Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I graduated from San Jose State in '85. So I guess that puts me in the Dark Ages as well. I like Humboldt State (my California bros) and hope they bring football back. But the longer they wait the harder it's going to be. Many colleges have dropped football over the years, but only a few have brought it back.

In case you're wondering why I use an Alderson Broaddus avatar, my Mom went there. I have Battlers blood. :)
    Last edited by crixus; 04-21-2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
      I graduated from San Jose State in '85. So I guess that puts me in the Dark Ages as well. I like Humboldt State (my California bros) and hope they bring football back. But the longer they wait the harder it's going to be. Many colleges have dropped football over the years, but only a few have brought it back.

In case you're wondering why I use an Alderson Broaddus avatar, my Mom went there. I have Battlers blood. :)
      It's tough to bring back football, the community should stand up for it. I find it interesting that those downtown pizza places, restaurants, etc., are willing to sacrifice most of their money in the fall for no football. Pretty amazing. In tiny Monmouth after a football game good luck in finding an open table at a restaurant.

Their admin created this mess and left town, it's amazing. They'd solve part of their enrollment troubles by bringing football back. Sadly, that school has clue zero right now. I feel bad for their fans, alums, and the community.

Comment

More on leadership ... and I think Runnin' Cat can help me here as I believe he lives in Montana.

I used WOU as an example for enrollment, growth, and most importantly, good leadership. I'll use a more recent example.

Montana State University for decades took an unfair 2nd fiddle position to the University of Montana. The UM now has lost more students than any school in the nation -- a national, public rape scandal didn't help things.

Montana State -- in very rural Bozeman -- was going to move fast no matter what UM did, scandal or not. They hired a hot shot president, Dr. Cruzado, who ramped up several things. Friend of mine is a Bozeman guy, Bobcat booster, and he said within weeks on campus she said the football stadium looks like a bad high school venue. She raised $10M in a month or two to start renovations. There's a video of her driving a backhoe in digging the first dirt to start the renovation project. It wasn't all athletics, she just made MSU the place to be. It's always had outstanding academics, but a lot of people didn't know about it. She got people to know about it. A friend of mine's kid in Boise started getting academic recruiting letters when he was a sophomore in high school. He elected to go to a good private school in California, but he was very impressed with MSU's outreach. (He graduated with above a 4.00 GPA at Borah High School.) If he hadn't gone to California, MSU was definitely on his radar, while his parents' alma mater, the University of Idaho, barely lifted a finger and their scholarship offer was peanuts.

Today, MSU sits at around 16K students; Montana around 9K and dropping. MSU is THE place to go to school in Montana (Runnin' Cat can help me here) and a lot of kids in Idaho think it's a good place, too.

Humboldt State admins need to take a freaking field trip to Bozeman and find out how they did it ... and in turn, hire one of their admissions people and have them run the department. This isn't rocket science.

Comment

I can relate to all this. Despite our location at the mid-point of Little Rock and Fort Smith on I-40, the enrollment at Arkansas Tech topped 3,000 for the first time in 1980 (our 71st year). It remained in the 3,000s for over a decade. Dr. Robert C. Brown became our president in 1993 and this quote is from the announcement that he would receive the title of President Emeritus upon his retirement after 21 years. He was our president when we moved from NAIA to D2 in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
            I can relate to all this. Despite our location at the mid-point of Little Rock and Fort Smith on I-40, the enrollment at Arkansas Tech topped 3,000 for the first time in 1980 (our 71st year). It remained in the 3,000s for over a decade. Dr. Robert C. Brown became our president in 1993 and this quote is from the announcement that he would receive the title of President Emeritus upon his retirement after 21 years. He was our president when we moved from NAIA to D2 in 1995.
            So impressive, the Arkansas Tech president nearly tripled the enrollment in two decades. The state has a very prominent SEC school and another D-1 school in Arkansas State, and others (UALR) and D1annabee Central Arkansas, yet Tech has cranked up enrollment, on-campus living, number of degrees, budget, number of majors, etc., because of the work and leadership primarily of one very sharp president.

It's because of examples like these that I don't believe Humboldt State is a lost cause, and many other universities, too. It's all about leadership.

Comment

I'm quickly becoming an Arkansas Tech fan, just saw their awesome school website, a video where they earned an honor of a university of distinction, a part that said where they believe all students matter. (Unlike Humboldt State, where football players don't matter.) But the big part for me was this lead in on the main website: I

iT'S NOT ABOUT WHERE YOU COME FROM

It's about where you end up.

It's about all those things, what a great statement. This is why I don't believe remote schools, or rural schools, or state schools, whatever, are dying because mommy and daddy don't like them, or kids are just going to go to only Arkansas, or UCLA, or University of Oregon, Washington, etc. Other schools can thrive ... look at Arkansas Tech. But you better have good leadership and you better believe in yourselves.

Comment

Thanks tsull, that means so much.

Arkansas is a small state in area and population. The Seattle Urban Area population is more than Arkansas. The state has 21 4-year schools with athletics. Tech is less than 2 hours (117 miles) from UArk, 80 miles from Little Rock, and 45 miles from that D1annabee (love that) all on Interstate travel; AR State is less than 3 hours (176 miles) away. Although ATU's enrollment has leveled off since our new president took over in 2014 we are still the 3rd largest in the state, behind UArk and AR State. The current president is the first female president of a public 4-year school in the state; and shortly after taking office, she traveled the country to meet alumni (including here in Denver).

Now, in your best Ronald Reagan "tear down these walls" voice:

Humboldt State University, Bring Back Football!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                  Thanks tsull, that means so much.

Arkansas is a small state in area and population. The Seattle Urban Area population is more than Arkansas. The state has 21 4-year schools with athletics. Tech is less than 2 hours (117 miles) from UArk, 80 miles from Little Rock, and 45 miles from that D1annabee (love that) all on Interstate travel; AR State is less than 3 hours (176 miles) away. Although ATU's enrollment has leveled off since our new president took over in 2014 we are still the 3rd largest in the state, behind UArk and AR State. The current president is the first female president of a public 4-year school in the state; and shortly after taking office, she traveled the country to meet alumni (including here in Denver).

Now, in your best Ronald Reagan "tear down these walls" voice:

Humboldt State University, Bring Back Football!
                  Love it! So many good examples out there of schools that cranked things up. I used three -- Western Oregon, Montana State, and with your help, Arkansas Tech. It can be done. HSU football can come back, that school can crank up enrollment.

The older I get the more I think college presidents with some vaunted obscure research background is a non-starter. The president has to do a lot of things, at the forefront make sure things are moving in a positive direction.

Another example: Oregon State (20 miles from WOU), back to back phenomenal presidents hired from Oklahoma and Ohio State. Enrollment at OSU is the largest in the state, yes, even more than NIKE U. Huge science buildings are popping up on that campus like weeks -- forestry building and another science building, privately raised funds on most of them. Semi-new engineering building is mind-blowing. While Oregon has focused their enrollment on California students, OSU has become the people's university of Oregon, targeting in-state kids -- like WOU.

Humboldt State needs to quit hiring clowns and find some people who understand enrollment. Arkansas Tech would be a good field trip for HSU admins.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

It's tough to bring back football, the community should stand up for it. I find it interesting that those downtown pizza places, restaurants, etc., are willing to sacrifice most of their money in the fall for no football. Pretty amazing. In tiny Monmouth after a football game good luck in finding an open table at a restaurant.

Their admin created this mess and left town, it's amazing. They'd solve part of their enrollment troubles by bringing football back. Sadly, that school has clue zero right now. I feel bad for their fans, alums, and the community.
                    I agree with you, the Administration at Humboldt State is clueless. And as usual, the people who really care are paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack View Post
                      Just in case anyone was wondering about the future of Lumberjack Football:

https://hsujacks.com/news/2020/2/19/...-director.aspx
                      That is a bigtime hire in the NCAA world. Not so much in the D2 football world. I suspect she won't be there long, anyway. If I'm reading this right, she is absolutely there to pulverize budgets and then jump ship for a bigger job.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X