Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep "The Clan" or Change it

There is currently a lot of discussion at Simon Fraser University about whether or not to change the SFU Athletics' team name. "The Clan" certainly has a connotation that is significantly different than what the original intent of the name intended to have. As Simon Fraser was a Scottish explorer who even has the major B.C. river named after him, the name Clan was supposed to mean a close knit Family as in the Great Clans of Scotland. However as most of you are well aware the term Clan with or without the "K" has a totally different connotation particularly in the United States. As more and more black athletes are being recruited to SFU, it is no wonder that the name is a very bothersome and troubling concern. There are a lot of differing opinions about change or no change and if there is to be a change what would should it be? Opinions and Ideas???

It raises some eyebrows of the uninformed, but once they realize it refers to Scottish clans it's no big deal.

Comment

Leave it alone and let people educate themselves. If they can't understand it is for people who are wearing kilts, instead of bedsheets over their head, they probably won't graduate from school anyway.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with the name. As with everything, context is key. If the school chooses to honor it's Scottish heritage, than let them. They make no associations to the "other" use of the word, so I see no problem in keeping it.

As with most things, people will complain. Hopefully they forget about it for a while.

Comment

No offense but I've always thought it is a dumb name anyways. Time to do what is right and change it to the Simon Fraser......Golden Ears! (name of a mountain in the Vancouver area)

Comment

Sign of just how rediculous this has become. Word spelled differently, having a completely different meaning in a different country and some would have them change their name.

Comment

I'm all for changing outdated insensitive nicknames, i.e see ya Redskins, but the Simon Fraser Clan? That's just nonsense. I love the Vancouver Metro area (though I am yet to get out to Burnaby). Sorry we're importing our nonsense to Canada.

Comment

The latest reactions from atop Burnaby Mountain-
                https://varsityletters.ca/simon-fras...8zAIJh0hsKmpeU

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
                  The latest reactions from atop Burnaby Mountain-
                  https://varsityletters.ca/simon-fras...8zAIJh0hsKmpeU
                  97%, huh... Well, what do you think they're going to change to? Hilltoppers maybe?

Comment

There are a lot of names being discussed. Top of the list is probably "Highlanders, which fits the Scottish heritage as well as the location of SFU on top of Burnaby Mountain. Any other serious thoughts from other posters are welcome.

Comment

The McLeods
                      The McUrlich
                      The Campbells
                      The Highlanders

The Gaelic word "clann" means children. I can understand that it may appear to have a kinship to Klan, but i tis well before and far from it. I understand if the athletes are overwhelmingly against it. I think education would do a lot since the word was in use well before the derogatory and differently spelled word.

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
                        There are a lot of names being discussed. Top of the list is probably "Highlanders, which fits the Scottish heritage as well as the location of SFU on top of Burnaby Mountain. Any other serious thoughts from other posters are welcome.
                        There's a local HS that goes by the Highlanders.

Comment

"Fightin' Scots"

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                            "Fightin' Scots"
                            Edinboro goes by that nickname, I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                              "Fightin' Scots"
                              Maroon Chiefs. Well, that isn't their color so, Scarlet Chiefs! :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X