Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football & homecoming

Just made it to Monmouth -- it's 75 degrees and sunny -- and homecoming is ready to go. Lots of people in town, more of a buzz for homecoming than when I was a student many years ago. It's one of the few times I can get to campus -- I did go to the Labor Day game vs. Angelo State. In hoops I'm lucky to get over a couple snowy highway passes to watch the Wolves just once.

Having football on campus is huge, having homecoming is great ... hate to beat a dead horse, but Humboldt State really screwed up here. Eliminating homecoming ensures keeping alums off campus. Nice work dumb & dumber HSU admins.

Re: Football & homecoming

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Just made it to Monmouth -- it's 75 degrees and sunny -- and homecoming is ready to go. Lots of people in town, more of a buzz for homecoming than when I was a student many years ago. It's one of the few times I can get to campus -- I did go to the Labor Day game vs. Angelo State. In hoops I'm lucky to get over a couple snowy highway passes to watch the Wolves just once.

Having football on campus is huge, having homecoming is great ... hate to beat a dead horse, but Humboldt State really screwed up here. Eliminating homecoming ensures keeping alums off campus. Nice work dumb & dumber HSU admins.

https://hsujacks.com/sports/2015/11/...?path=football

Couldn't agree more! HSU had 6000 fans for the homecoming game this year vs Simon Fraser in the beautiful Redwood Bowl. The tailgate scene was one that rivals anything at the D1 level...the alumni and parents flooded the community for the weekend which included the new Athletics Hall of Fame inductees....I hear next year the plan is for a "multi sport" homecoming celebration!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack View Post
      https://hsujacks.com/sports/2015/11/...?path=football

Couldn't agree more! HSU had 6000 fans for the homecoming game this year vs Simon Fraser in the beautiful Redwood Bowl. The tailgate scene was one that rivals anything at the D1 level...the alumni and parents flooded the community for the weekend which included the new Athletics Hall of Fame inductees....I hear next year the plan is for a "multi sport" homecoming celebration!
      Great post, great picture, hard for me to believe HSU is giving this up.

Some thoughts on WOU's homecoming:

* Largest crowd I've seen at a game, stands full, lots of other people not in the stands.

* Humboldt brought their band, which played with the WOU band for an hour after the game, which was cool.

* Humboldt had some fans tailgating, I saw some WOU fans talking to them, it appeared they were talking about the dropping of football, so I ended my idea of going over there and asking them questions.

* Humboldt fans told someone that it's possible the drop was orchestrated by CSU chancellor Tim White. He was the provost/interim president at Oregon State, when I was there in grad school. He was later a fairly inept president of the University of Idaho in my hometown. He had two heart attacks as president, so that obviously hurt things. The rumor on Saturday is he wanted to end football at all non-D-1 campuses in the CSU system, and he had willing partners in the HSU administration.

* There were some WOU fans holding out hope that football could be brought back at Humboldt with the right president. I think it's possible if the boosters, mayor, city council, etc., all push for its return -- and if most every Humboldt donor pulled their money until it's brought back.

* Some jackass WOU fan in front of the beer garden was heckling players all game, saying stupid sh-t. Luckily the WOU A.D. and facilities person went over there and told him to knock it off. H-ll, they just cut their program, guys came up on a bus to play a game not for glory or to be on ESPN, but because they love the sport. Jerks like that embarrass me and my school. Too bad an extra point didn't hit him in the face.

* Overall, a good game, score not indicative of how close it was. Great atmosphere, sunny, warm day. The elimination of HSU football was always present in the background and put a slight damper on the day. If the HSU A.D. was there, I would've given him an earful, but I'm sure he cowardly didn't make the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        Great post, great picture, hard for me to believe HSU is giving this up.

Some thoughts on WOU's homecoming:

* Largest crowd I've seen at a game, stands full, lots of other people not in the stands.

* Humboldt brought their band, which played with the WOU band for an hour after the game, which was cool.

* Humboldt had some fans tailgating, I saw some WOU fans talking to them, it appeared they were talking about the dropping of football, so I ended my idea of going over there and asking them questions.

* Humboldt fans told someone that it's possible the drop was orchestrated by CSU chancellor Tim White. He was the provost/interim president at Oregon State, when I was there in grad school. He was later a fairly inept president of the University of Idaho in my hometown. He had two heart attacks as president, so that obviously hurt things. The rumor on Saturday is he wanted to end football at all non-D-1 campuses in the CSU system, and he had willing partners in the HSU administration.

* There were some WOU fans holding out hope that football could be brought back at Humboldt with the right president. I think it's possible if the boosters, mayor, city council, etc., all push for its return -- and if most every Humboldt donor pulled their money until it's brought back.

* Some jackass WOU fan in front of the beer garden was heckling players all game, saying stupid sh-t. Luckily the WOU A.D. and facilities person went over there and told him to knock it off. H-ll, they just cut their program, guys came up on a bus to play a game not for glory or to be on ESPN, but because they love the sport. Jerks like that embarrass me and my school. Too bad an extra point didn't hit him in the face.

* Overall, a good game, score not indicative of how close it was. Great atmosphere, sunny, warm day. The elimination of HSU football was always present in the background and put a slight damper on the day. If the HSU A.D. was there, I would've given him an earful, but I'm sure he cowardly didn't make the trip.

https://www.facebook.com/15847466349...9402338179346/

Some more pics from HSU Homecoming...was fortunate enough to be at WOU / Humboldt game this Saturday...GREAT Atmosphere!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X