Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFU Coaching changes

Simon Fraser is shuffling their coaching staff as Thomas Ford has resigned from the program to move to a "Power Five Div.One team." The SFU A.D., Teresa Hanson has promoted Mike Rigell to be the interim Head Coach and Taylor Summers as Associate Head Coach. Previous Offensive Coordinator, James Holan has also left the team to assume Head Coaching duties at Clackamas H.S. in Oregon.

Ford has been named the RB coach and recruiting coordinator at UW! Good to know UW will continue to be recruiting the top in-state kids with Ford's good recruiting ties to WA preps.

Comment

Good move by Ford, but I guess this slows the talk on this board of him staying forever and building the dominant GNAC program. I thought he was a good hire, but until someone actually proves it on the field (and court, an early season win by SFU had a post saying they are now going to be winning big in football and men's hoops). It's time to slow the roll a little on wild predictions. Best of luck to Ford, nice career move.

Comment

Weird, he was just about to get an actual stadium and had gotten a little hype going at SFU. I guess the paycheck at UW will be a lot bigger.

Comment

Correction: Ford is the offensive quality control guy for UW. While he will not exactly be coaching, he will be studying the defenses of upcoming opponents to prepare the team for the games. So think of him as the OC's pregame adviser. Here is more about the SFU football program and their new coach: https://theprovince.com/sports/unive...s-for-the-ncaa

Comment

"I guess the paycheck at UW will be a lot bigger."
            Does an Offensive Quality Control person really get more than a Div. 2 Head Coach?? Pretty sure that SFU was paying over $100,000 for the Football Head Coaching position. I was on the Hiring Committee when Coach Ford was hired.
            GO CLAN!!!

Comment

Well that is how Ford can get his foot in the door at the FBS level and hopefully be coaching in the next couple of years

Comment

Looking at the SFU 2020 roster, and prized offensive tackle Bailey Elder is not on the roster. He played for Coach Ford at Stadium high school and the 3 star recruit had nearly 20 D1 offers including several Power 5 FBS offers, but for some crazy stupid reason he followed Ford to SFU. Ford leaves after his freshman season there, so of course I would guess that Elder is transferring out to join any D1 program who still wants him. He hasn't said anything on his Twitter, yet.

Comment

Ford really did have SFU playing better. Hopefully the new coach can continue the trend, if/when the GNAC can play football again.

Comment

It's a long haul from quality control to a decent coaching position at the college level. I'd rather actually be a coach, outside on the field with players in Vancouver, B.C., then behind a computer crunching numbers in Seattle and not doing any coaching ... then again, to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                      It's a long haul from quality control to a decent coaching position at the college level. I'd rather actually be a coach, outside on the field with players in Vancouver, B.C., then behind a computer crunching numbers in Seattle and not doing any coaching ... then again, to each their own.
                      I couldn't agree with this more. Guys in these off-field roles make no decisions, have no significant impact. They're glorified GA's, maybe they make a little less coffee. You're only coaching if you are directly instructing the players, and making decisions for them that effect the players and the team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X