Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU-Idaho Addition

Hello all,

I wanted to purpose something to this thread and see what ou all thought about it. For a long time now, I have thought BYU-Idaho would be a great candidate to star a NCAA program and play in either the GNAC or the RMAC. What would you all think of that potential addition? BYU-I has had some junior college success, but killed the program when the school rebranded as BYU-I in the early 2000s. so if they joined, what would be your reaction?

Comment

They do have NNU close by in the GNAC in Nampa, don't forget that. Also they have Montana State-Billings to the East after getting up to I-90. They are on the Eastern edge of the GNAC in most sports, but football is where they would be better travel in RMAC. Getting to I-84 or I-90 (use I-15?) would get them drives to most GNAC schools in non-football sports, well other than the Alaska schools where they'd likely have to fly out of Boise or Salt Lake City.

I think it may show why CWU was RMAC in Wrestling for so many years, but at the same time how remote the West Coast is as a whole.
      Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 09-01-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
        Hello all,

I wanted to purpose something to this thread and see what ou all thought about it. For a long time now, I have thought BYU-Idaho would be a great candidate to star a NCAA program and play in either the GNAC or the RMAC. What would you all think of that potential addition? BYU-I has had some junior college success, but killed the program when the school rebranded as BYU-I in the early 2000s. so if they joined, what would be your reaction?
        Not happening, ever. I heard their former president talk, guy used to be head of the Harvard Business School. He bragged about having no intercollegiate athletics, said it was a headache for most presidents. He started an enormous intramural program, LDS kids like that. I went to high school with a lot of LDS kids: they're either really competitive or afraid of being competitive, not a lot inbetween. Take BYU out of the picture and most LDS guys are pretty soft and are happy not playing collegiate sports.

Regarding NNU, I work in Nampa (it's Nampa, not Napa), and they have zero interest in starting football. They should, it would revive a rather sleepy town of 100K and NAIA hoops rival College of Idaho is 7 miles away, but they would never add football. They've never had it and have no interest in it. MSU-Billings have studied a return to the sport, but doubtful it's happening. Hate to be a downer on all this, but C of I is staying NAIA as is SOU and EOU (though all 3 could go D2 and do well ... EOU has 16 football scholarships, SOU over 20, and C of I fully capped at 24); BYU-Idaho is never adding collegiate athletics again, and so forth. It's a bummer, but it's the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Not happening, ever. I heard their former president talk, guy used to be head of the Harvard Business School. He bragged about having no intercollegiate athletics, said it was a headache for most presidents. He started an enormous intramural program, LDS kids like that. I went to high school with a lot of LDS kids: they're either really competitive or afraid of being competitive, not a lot inbetween. Take BYU out of the picture and most LDS guys are pretty soft and are happy not playing collegiate sports.

Regarding NNU, I work in Nampa (it's Nampa, not Napa), and they have zero interest in starting football. They should, it would revive a rather sleepy town of 100K and NAIA hoops rival College of Idaho is 7 miles away, but they would never add football. They've never had it and have no interest in it. MSU-Billings have studied a return to the sport, but doubtful it's happening. Hate to be a downer on all this, but C of I is staying NAIA as is SOU and EOU (though all 3 could go D2 and do well ... EOU has 16 football scholarships, SOU over 20, and C of I fully capped at 24); BYU-Idaho is never adding collegiate athletics again, and so forth. It's a bummer, but it's the truth.
          Ya, I realize it is a long shot with church also closing their BYU-Hawaii athletics program a few years ago. I have just thought it would be so easy for them to start in comparison to other schools. The church is well funded and could keep the program afloat as it starts out. They pretty much already have all the facilities (would have to add some spaces but not a lot). The enrollment numbers are really good for a D2 school. It is a bummer, but one can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

They do have NNU close by in the GNAC in Napa, don't forget that. Also they have Montana State-Billings to the East after getting up to I-90. They are on the Eastern edge of the GNAC in most sports, but football is where they would be better travel in RMAC. Getting to I-84 or I-90 (use I-15?) would get them drives to most GNAC schools in non-football sports, well other than the Alaska schools where they'd likely have to fly out of Boise or Salt Lake City.

I think it may show why CWU was RMAC in Wrestling for so many years, but at the same time how remote the West Coast is as a whole.
            I see the RMAC/GNAC thing as a coin flip. GNAC probably needs them more, but the RMAC makes better travel sense for BYU-I. GNAC has the a closer rival/travel partner with NNU, but the RMAC has more sports to offer. If they did start a program, I could see them as a GNAC school normally and an affiliate RMAC school for a lot of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post

I see the RMAC/GNAC thing as a coin flip. GNAC probably needs them more, but the RMAC makes better travel sense for BYU-I. GNAC has the a closer rival/travel partner with NNU, but the RMAC has more sports to offer. If they did start a program, I could see them as a GNAC school normally and an affiliate RMAC school for a lot of sports.
              BYU-Idaho isn't going RMAC or GNAC. They're not starting up collegiate sports. It's a rather large school now, I think 22K, full of married Mormon students, who didn't get into the big BYU in Provo, or didn't want to go there. The growth of the school has hurt the enrollments of Idaho and Idaho State, especially the latter. It used to be Ricks College, a 2-year school with pretty good JC athletics. They're not returning to collegiate sports -- period. They have a nice intramural program, I've heard. Honestly, BYU-Idaho wouldn't know what GNAC and RMAC are.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

BYU-Idaho isn't going RMAC or GNAC. They're not starting up collegiate sports. It's a rather large school now, I think 22K, full of married Mormon students, who didn't get into the big BYU in Provo, or didn't want to go there. The growth of the school has hurt the enrollments of Idaho and Idaho State, especially the latter. It used to be Ricks College, a 2-year school with pretty good JC athletics. They're not returning to collegiate sports -- period. They have a nice intramural program, I've heard. Honestly, BYU-Idaho wouldn't know what GNAC and RMAC are.
                I agree, it is not a rumor or even likely. I am simply exploring if they did. If they wanted to, it could be a good addition to the conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X