Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    My spring proposal -- because it will be like pulling teeth to get the NAIA schools to play the D2's: Have the D2 vs. the NAIA's only once, that's three games for each d2 and NAIA school. I'm guessing C of I will figure out D2 isn't the big, bad wolf. EOU might struggle, they might not, and if they do, they won't complain. SOU will cry 24/7.

The D2's can then play each other twice -- four more games (guessing SFU won't be ready by the spring, border is still closed). That's a 7-game spring. The NAIA and NCAA have yet to sanction spring football games, if they don't, see if they can play it. I'm sure SOU will put up some petition to block it, but I would hope these schools can get together. I'd guess if C of I had success, they'd contemplate a d2 move. Their rival is D2 and 6 miles away.
    I like this plan. It's a wasted season anyway, might as well do some recruiting.

Comment

From what I understand, D2 teams can play up to 5 games in fall or spring (50% of maximum 10 games allowed), and players would not lose a year of eligibility! If that is indeed the case, I think a little mini-season with GNAC and NAIA teams would be pretty fun. 3 games vs. GNAC teams and 2 games vs. NAIA. Limiting to just 5 games also a good idea so less risk of serious injuries that would impact a full fall season to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
        From what I understand, D2 teams can play up to 5 games in fall or spring (50% of maximum 10 games allowed), and players would not lose a year of eligibility! If that is indeed the case, I think a little mini-season with GNAC and NAIA teams would be pretty fun. 3 games vs. GNAC teams and 2 games vs. NAIA. Limiting to just 5 games also a good idea so less risk of serious injuries that would impact a full fall season to follow.
        I like this idea the best as it preserves eligibility for everybody.

Comment

This would be great. Could be a way to woe the NAIA's into the D-2 fold. You know SOU, EOU, and College of Idaho would have much easier travel trips (with the exception of Alaska).

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
            You know SOU, EOU, and College of Idaho would have much easier travel trips (with the exception of Alaska).
            Alaska teams don't have football

Comment

I don't think he was talking just about football, as most sports would have to play the Alaska schools. A move to D2 and the GNAC would mean that those teams would need to travel to Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, BC, and Alaska for conference games. BC I don't see as much of a problem as SFU was NAIA for years.

Comment

No but they have other sports which would require those teams to travel to Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

No but they have other sports which would require those teams to travel to Alaska.
                  Fortunately it is one trip a season. The conference schedules both at the same time so that really only the Alaska schools have to deal with multiple trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Fortunately it is one trip a season. The conference schedules both at the same time so that really only the Alaska schools have to deal with multiple trips.
                    That is good to know! That is a smart way to do it. I wonder what the Alaskan budgets are compared to the rest of the conference. I am assuming they have to fly to every contest, correct? I don't know if driving to the PNW is even capable.

Comment

It would be a pretty long drive around the coast range of B.C. so yes the Alaskan teams fly for every away trip. Not having football probably frees up a ton of money

Comment

It would be a pretty long drive around the coast range of B.C. so yes the Alaskan teams fly for every away trip. Not having football probably frees up a ton of money
                        My grandpa used to drive to Alaska to go fishing. I remember there is also a ferry that needs to be taken too from him talking about those trips. Even a drive from SFU to Alaska Fairbanks per google maps takes 38 hours and to Anchorage is 40 hours. That is for the closest school!

Comment

For opponents the major cost for them is the Alaska trip for women's volleyball and men's and women's basketball. Three trips a year, I'm not sure of the expenses, but it's probably a lot.

I'm also thinking those 18-hour one-way bus trips from Ashland, Oregon, to Montana aren't that cheap or very much fun.

Comment

The Frontier announced they'll do football in the spring with all 8 teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X