Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Fraser to Retire Clan Name

https://athletics.sfu.ca/sports/2020...me-change.aspx

More coverage to follow as it is published. This is good news regardless of how you feel about the Scottish origins. This is the right move.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2020-1.5683953

Comment

I get it, but it annoys me that Scottish clans existed centuries before the KKK came along and appropriated the name.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
        I get it, but it annoys me that Scottish clans existed centuries before the KKK came along and appropriated the name.
        As a history teacher, I would appreciate people being educated enough to know the difference between a C and a K but I suppose in today's knee jerk world of screaming bloody murder that is too much to ask. Reminds me of when people filled their pants over the OK sign, even though it is used by people of all races.

Comment

Good move, I get the historical aspect, but 99.9% of people are sadly oblivious to history. For years I thought it was insane to be called the Clan, and I knew some of the history behind it. One shouldn't have to explain their mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
            Good move, I get the historical aspect, but 99.9% of people are sadly oblivious to history. For years I thought it was insane to be called the Clan, and I knew some of the history behind it. One shouldn't have to explain their mascot.
            So make decisions and legislate based upon the lowest common denominator?

I get the change. I think it is a dangerous move to make decisions as your post describes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X