X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by IronOre View Post
    I suppose the GNAC teams could go back to the NAIA if the NCAA falls apart. Probably work out better for them, really.
    I could see NAIA having 2 divisions: scholarship and non-scholarship as the D3's will not want to give scholarships in anything. I think the NAIA is run better than the NCAA anyway, NCAA just has the name brand and the money.

Leave a comment:

• IronOre
    replied
    I suppose the GNAC teams could go back to the NAIA if the NCAA falls apart. Probably work out better for them, really.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    started a topic New article: NCAA Power 5 could breakaway from NCAA

New article: NCAA Power 5 could breakaway from NCAA

Some interesting thoughts here from writer Dennis Dodd, who interviews a lot of people about Power 5 schools possibly breaking away from the NCAA totally, yes, all sports, not just football:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-from-the-fbs/

That would be the death kneel for the NCAA. I just hope if the NCAA folds up that small colleges have their ducks in a row and are lined up to continue, be it a new division, NAIA or whatever. D-1 athletics has spent their way into oblivion and some schools (see the MAC) are just trying to hang on to their D-1 membership. Many foolish D2 schools went D-1 without the infrastructure or cash to do so, and are dipping into student fees to stay alive -- which I think is wrong. (See Eastern Washington)

So perhaps reality is hitting home a little more. I've been talking about the D1annabees for a long time and now (yet another cliche idiom by me) the chickens have come home to roost. (I remember a few years ago a Fresno State fan here had da-n near every D-2 school going D-1, and he was good with it.)

Can't stand the times we're going through right now, but at least college sports-wise, perhaps at the end of this pandemic a little more reality will settle in. Maybe some schools will just have to eliminate the assistant to the assistant video coordinator; or the quality control coach for backup tight ends.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X