Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

No GNAC team in 2014, Humboldt was in in 2015 and won their first game as a 4 seed before losing to NWMSU like every other team in the playoffs, 2016 Azusa got in with 2 losses, 2017 CWU obviously deservedly was in and lost by 3 to the eventual national champion in OT. Last year Midwestern failed to schedule a full schedule and was 8-2. A 9-2 record likely gets them in, lesson should've been learned but we shall see if it comes back to bite any teams this year.
    2015 they went to 7 teams and dropped earned access....a after that there has not been a conference left out. All I want is plain laying out of the conditions that determine playoff participation that does not allow for opinions to enter into the equation. Lay it out plainly, don't say these are the things the committee can use, buttttt its up to how they feel, and if they want to value some criteria higher than others for different regions or for seeding then that's ok.

In HS or the NFL win your conference or district your in, simple, after that there are concrete criteria that separate those that move on and those that don't, and its only in the HS realm that anything else comes into play which is a coin flip if the myriad of other tie breakers doesn't work.

Honestly I think it would help D2 in the long run as it will eliminate insular scheduling and make teams play other d2 teams rather than seek FCS money opponents or NAIA or some Mexican HS (looking at you Commerce).
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
      2015 they went to 7 teams and dropped earned access....a after that there has not been a conference left out. All I want is plain laying out of the conditions that determine playoff participation that does not allow for opinions to enter into the equation. Lay it out plainly, don't say these are the things the committee can use, buttttt its up to how they feel, and if they want to value some criteria higher than others for different regions or for seeding then that's ok.

In HS or the NFL win your conference or district your in, simple, after that there are concrete criteria that separate those that move on and those that don't, and its only in the HS realm that anything else comes into play which is a coin flip if the myriad of other tie breakers doesn't work.

Honestly I think it would help D2 in the long run as it will eliminate insular scheduling and make teams play other d2 teams rather than seek FCS money opponents or NAIA or some Mexican HS (looking at you Commerce).
      Which year are you leaving out someone then? You have exactly one controversial year you're basing this off of though. A year that Midwestern let the other team score more than they did, remember your defense comment for Fort Lewis vs Highlands, and they lost a couple games and didn't schedule a full 11 games. I'm not sure one controversial year really should lead to anything changing.

Comment

Comment

GNAC has never had earned access. It has never qualified for it because of the rule about associate school members.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Which year are you leaving out someone then? You have exactly one controversial year you're basing this off of though. A year that Midwestern let the other team score more than they did, remember your defense comment for Fort Lewis vs Highlands, and they lost a couple games and didn't schedule a full 11 games. I'm not sure one controversial year really should lead to anything changing.
            That would make sense if APU had won more games than Midwestern, or any other measurable data point that could be tied directly to on the field performance.

scheduling 11 d2 games IS NOT a criteria yet it's one mentioned every time a team doesn't make it and only has 10 or 9 d2 games.

Comment

That would make sense if APU had won more games than Midwestern, or any other measurable data point that could be tied directly to on the field performance.

scheduling 11 d2 games IS NOT a criteria yet it's one mentioned every time a team doesn't make it and only has 10 or 9 d2 games.
              Once again, as long as the NCAA allows closed conference scheduling there is no way to have accurate strength of schedule data. Therefore, they might as well get out the ouija board to pick their playoff teams.

in the current system, the only reasonable way to have a playoff system is to award the conference champion and runner up a playoff spot in each conference with a conference making up 6 teams. Thus, all schools would have to play in a conference as a member or an affiliate.

Only seeding that occurs is when a conference champ plays a runner up otherwise neutral field or coin flip.

Comment

It's not a criteria but it is common sense. However, again, you have one possible controversial year that you're basing this off of. Had Midwestern done what they needed to it wouldn't be an issue. Stop the other team from scoring points remember? :)

Comment

• In 2014, Azusa Pacific finished 10-1, yet they did not make the playoffs.

They ended up ranked eighth in the then Super Region III final poll but did not get an earned access bid apparently because they were considered only an associate member of the GNAC (i.e. football only.)

Really sucked!!

Comment

• Originally posted by cougarjunkie View Post
                    In 2014, Azusa Pacific finished 10-1, yet they did not make the playoffs.

They ended up ranked eighth in the then Super Region III final poll but did not get an earned access bid apparently because they were considered only an associate member of the GNAC (i.e. football only.)

Really sucked!!
                    Not only that, but the folks on this board were making the case that Sioux Falls (3rd place in the NSIC) were a bigger snub than 10-1 conference champ APU.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougarjunkie View Post
                      In 2014, Azusa Pacific finished 10-1, yet they did not make the playoffs.

Really sucked!!
                      I can't remember the number of losses HSU had the last time CWU was the #1 seed, but they many felt were also a snub. That was only a couple of seasons ago and they dropped something like 3 spots in the final rankings from in to out. A shame their administration cut the program after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I can't remember the number of losses HSU had the last time CWU was the #1 seed, but they many felt were also a snub. That was only a couple of seasons ago and they dropped something like 3 spots in the final rankings from in to out. A shame their administration cut the program after that.
                        Same year ENMU had the same problem 8-2 humbolt finished 8-2 as well, 10 games instead of 11.

Comment

Same year ENMU had the same problem 8-2 humbolt finished 8-2 as well, 10 games instead of 11.

Comment

• Silo scheduling penalty.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Silo scheduling penalty.....

Comment

• True.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...