Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

I imagine the mindset is that they're sure they're going to get their chance and will show all those NFL scouts how great they are and they won't get noticed in D2.
    I look at a guy like Sirmon of UW right now as his collegiate clock is winding down. They've recruited over him THREE times. As a frosh he verbally committed, then Petersen went out and got Yankoff (now at UCLA) out of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Then Petersen took the transfer from Georgia, Jacob Eason. Sirmon then rightfully and wisely entered the transfer portal, but foolishly pulled his name back as UW coaches begged him back as Haener transferred to Fresno State and they were thin on QB depth. Then UW went out and recruited a grad transfer in the Sac State guy for next year.

Sirmon is a big, strong guy with a good arm, he's start at CWU and light it up. He profiles like a D-1 guy, but UW doesn't think much of him. There's no pro scouts who are looking at him. The UW and Sirmon himself have mismanaged his career, now he's sunk. It's like Bledsoe hanging around Wazzu as they took Minshew, Gordon, etc. (granted, Bledsoe was a walk-on). Bledsoe had a full ride at Northern Arizona, dumped it to walk on at WSU and didn't play a snap in 3 years there. These guys make crazy decisions. After year one it was obvious Bledsoe wasn't going to play at WSU -- ever.

Sirmon won't play at UW either -- ever. He'd sure do well at CWU, however, or Idaho, or EWU, or Montana, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

I look at a guy like Sirmon of UW right now as his collegiate clock is winding down. They've recruited over him THREE times. As a frosh he verbally committed, then Petersen went out and got Yankoff (now at UCLA) out of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Then Petersen took the transfer from Georgia, Jacob Eason. Sirmon then rightfully and wisely entered the transfer portal, but foolishly pulled his name back as UW coaches begged him back as Haener transferred to Fresno State and they were thin on QB depth. Then UW went out and recruited a grad transfer in the Sac State guy for next year.

Sirmon is a big, strong guy with a good arm, he's start at CWU and light it up. He profiles like a D-1 guy, but UW doesn't think much of him. There's no pro scouts who are looking at him. The UW and Sirmon himself have mismanaged his career, now he's sunk. It's like Bledsoe hanging around Wazzu as they took Minshew, Gordon, etc. (granted, Bledsoe was a walk-on). Bledsoe had a full ride at Northern Arizona, dumped it to walk on at WSU and didn't play a snap in 3 years there. These guys make crazy decisions. After year one it was obvious Bledsoe wasn't going to play at WSU -- ever.

Sirmon won't play at UW either -- ever. He'd sure do well at CWU, however, or Idaho, or EWU, or Montana, etc.
      I never understood why someone offered a full ride somewhere would rather walk on at a bigger school... If you light it up at the smaller school, you can often transfer to a bigger one. That worked well for Minshew.

Comment

I never understood why someone offered a full ride somewhere would rather walk on at a bigger school... If you light it up at the smaller school, you can often transfer to a bigger one. That worked well for Minshew.
        Yep, Sac State guy grad transferring to UW, Minshew, Vernon Adams (EWU/Oregon), and so on. If you have zero snaps after two years, good bet your school has no future for you. If you have zero snaps after 3 years, they're done with you. Obviously, some exceptions to the rule. WOU's Ty Currie got 4 snaps his first two years (after redshirting) at WOU; started every game his last two years and was player of the year in the GNAC his senior year. Might be different D2 on down, but in FBS/Power 5, if you're not getting snaps by your redshirt soph year, you're usually done.

I'm surprised these guys from big football families -- Sirmon and Bledsoe -- don't get better advice from their dads.

Comment

Last edited by BWF10; 09-16-2020, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I agree and UW is slipping into that pattern of not developing their own and going with the grad transfer. One rumor out there was Haener had outplayed Eason by far in practice and most of the team knew it, but there was immense booster pressure to play Eason.

I'm not big on always taking a transfer, but my example is that a guy like UW's Sirmon doesn't even see it -- they've recruited over him 3 times -- and he could improve his lot in life with a transfer somewhere. It doesn't happen as much at the lower levels.

Also, QB is super tough to evaluate as many guys just don't translate to college. WSU had a 4-star, who got beat out by walk-on Falk. The 4-star ended up going to 3 more schools, eventually being benched at Montana State. It's a tough position to evaluate. So if by chance a school has recruited poorly at QB or guys aren't developing, a transfer can be a good stop gap, JC or 4-year transfer.

But I'm with you, I'm more of a traditionalist in trying to develop the guys who are already on your roster -- especially at the D2 level.

Comment

Confirmation that ASU QB Jack Smith is indeed coming to CWU https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1309533757100130304

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                Confirmation that ASU QB Jack Smith is indeed coming to CWU https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1309533757100130304
                Which ASU are they talking about? It must not be Arizona State because he's not listed in the 2019 or 2018 rosters.

Comment

Which ASU are they talking about? It must not be Arizona State because he's not listed in the 2019 or 2018 rosters.
                  He last played in 2016 and has missed the last 3 years with injuries. He was on the 2020 roster and was expected to compete for backup job. https://thesundevils.com/sports/foot...STDjzbVNincAA4

Comment

He last played in 2016 and has missed the last 3 years with injuries. He was on the 2020 roster and was expected to compete for backup job. https://thesundevils.com/sports/foot...STDjzbVNincAA4
                    Wow, he must have had some serious injuries
                    ??to miss that much time. I'm always rooting for a guy to overcome those things and get his last shot at college football. you only get one time in your life to play the game I hope he gets some snaps this year.

Comment

Wow, he must have had some serious injuries
                      ??to miss that much time. I'm always rooting for a guy to overcome those things and get his last shot at college football. you only get one time in your life to play the game I hope he gets some snaps this year.
                      So it looks like his initial injury he opted not to have surgery and let it heal on its own. So maybe it took a long time.

Comment

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...bwib8B_a5L09dM

Article about Jack Smith coming to CWU and how ASU offensive coordinator Zak Hill got Smith in touch with CWU coaches

Comment

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...bwib8B_a5L09dM

Article about Jack Smith coming to CWU and how ASU offensive coordinator Zak Hill got Smith in touch with CWU coaches
                          Some other news in that article is Loose Canon is going to play defensive back now? I figured he could have been a good QB if he settled down a bit.

Comment

Some other news in that article is Loose Canon is going to play defensive back now? I figured he could have been a good QB if he settled down a bit.
                            That is old news from a little while back. But Moore has better athleticism and was the favorite to remain the starter. We will see if this Jack Smith can challenge him for that job though,

Comment

They posted the CWU 2020 football roster. Doesn't look like it is fully updated yet, as there are several transfers not listed. But there are some that I did not know about: There is a Boise State transfer QB in Zach Matlock from Las Vegas. He walked on to Boise State and did not play in his 2 years there, and has 3 years to go (excluding this year). Also transferring in from OSU is DE Conner Warick, who committed to CWU out of high school before signing with the Beavers.

Coming in from EWU is defensive back Jordan White, who was dismissed from the Eagles for his alleged role in a theft on campus, though he was never charged. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-team-one-cha/

Comment

This was in the Athletics newsletter and I'm not sure what to make of it. It sounds like they recruited a middle schooler? Is this part of the program mentioned and more a community relations thing? I've heard of big schools recruiting middle schoolers before, but not CWU, so I'm not totally sure.

https://wildcatsports.com/news/2020/...p-recruit.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X