Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Oregon

Per wikipedia they have approx. 6,000 enrollment. Why are they playing NAIA and not D-2? Just curious as I know nothing about the college.

They've been enjoying plenty of success in an excellent conference and see no reason to leave that for a dying football conference like the GNAC. Same reason as all those Montana programs.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
      Per wikipedia they have approx. 6,000 enrollment. Why are they playing NAIA and not D-2? Just curious as I know nothing about the college.
      While they've enjoyed success, a LaGrande friend of mine told me the Frontier Conference would love to dump them. Apparently they don't like those 18-hour (one-way) bus trips. Not sure if they'd want to dump EOU or not. The problem if you study a map, the only entry ways into Montana are through Spokane or Lewiston, Idaho, or in south Idaho. The one near Lewiston is not a freeway, but a winding highway. Spokane is a heckuva long ways from EOU; and if SOU wants to go the south Idaho route, that's not easy either.

I think they do like their success and perhaps their NAIA hoops rivalry with Oregon Tech, though NNU and College of Idaho (NAIA) seem to work out their rivalry quite well and sell out games, and C of I often wins. SOU is also a bit scared, I think. Scared of perhaps losing. SOU is 4 hours from WOU and when Humboldt was playing, about 3 to 4 hours for that trip. Ellensburg is an 8-hour trip; 9 hours to Simon Fraser; and 10 hours to Azusa Pacific.

Let's review their current set up:
      Ashland to Helena, Montana (Carroll) -- 14 hours
      Ashland to Havre (Northern Montana) -- 17 1/2 hours
      Ashland to Butte (Montana Tech) -- 14 1/2
      Ashland to Billings (Rocky Mountain) -- 18
      Ashland to La Grande, Oregon (EOU) -- 8 1/2
      Ashland to Caldwell, Idaho (C of I) -- 7 1/2

I'd kick those guys out of the Frontier League, too, if I was a Montana football-playing school. Only two trips are shorter than 14 hours (one way), while the GNAC has only one double-figure hour trip to Azusa and that's a freaking freeway the whole way down, an easy drive, I've done it twice ... In and Out Burgers also nearby. :>)

In Cascade Conference (non-football) play, SOU gets to play the likes of Corban, Warner Pacific, Northwest College -- bible schools with small enrollments -- and pound the crap out of them in other sports and brag about it. I'm not impressed. SOU is nuts, they should join the GNAC ... so should EOU and C of I.

Comment

Comment

Hey, I remember that dude, he was awesome. Obviously SOU has pencilled out the financials, but I can't see selling themselves to Montana when they're comfortable I-5 drives to most GNAC schools, and traditional opponents WOU, CWU, and SFU. Whose to say they wouldn't win in D2? EOU has also built some great facilities of late and has a solid number of scholarships and no out-of-state tuition of Washington and Idaho residents. I think they could do decently in D2, too.

Comment

I'm more curious how they are effected by the fire that destroyed Phoenix and Talent which are right next to Ashland. That I'm sure could hurt them a lot financially too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
              I'm more curious how they are effected by the fire that destroyed Phoenix and Talent which are right next to Ashland. That I'm sure could hurt them a lot financially too.
              I saw a video of it today, fire started in Talent and went through Phoenix and all the way to the Medford border. Just missed Ashland.

So tragic, just awful. Feel so bad for the people there, complete neighborhoods wiped out.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

I saw a video of it today, fire started in Talent and went through Phoenix and all the way to the Medford border. Just missed Ashland.

So tragic, just awful. Feel so bad for the people there, complete neighborhoods wiped out.
                I know, Malden Washington up near Spokane was wiped out too. I'm just glad the smoke is gone, but thankful that for Malden the Spokane hotels put up the people that lost their homes. Much better than a gymnasium for sure.

I'm glad that they were able to stop the fire at Medford and Ashland as those are two larger population areas.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X