Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Frontier League (NAIA) teams playing in the spring

The College of Idaho, EOU and SOU, have defected from the Frontier League's initial fall 8-game season and will play football in the spring.

This begs the question: Can the GNAC schools get in on this schedule or are people going to be too upset with NAIA vs. D2? No one in the spring is playing for national playoffs anyway, I say line it up.

So you are saying combine our four teams with those three? Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      So you are saying combine our four teams with those three? Interesting.
      Yeah, whatever people want to do, maybe SFU will be ready by the spring. There's no playoffs, with 6 teams you could play every weekend for 6 weeks, if you wanted to round-robin some of it, why not. SOU will complain, they're real big on not playing D2's ... though they'll play Sac State.

All 3 NAIA schools have a solid amount of scholarships, C of I is NAIA fully funded at 24 I heard EOU has more than WOU, and I think SOU has more than WOU. CWU and APU are around 30 or more, I heard. If it doesn't work, it's a one-off spring hybrid season. College sports shouldn't be so rigid. Get some games in this spring.

Comment

I would imagine if there are no playoffs in a scenario like this some kids would not play in the spring to save their eligibility for when they have a playoff opportunity. I know personally I would not play in the spring and lose eligibility for a nothing season but that just might be me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat94 View Post
          I would imagine if there are no playoffs in a scenario like this some kids would not play in the spring to save their eligibility for when they have a playoff opportunity. I know personally I would not play in the spring and lose eligibility for a nothing season but that just might be me.
          It's just you, kids are dying to play right now.

Comment

NCAA should really consider making a spring postseason tournament. Top like 8 or 16 teams (depending on how many conference play in spring), West bracket and East bracket. Keep it simple, no super regions.

But either way, I think playing football is top priority for the athletes.

Comment

NCAA should really consider making a spring postseason tournament. Top like 8 or 16 teams (depending on how many conference play in spring), West bracket and East bracket. Keep it simple, no super regions.

I like the idea, but right now hardly anyone is playing spring football. But 3 schools in the Northwest are, the GNAC should partner up. What's the difference from SOU playing Sac State and WOU, though SOU has a bug up their butt in playing WOU. I don't think the SFU thing gets solved this year. Three GNAC teams, the 3 NAIA teams, come up with short fall season instead of spring football practice and have fun. This year is an outlier, just do it.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

It's just you, kids are dying to play right now.
                I understand kids want to play and for many it will be the first August that they have not played since like 2nd or 3rd grade. I know these conversations are going on right now at schools. Some kids will choose to play if they have a meaningless spring season and others will choose to play in a season that counts and has playoff implications. If there is a spring season in the GNAC with no playoffs attached you will see many top guys sit out and come back in the fall 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat94 View Post

I understand kids want to play and for many it will be the first August that they have not played since like 2nd or 3rd grade. I know these conversations are going on right now at schools. Some kids will choose to play if they have a meaningless spring season and others will choose to play in a season that counts and has playoff implications. If there is a spring season in the GNAC with no playoffs attached you will see many top guys sit out and come back in the fall 2021.
                  I've heard otherwise, that if some area schools are playing and others are not, they will transfer to the schools playing. No guarantee of a 2021 season or any playoffs, people's collegiate athletic careers have a very short clock and they want to play.

That said, I don't think some kind of hybrid/regional spring season should count against one's eligibility. Just call it spring football with uniforms and a clock.

Comment

I like the idea, but right now hardly anyone is playing spring football. But 3 schools in the Northwest are, the GNAC should partner up. What's the difference from SOU playing Sac State and WOU, though SOU has a bug up their butt in playing WOU. I don't think the SFU thing gets solved this year. Three GNAC teams, the 3 NAIA teams, come up with short fall season instead of spring football practice and have fun. This year is an outlier, just do it.
                    I agree with you Tim. There are a lot of people in Medford that are so anti-NCAA D2 it is crazy. They feel they get greater exposure as NAIA and that the academics because of not being NCAA are better. Never mind the fact that the Ivy League is NCAA. The D3 schools from the old Cascade Conference feel the same way about D2.

As for the idea, I'd love it and it could possibly change some of the animosity towards D2 schools in some NAIA schools. It would also be great for all players concerned and could show what a 7 team GNAC would look like. EOU though, I'm not sure they would be ready for D2 in La Grande and being so remote.

Comment

Back when girls HS basketball was beginning in Minnesota, they played in the fall. Then they started volleyball, so some schools played BB in the fall and some in the winter. They actually had one year where they had two tournaments because of that. Then they told everyone that it would just be in the winter. North Dakota had girls basketball in the fall for years- I'm not sure if they have moved it now or not. I told one all stater at summer camp that I would adopt her after her season was over (they actually won the state that year) and she could play for me (we made the regional that year anyway). It would have been interesting to see what the state high school league would have said about that- no doubt they would have said NO!

Comment

I've heard otherwise, that if some area schools are playing and others are not, they will transfer to the schools playing. No guarantee of a 2021 season or any playoffs, people's collegiate athletic careers have a very short clock and they want to play.

That said, I don't think some kind of hybrid/regional spring season should count against one's eligibility. Just call it spring football with uniforms and a clock.
                        I agree that some may transfer if other schools are playing, but there are only so many available spots on a team. The teams that would be playing may only have a spot or two tops with no guarantee of playing. D2 would need to transfer up to D1 and really only some starters could make that jump if a D1 school even wants a one year guy. Do you hear them saying they would transfer to NAIA or D3?

Agree with the hybrid/regional spring and no eligibility used against you. That would actually be a great time to evaluate your younger guys just coming in to the program. Spring ball with uniforms and a clock.... I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I agree with you Tim. There are a lot of people in Medford that are so anti-NCAA D2 it is crazy. They feel they get greater exposure as NAIA and that the academics because of not being NCAA are better. Never mind the fact that the Ivy League is NCAA. The D3 schools from the old Cascade Conference feel the same way about D2.

As for the idea, I'd love it and it could possibly change some of the animosity towards D2 schools in some NAIA schools. It would also be great for all players concerned and could show what a 7 team GNAC would look like. EOU though, I'm not sure they would be ready for D2 in La Grande and being so remote.
                          The NAIA is better academically? Have never heard that. I'm not anti-NAIA, I enjoyed WOU's participation in it. However, SOU and I think EOU, could pull off D2 and we'd all be the better or it. I was also told that if WOU wasn't D2 and was still NAIA, they probably don't get the nursing school built on campus and the growing pre-med program doesn't happen either. Not me talking, others have told me this. I can be corrected here, but one of the reasons the private schools went NCAA D3 was to enhance their academic reputations. Let's face it, Whitman College is an elite school academically; if they were still NAIA I'm not sure they'd be viewed that way. That's not necessarily right, I'm just talking about perception.

SOU is whack ... have fun with those 18-hour (one-way) bus trips to Montana.

Comment

The NAIA is better academically? Have never heard that. I'm not anti-NAIA, I enjoyed WOU's participation in it. However, SOU and I think EOU, could pull off D2 and we'd all be the better or it. I was also told that if WOU wasn't D2 and was still NAIA, they probably don't get the nursing school built on campus and the growing pre-med program doesn't happen either. Not me talking, others have told me this. I can be corrected here, but one of the reasons the private schools went NCAA D3 was to enhance their academic reputations. Let's face it, Whitman College is an elite school academically; if they were still NAIA I'm not sure they'd be viewed that way. That's not necessarily right, I'm just talking about perception.

SOU is whack ... have fun with those 18-hour (one-way) bus trips to Montana.
                            I know, but that's what I've heard people say in Medford. I know it isn't true, but what some people feel. CWU I know did get its new science building while NAIA as well as the Black Hall 'remodel'. It depends more on funding, not NAIA vs NCAA. I know Whitman College was actually viewed as great academically at least in the Columbia Basin for decades and rightfully so.

Funny story from when I went to Japan, someone from New York told me he actually knew where Walla Walla is and not the Tri-Cities and said maybe it would be easier if I said I was from there. I then informed him the Tri-Cities was about 10 times the size of Walla Walla and it shocked him when I said I'd flown out of PSC and not Walla Walla. People around the nation know of Walla Walla thanks to Johnny Carson and think it is the largest city in SE Washington.

Comment

My spring proposal -- because it will be like pulling teeth to get the NAIA schools to play the D2's: Have the D2 vs. the NAIA's only once, that's three games for each d2 and NAIA school. I'm guessing C of I will figure out D2 isn't the big, bad wolf. EOU might struggle, they might not, and if they do, they won't complain. SOU will cry 24/7.

The D2's can then play each other twice -- four more games (guessing SFU won't be ready by the spring, border is still closed). That's a 7-game spring. The NAIA and NCAA have yet to sanction spring football games, if they don't, see if they can play it. I'm sure SOU will put up some petition to block it, but I would hope these schools can get together. I'd guess if C of I had success, they'd contemplate a d2 move. Their rival is D2 and 6 miles away.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X