X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Humboldt AD

Just in case anyone was wondering about the future of Lumberjack Football:

https://hsujacks.com/news/2020/2/19/...-director.aspx

Well, you guys might get a Jiu-Jitsu team...

Comment

https://www.times-standard.com/2020/...etic-director/

Comment

She tapped danced around the football issue, saying it might not ever come back, certainly not in the next decade. Whatever happened to courage being more important than administrative cowardice? I get it: "Must protect 6-figure job over anything else ..."

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          "Must protect 6-figure job over anything else ..."
          The reason for most decisions made by administrators.

Comment

She tapped danced around the football issue, saying it might not ever come back, certainly not in the next decade. Whatever happened to courage being more important than administrative cowardice? I get it: "Must protect 6-figure job over anything else ..."
            It's a California way of pulling the wool over ones eyes. The problem is we all see thru it. She has the vision of, well I should be proper and not political. Guess she will just tote the line of the administration at Humboldt. I miss Jack Football!

Comment

Sorry, but this hire just screams junior varsity women's golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

It's a California way of pulling the wool over ones eyes. The problem is we all see thru it. She has the vision of, well I should be proper and not political. Guess she will just tote the line of the administration at Humboldt. I miss Jack Football!
                I've read that the President at Humboldt State say's that he wants football to return there. But saying and doing are two different things. I miss Jack football too.

Comment

https://humboldtsports.com/2020/04/1...the-community/

Comment

The sportswriter is right, Humboldt needs football. It takes administrative courage to bring it back. Sadly, there's not a lot of courage out there. The head of the CSU system (who I heard approved of dumping football) and the short-term president who eliminated the program, and the A.D., who approved of it, are long gone, taking their 6-figure salaries/retirements with them, laughing all the way to the bank, and trashing Humboldt State out the door. Time for a new generation.

Comment

The sportswriter is right, Humboldt needs football. It takes administrative courage to bring it back. Sadly, there's not a lot of courage out there. The head of the CSU system (who I heard approved of dumping football) and the short-term president who eliminated the program, and the A.D., who approved of it, are long gone, taking their 6-figure salaries/retirements with them, laughing all the way to the bank, and trashing Humboldt State out the door. Time for a new generation.
                      It also makes you wonder about future of HSU as a whole with all the lockdowns in place and lost revenue at the state and local level too. Will an already underfunded school be able to survive?

Comment

The following is a response to the article on another board. Interested to see what you guys with first-hand knowledge have to say about this quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

The following is a response to the article on another board. Interested to see what you guys with first-hand knowledge have to say about this quote.
                          I come at Humboldt's problems from a different attitude based on experience. It will be the opposite of what was posted.

When I was an undergrad back in the dark ages, the 80's, Oregon was going through a recession. When I started at Western Oregon, enrollment was at a healthy 3K. By the end of my sophomore year it had dipped to 2,000. There was talks of closing the school (founded in 1856) or turning it into a prison. WOU got rid of the president from New York City, a good guy/academic, who didn't really get the school; and hired a guy named Richard Meyer, the president of the largest junior college in America at the time, Pasadena College. They needed an enrollment guy.

First thing Meyers did was shake hands with all the businessmen and women in town. He then hired a guy from the legislature to be an assistant to the president, a guy in Salem, who could work the politics in WOU's (then WOSC) favor. Step 3 was a big PR campaign throughout Oregon, billboards, commercials, etc. Step 4 was tons of visitations to high schools and community colleges. Within two years the enrollment was over 3K; within five years it was over 4K. He had doubled the enrollment in a short amount of time. Even the University of Oregon at the time went to the state and said, "You gotta slow these guys down."

Some other things that were done was improve the grounds/landscaping of the college, make it look nicer; and Meyers also wanted to win in sports, which we did and it was a positive. Yes, WOU is in a better population location than Humboldt State.

However, the state of California is much larger than Oregon and way larger than the California of the 80's and Oregon of the 80's. Let's get serious. There are thousands of high schools and dozens of community colleges in California from which to draw. They can recruit to both of those areas. Monmouth, Oregon, in the 80's was a dry town (not anymore) and some how Meyers made it seem cool!

It's all whose running it. Frankly, give anyone on this message board a 6-figure salary and say go out and increase enrollment and they could probably do a better job than the admins at Humboldt State. Hit the JC down the road from Arcata, hit the Redding JC and all high schools there, College of the Siskiyous, southern Oregon towns, Bay Area JC's and high schools, find the kids looking for something different, and you'll get your enrollment up. Bring back football and that gets you 200 -- 100 players and 100 who want to watch football. Trust me, that's true, I looked at some small colleges that didn't have football, I didn't want to go -- and I ran cross country.

Have a minimalist/downer attitude like the poster who said you can't get it done, you don't get it done. Hire a president like Richard Meyers and you'll get it done.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I got the feeling that the post was not wrong but also leaning more towards not right either.

And; easy with calling the 80s the dark ages, I started college in the early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                              Thanks for the insight. I got the feeling that the post was not wrong but also leaning more towards not right either.

And; easy with calling the 80s the dark ages, I started college in the early 80s.
                              Ha, I started college at the same time!

No evidence of the previous poster saying parents wanting to send their kids to city schools. A lot of parents in the Northwest want to send kids to rural schools, they think it's safer. A lot of holes in that poster's essay. It's all who is running it. If you hire an east coast scientist who doesn't care about Humboldt, the Northern California coast, Aracata/Eureka ... and only cares about her research, you'll die on the vine. That was the previous president. When they hired her and I saw her bio I thought, they're in trouble. If you hire a person who cares about the college, the local community, and growing and improving that college, you will get that. One can pinpoint college failures most often to administrative failure, not U.S. demographics.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X