ducked for cover and said nothing about football being cut, just wanting to protect their jobs/retirement; long time SID riding off into retirement staying silent; another guy getting elevated to A.D. completely mute; but hell, just cut the major sport anyway as long as I keep my job. Screw kids over, but I get to keep my job. I've worked (covered guys as a reporter) with enough survivalists in my life to loathe these people. My "favorite" was a guy at Idaho, administrator, who went jogging with the head men's basketball coach at lunch time. When the coach got on the hot seat, he quit jogging with him. When the coach (good guy) got fired, he disassociated with him. But hey, he kept his job ... jobs come and go, I'd rather be able to look at myself in the mirror with honesty, but hey, that's just me.

Rossbacher or whatever her name is, has ZERO, NONE, NADA, feelings about football, coaches losing jobs, kids not being able to play. Looking at her bio, it's not impressive, like that guy at WWU, who was a mid-level EOU administrator ... they both got jobs they weren't capable of doing (see WWU's scandals under that guy's watch, lots of them); and they probably know deep down they some how fooled people into getting jobs they're not really good enough to do, but the gigs pay well and they sure as h-ll better keep that job. A harder thing to do is roll up the sleeves and raise money and keep the programs. They don't want to do the work.

Rant not over ... :at-wits-end:

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHigh
                    Unfortunately, when it is all said and done, and Humboldt is gone, no one will give a crap around here either. Overall, no one cares about D2 football in the west.
                    APU, WOU, and CWU would argue otherwise. There are not many teams, but they do seem to care.

I am sorry that you guys got screwed, but football is not dead. Dying? Maybe. A long slow death. We may see a couple of schools from Mexico get added before it dies completely. Who knows if any of the DIII schools decide the time is right? Maybe even an NAIA school, like Arizona Christian tries in 5 years. It just isn't dead yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Librarian View Post
                      APU, WOU, and CWU would argue otherwise. There are not many teams, but they do seem to care.

I am sorry that you guys got screwed, but football is not dead. Dying? Maybe. A long slow death. We may see a couple of schools from Mexico get added before it dies completely. Who knows if any of the DIII schools decide the time is right? Maybe even an NAIA school, like Arizona Christian tries in 5 years. It just isn't dead yet.
                      The reason HSU and WWU cut football is because they can. The angst the admins is easier than them having to go out and raise money. Heck, Humboldt had a nice chunk of money raised and they still cut it. I notice that nearby SOU (NAIA) has a bye week; and a good bus trip (but cheaper than flying) to EOU is possible as they have a bye week. Each would've been cheaper than going to Midwestern State and Permian Basin. And before anyone yells, "Yeah, but they're NAIA!" At this point, who cares? Save money, save the program.Their women's soccer team is going to Colorado for matches, those could've been switched out to more cost-saving matches. Lots of things could've been done ... they didn't want to do them.

Comment

The reason HSU and WWU cut football is because they can. The angst the admins is easier than them having to go out and raise money. Heck, Humboldt had a nice chunk of money raised and they still cut it. I notice that nearby SOU (NAIA) has a bye week; and a good bus trip (but cheaper than flying) to EOU is possible as they have a bye week. Each would've been cheaper than going to Midwestern State and Permian Basin. And before anyone yells, "Yeah, but they're NAIA!" At this point, who cares? Save money, save the program.Their women's soccer team is going to Colorado for matches, those could've been switched out to more cost-saving matches. Lots of things could've been done ... they didn't want to do them.
                        HSU to SOU is a very, very short trip for whoever the road team would be. It would be by far HSU's shortest road trip if them, but as you already know SOU has a 'D2 is worse than D3 or NAIA' mentality. Too many think that on the west coast I think, unwilling to make the jump. The sad thing is, they can point to WWU and HSU as examples of it not working and why they won't make the move. The truth is though, if they'd have made the move they may have saved both programs by giving them shorter road trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                          HSU to SOU is a very, very short trip for whoever the road team would be. It would be by far HSU's shortest road trip if them, but as you already know SOU has a 'D2 is worse than D3 or NAIA' mentality. Too many think that on the west coast I think, unwilling to make the jump. The sad thing is, they can point to WWU and HSU as examples of it not working and why they won't make the move. The truth is though, if they'd have made the move they may have saved both programs by giving them shorter road trips.
                          Correct on SOU and their attitude towards division 2. If I was the GNAC I would go after their rival Oregon Tech and try to get them in the league to show up sou. I know Tech no longer has football, but I would like to see the GNAC do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Grill View Post
                            Thanks, Linda Richman
                            That's right! Coffee Tawk. No big whoop. We just tawk!

Comment

Correct on SOU and their attitude towards division 2. If I was the GNAC I would go after their rival Oregon Tech and try to get them in the league to show up sou. I know Tech no longer has football, but I would like to see the GNAC do that.
                              Should we also point out that the GNAC has private schools like Concordia, NNU, Saint Martins, APU, and Seatle Pacific? Yes only APU has football and is an associate member, but those other 4 are all Pacific Northwest private Universities at the D2 level and when they knock D2, they are also knocking those schools. Couldn't that be used to counter some of the misconceptions about D2 prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and pointing out these schools in its marketing and try to change that stigma?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X