Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrell Williams signs with Oakland, becomes very rich

Former WOU receiver Tyrell Williams just signed with Oakland (eventually Las Vegas) Raiders and got a lot of money to do so:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300..._dsvBpEag_dOUs

Re: Tyrell Williams signs with Oakland, becomes very rich

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Former WOU receiver Tyrell Williams just signed with Oakland (eventually Las Vegas) Raiders and got a lot of money to do so:

Always good to see a D2 player being successful in the NFL.

Comment

I just hope he doesn't learn bad habits from Antonio Brown there. Good for him though and I'm glad he's still in the AFC West after playing for the Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
        I just hope he doesn't learn bad habits from Antonio Brown there. Good for him though and I'm glad he's still in the AFC West after playing for the Chargers.
        Ugh, I forgot Antonio Brown was going there, too. Luckily Tyrell is one of the most humble, grounded people out there -- still drives his old college car (he probably has another one) and runs a free football camp for kids at WOU.

Tyrell -- good guy.

Antonio -- bad guy.

Comment

Perhaps a nice red field turf in the works for WOU?

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
            Perhaps a nice red field turf in the works for WOU?
            Ugh, I hope not, that thing is hideous and hurts my eyes.

I'd settle for 10 more football scholarships, however.

Comment

Ugh, I hope not, that thing is hideous and hurts my eyes.

I'd settle for 10 more football scholarships, however.
              black field turf like West Salem? :smile-big:

It is actually very, very close by.

Comment

Green is good, if they have to do a color, gray has been part of the school colors for awhile. Black is actually not a school color until they foolishly added it in the 90's. They said it was more "dynamic" and ditched the gray. Then gray came back into popularity so they brought it back. Maddening.

I'll stick with green turf ... I'd like to see scholarships first if anyone is forking out dough. Williams can do what he wants with his money, he's given a lot to his alma mater.

Comment

Green is good, if they have to do a color, gray has been part of the school colors for awhile. Black is actually not a school color until they foolishly added it in the 90's. They said it was more "dynamic" and ditched the gray. Then gray came back into popularity so they brought it back. Maddening.

I'll stick with green turf ... I'd like to see scholarships first if anyone is forking out dough. Williams can do what he wants with his money, he's given a lot to his alma mater.
                  So... red, black, and grey endzones it is! I agree, green field turf looks much better. That black though does look a lot better than EWU or BSU's turf though.

Comment

So... red, black, and grey endzones it is! I agree, green field turf looks much better. That black though does look a lot better than EWU or BSU's turf though.
                    I hope eventually they get field turf, though I love natural grass. It's just too brutal in late Oct./November, field gets muddy. I'd opt out of colors, but yeah, black is better than red or BSU's hideous blue.

I'm just hoping some day to get to 20 scholarships. I heard a lot of alums (20 years after they went D2) won't donate because they don't play Linfield and Willamette anymore. I heard even after being educated that even if WOU was D3, they STILL wouldn't play them, the former football players are all upset about this D2 stuff and won't open the wallets. That ship sailed so long ago, I'm stunned this is what we're hearing. When the Northwest Conference went D3, their goal was to quit playing public schools. That's their perogitive. But it's up to WOU to adjust and they did by going D2 and not having to play in freaking Havre, Montana.

Long story short, get to 20 scholarships, then get the field turf, IMO. Gotta find donors who don't think it's 1975 anymore.

Comment

I hope eventually they get field turf, though I love natural grass. It's just too brutal in late Oct./November, field gets muddy. I'd opt out of colors, but yeah, black is better than red or BSU's hideous blue.

I'm just hoping some day to get to 20 scholarships. I heard a lot of alums (20 years after they went D2) won't donate because they don't play Linfield and Willamette anymore. I heard even after being educated that even if WOU was D3, they STILL wouldn't play them, the former football players are all upset about this D2 stuff and won't open the wallets. That ship sailed so long ago, I'm stunned this is what we're hearing. When the Northwest Conference went D3, their goal was to quit playing public schools. That's their perogitive. But it's up to WOU to adjust and they did by going D2 and not having to play in freaking Havre, Montana.

Long story short, get to 20 scholarships, then get the field turf, IMO. Gotta find donors who don't think it's 1975 anymore.
                      I know, I was at CWU when all that went down and we kept hearing how it was unfair that WWU and CWU had state dollars for their programs. They are the ones that pushed CWU, WWU, and WOU to D2 and not the other way around. I don't see why none of the blame goes to Willamette and Linfield in not playing a "money game" with WOU, but don't blame Linfield at all with how good their program is. That ship sailed a long, long time ago and I'd hope someone like perhaps Boss who would be willing to help WOU as he came through during the D2 years.
                      Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 03-17-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I know, I was at CWU when all that went down and we kept hearing how it was unfair that WWU and CWU had state dollars for their programs. They are the ones that pushed CWU, WWU, and WOU to D2 and not the other way around. I don't see why none of the blame goes to Willamette and Linfield in not playing a "money game" with WOU, but don't blame Linfield at all with how good their program is. That ship sailed a long, long time ago and I'd hope someone like perhaps Boss who would be willing to help WOU as he came through during the D2 years.
                        The NWC moved first and broke up the CFA. Linfield and PLU with Frosty were hanging with and beating state schools. I remember watching a game where I think it was Lewis & Clark and they got pummeled by WOU, and their then-coach was upset at the tuition advantages WOU had. I also remember CWU crushing Whitworth and similar statements were coming out of Spokane and the Whitworth coaches. There was a movement to get away from state schools. I don't completely blame them as if you look at it today, only Linfield could hang with the D2 schools because they have a great football culture. Even then, coming up with 20-30 private school scholarships would be tough. (Yes, I know APU does it.)

But once things broke up, people need to realize that they aren't going back. When WOU first moved up, they refused to raise money for scholarships, and football was playing with 3 scholarshps and men's hoops 2, and so forth. I questioned why they made the move when they knew they needed scholarships and advocated going back to NAIA, even wrote a guest column about it. Eventually WOU figured it out, still behind the 8-ball in football scholarships, but at least now understand that 2/3 scholarships equals 0 or 1 win a year. What's puzzling to me are alums who have some fantasy that they're going to be playing Willamette and Linfield again. It's not happening ... ever. So accept that and help improve the program.

Comment

The NWC moved first and broke up the CFA. Linfield and PLU with Frosty were hanging with and beating state schools. I remember watching a game where I think it was Lewis & Clark and they got pummeled by WOU, and their then-coach was upset at the tuition advantages WOU had. I also remember CWU crushing Whitworth and similar statements were coming out of Spokane and the Whitworth coaches. There was a movement to get away from state schools. I don't completely blame them as if you look at it today, only Linfield could hang with the D2 schools because they have a great football culture. Even then, coming up with 20-30 private school scholarships would be tough. (Yes, I know APU does it.)

But once things broke up, people need to realize that they aren't going back. When WOU first moved up, they refused to raise money for scholarships, and football was playing with 3 scholarshps and men's hoops 2, and so forth. I questioned why they made the move when they knew they needed scholarships and advocated going back to NAIA, even wrote a guest column about it. Eventually WOU figured it out, still behind the 8-ball in football scholarships, but at least now understand that 2/3 scholarships equals 0 or 1 win a year. What's puzzling to me are alums who have some fantasy that they're going to be playing Willamette and Linfield again. It's not happening ... ever. So accept that and help improve the program.
                          I think another problem, with both OSU and UofO close by that's where donations go. I think even Portland State has similar problems in the Big Sky, "they aren't Pac-12 and don't matter" despite players coming from the Big Sky and going on to careers in the NFL too. I hate to say it, but even if WOU were to win the title no one would care having grown up in the state.

Oh, I'm not sure you saw but ACU made the tourney in their 2nd season where they can qualify. That's after 3 winning seasons in the last 30 years, so if they can win again next season that's what support can do.

Comment

I think another problem, with both OSU and UofO close by that's where donations go. I think even Portland State has similar problems in the Big Sky, "they aren't Pac-12 and don't matter" despite players coming from the Big Sky and going on to careers in the NFL too. I hate to say it, but even if WOU were to win the title no one would care having grown up in the state.

Oh, I'm not sure you saw but ACU made the tourney in their 2nd season where they can qualify. That's after 3 winning seasons in the last 30 years, so if they can win again next season that's what support can do.
                            I would agree with this, but WOU needs to find the people who do care, not the UO and OSU fans. Find the former players -- whom I don't think are donating to Pac-12 teams -- and get them invested. The two potential heavy hitters are Williams and Boss, gauge their interests. Heck, I believe Boss is already heavily involved; and I know Williams is quite active with the football camp. I see Boss at a lot of functions. The rest of the state might not care, but WOU needs to find the alums/former players, who indeed care or should care. This goes for all small colleges, most people follow the big schools, but there are niches of fans they need to tap into. I'll give WOU credit that in the last 10 years they've greatly improved in this. The crowds are much bigger today than yesterday, and the tailgating is excellent. There are some fans, who don't care about UO and OSU, and some who do, that goes for every small college. Find and keep your loyal fans.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X