Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWU Offers Sophomore from...Alabama?

Didn't see this coming. But CWU Football just offered Deondre Feagins, a sophomore at Bob Jones HS in Huntsville, Alabama. He didn't even play this season as he was recovering from a foot injury. He has never played varsity football yet. Look up the name on Google and some interesting stuff comes up, including podcast interviews with his dad, who is apparently a trainer/hip-hop singer/publicist, etc. I can't really know too much more on this kid until I see some game film next year.

https://twitter.com/DeondreFeagins

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Didn't see this coming. But CWU Football just offered Deondre Feagins, a sophomore at Bob Jones HS in Huntsville, Alabama. He didn't even play this season as he was recovering from a foot injury. He has never played varsity football yet. Look up the name on Google and some interesting stuff comes up, including podcast interviews with his dad, who is apparently a trainer/hip-hop singer/publicist, etc. I can't really know too much more on this kid until I see some game film next year.

https://twitter.com/DeondreFeagins
    Waste of time, money, and energy. Offer the up and coming sophomore at Richland, Washington, high school, you'll get him to Ellensburg and more production out of him. Coaches out-think themselves.

Comment

I just don't want to see a LaVar Ball wannabe in Ellensburg. From what I googled, reminds me of daddy LaVar promoting his sons Lonzo and LeMelo

Comment

Totally agree and I wouldn't waste any time on that kid.

Different scenario but I remember many years ago when Blaine Bennett was the head coach of Western Oregon, and they had a post game function with coaches and fans. I went to it and one of his assistants told me that they needed to quit recruiting Oregon and get into the Tri-Cities because that's where the players were. Western probably had about seven scholarships at the time and they want to spend it on guys from the Tri-Cities and out-of-state money? I thought the coach was nuts ... and he was, he's no longer there.

They took a running back from Prosser and apparently he smoked so much weed he never got to campus. Great find.

Western Oregon has had two NFL guys in the last decade or more they are from Philomath, Oregon, and Turner, Oregon. The next best players in the last 20 years are from Scappoose, Oregon, and Veneta, Oregon; also two great defensive linemen were from North Salem High School and Burns, Oregon.. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          Totally agree and I wouldn't waste any time on that kid.

Different scenario but I remember many years ago when Blaine Bennett was the head coach of Western Oregon, and they had a post game function with coaches and fans. I went to it and one of his assistants told me that they needed to quit recruiting Oregon and get into the Tri-Cities because that's where the players were. Western probably had about seven scholarships at the time and they want to spend it on guys from the Tri-Cities and out-of-state money? I thought the coach was nuts ... and he was, he's no longer there.

They took a running back from Prosser and apparently he smoked so much weed he never got to campus. Great find.

Western Oregon has had two NFL guys in the last decade or more they are from Philomath, Oregon, and Turner, Oregon. The next best players in the last 20 years are from Scappoose, Oregon, and Veneta, Oregon; also two great defensive linemen were from North Salem High School and Burns, Oregon.. I'm seeing a pattern here.
          While the Tri-Cities does get some good players, I think more of the success is likely due to coaches like at Richland and those people should see how few Tri-Cities players are at CWU, EWU, WSU, and UW. Now though, does recruiting Tri-Cities also include recruiting Hermiston as it is a WIAA school in the Mid-Columbia Conference? If so, Hermiston did win an Oregon 5A title its last year in Oregon and could be an untapped area in state.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

While the Tri-Cities does get some good players, I think more of the success is likely due to coaches like at Richland and those people should see how few Tri-Cities players are at CWU, EWU, WSU, and UW. Now though, does recruiting Tri-Cities also include recruiting Hermiston as it is a WIAA school in the Mid-Columbia Conference? If so, Hermiston did win an Oregon 5A title its last year in Oregon and could be an untapped area in state.
            Hermiston is about the same population as Ellensburg. It is hard to imagine it being some untapped recruiting hot bed.

The "Dry ****ties" population is just around 250M. CWU and EWU have five or fewer TC kids on their rosters. I didn't check UW or WSU. There just is not a significant amount of talent there because it is a smaller population area. Compare it to the Spokane metro area (580M) and the greater Puget Sound area (4.3MM) and you can see why those areas produce a lot more football talent.

Adding in Hermiston is like pissing in the ocean to try and reduce the salinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Hermiston is about the same population as Ellensburg. It is hard to imagine it being some untapped recruiting hot bed.

The "Dry ****ties" population is just around 250M. CWU and EWU have five or fewer TC kids on their rosters. I didn't check UW or WSU. There just is not a significant amount of talent there because it is a smaller population area. Compare it to the Spokane metro area (580M) and the greater Puget Sound area (4.3MM) and you can see why those areas produce a lot more football talent.

Adding in Hermiston is like pissing in the ocean to try and reduce the salinity.
              Well, Hermiston did have a MLB player and Brian Habib was from Ellensburg and made the NFL. I don't see them with a lot of D1 talent, but possibly some D2 talent. I remember though that WSU put a linebacker into the NFL from an 8-man football team into the NFL.

I don't think it is a hotbed, but it seems like many places don't even look at it all for a gem in the rough type player. It feels to me like they would rather go to a small town on the I-5 corridor for a player than a medium sized town on the other side of state. I bet the same would be true of the Bend/Redmond kids for the colleges in Oregon just like Yakima/Tri-Cities/Spokane for the Washington schools.

I only brought up Hermiston to Tim though for those people as it is only about 30 minutes out of the Tri-Cities despite not being officially in the metro area like Prosser officially is. Speaking of Prosser, the Dallas Offensive Coordinator is from there.

Comment

Well, Hermiston did have a MLB player and Brian Habib was from Ellensburg and made the NFL. I don't see them with a lot of D1 talent, but possibly some D2 talent. I remember though that WSU put a linebacker into the NFL from an 8-man football team into the NFL.

I don't think it is a hotbed, but it seems like many places don't even look at it all for a gem in the rough type player. It feels to me like they would rather go to a small town on the I-5 corridor for a player than a medium sized town on the other side of state. I bet the same would be true of the Bend/Redmond kids for the colleges in Oregon just like Yakima/Tri-Cities/Spokane for the Washington schools.

I only brought up Hermiston to Tim though for those people as it is only about 30 minutes out of the Tri-Cities despite not being officially in the metro area like Prosser officially is. Speaking of Prosser, the Dallas Offensive Coordinator is from there.
                It is simple economics. For every Kellen Moore, there are going to be ten kids in the PS. For Every Habib, there are going to be tend kids from the PS. It is "cheaper" to highlight your recruiting in the larger population areas. You are not going to heavily spend in a smaller on a consistent basis. Yes, those smaller areas will have exceptions. But how many D1 talents are coming up in the Kittitas Valley? There has been more D1 talent from one family in the Snoqualmie Valley than has been produced in Ellensburg.

Population is the key. Casey Fitzsimmons played for six years in the NFL. He is from Chester, MT and played 8 man football. Would you think it wise to start recruiting Chester?

Comment

Actually, Hermiston produced one of WOU's best-ever DB's a few years ago, name escapes me, unfortunately, but I remember he was from Hermiston and darn good. Always good for D2's to look in their state first and go outward. As for the Tri-Cities all the way to Yakima, some pretty good players in that area. Of course CWU should look in those places. WOU should not be wasting out of state scholarships. This is D2, not Power 5, most of the recruits are similar 1-star or no-star, really good prep players, not Pac-12 guys. WOU can spend in-state money on the Willamette Valley, Eugene, Roseburg, southern Oregon, Bend/Redmond, eastern Oregon, where they've had tons of great players throughout the years ... heck, the head coach was a great player and he's from Vale.

I see CWU has gone down to Oregon now and then, getting a QB from Gresham, who played zero downs. They're also better served recruiting Washington, which is the 2nd-best prep football state on the west coast, better than Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, etc. I don't have a problem with WOU dipping into Cali, QB Curry (last year's GNAC player of the year) was from a small northern Cali town; the current excellent RB is from the east Bay Area. I'd rather have recruits from there than striking out in the Tri-Cities. No reason to out-think things.

Comment

It is simple economics. For every Kellen Moore, there are going to be ten kids in the PS. For Every Habib, there are going to be tend kids from the PS. It is "cheaper" to highlight your recruiting in the larger population areas. You are not going to heavily spend in a smaller on a consistent basis. Yes, those smaller areas will have exceptions. But how many D1 talents are coming up in the Kittitas Valley? There has been more D1 talent from one family in the Snoqualmie Valley than has been produced in Ellensburg.

Population is the key. Casey Fitzsimmons played for six years in the NFL. He is from Chester, MT and played 8 man football. Would you think it wise to start recruiting Chester?
                    I don't know if you realize this, but Hermiston High also has about 1600 students. That would put them as a 6A (highest classification in Oregon) which is why they moved to Washington for atheletics as they were looking at 0 home games to join the Portland Metro conference and a total of 6+ hours drive time for each game with a 3+ hour drive each way. You are acting like they are size of Ellensburg High 2A school and that is way off for this school, when in reality they are larger than the 3 High Schools in Kennewick.

There was also a 4* basketball recruit out of Kittitas recently, but he left Gonzaga for personal reasons.
                    Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 11-29-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                      Actually, Hermiston produced one of WOU's best-ever DB's a few years ago, name escapes me, unfortunately, but I remember he was from Hermiston and darn good. Always good for D2's to look in their state first and go outward. As for the Tri-Cities all the way to Yakima, some pretty good players in that area. Of course CWU should look in those places. WOU should not be wasting out of state scholarships. This is D2, not Power 5, most of the recruits are similar 1-star or no-star, really good prep players, not Pac-12 guys. WOU can spend in-state money on the Willamette Valley, Eugene, Roseburg, southern Oregon, Bend/Redmond, eastern Oregon, where they've had tons of great players throughout the years ... heck, the head coach was a great player and he's from Vale.

I see CWU has gone down to Oregon now and then, getting a QB from Gresham, who played zero downs. They're also better served recruiting Washington, which is the 2nd-best prep football state on the west coast, better than Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, etc. I don't have a problem with WOU dipping into Cali, QB Curry (last year's GNAC player of the year) was from a small northern Cali town; the current excellent RB is from the east Bay Area. I'd rather have recruits from there than striking out in the Tri-Cities. No reason to out-think things.
                      Exactly Tim! It makes no sense to center around recruiting out of state medium sized metro area for the bulk of your players. Maybe 1 every few years, but not as a pipeline. If recruiting budget is a reason not to look at Eastern Oregon, looking at Eastern Washington seems much worse for WOU. This is even more true as most D2 players don't get a full ride and would have to pay a lot for out of state tuition.

That is why I brought up Hermiston for you to appease them as it is in the same league now as the Tri-Cities.

Did you know Carny Lansfrord of the A's during the Bash Brothers era was from Baker (not calling it Baker City as it wasn't that at the time)? Also Brian Urlacher formerly of the Bears was from the Tri-Cities and one of the two best CWU QB's was too before he moved to Montana.
                      Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 11-29-2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I don't know if you realize this, but Hermiston High also has about 1600 students. That would put them as a 6A (highest classification in Oregon) which is why they moved to Washington for atheletics as they were looking at 0 home games to join the Portland Metro conference and a total of 6+ hours drive time for each game with a 3+ hour drive each way. You are acting like they are size of Ellensburg High 2A school and that is way off for this school, when in reality they are larger than the 3 High Schools in Kennewick.

There was also a 4* basketball recruit out of Kittitas recently, but he left Gonzaga for personal reasons.
                        Quit being dense. Sure, there are one offs in several small communities. Does that mean you change your strategy on recruiting. Quit trying to change the economic model.

Dont use a small mind.

Comment

Quit being dense. Sure, there are one offs in several small communities. Does that mean you change your strategy on recruiting. Quit trying to change the economic model.

Dont use a small mind.
                          I'm just showing you it isn't the regular sized school for that size of a community. That is the size of the large schools in Oregon and Washington and more than for example Bellevue High which gets a lot of recruits. Hermiston's High School has always for some reason been around 10% the size of the community and has been over 1k students since the 90's. It is nothing like the 2A schools in Washington and has been a powerhouse in wrestling in Oregon since the 80's. As one of the larger high schools in Oregon, why should WOU not look at kids there with talent?

When I moved to Yakima from there in HS I'll admit it was abysmal at football having 1 win in 2 years, but my graduating class would have been larger there than it was in Yakima. They had one good year, but the coach got fired because he didn't play the 'right kids' to the boosters in a good ole boys style of way which hurt the football. That is why the football team was so bad, they played kids at that time who's parents had the most money and not the kids with the most talent.
                          Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 11-29-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

One thing Western Oregon has really done well is found some shining stars from the small schools as I pointed out in this thread earlier. Their best returning player, in my opinion, is safety Curtis Anderson from Klamath Falls. They had an All-American safety and now an assistant coach of Western Oregon in Bryce Peila, who was from Crater High School. Both truly outstanding players and better than a lot of the big city kids they've gotten for that position group.

Of course you got to go to the population areas, I think Central Washington has found a great niche in Tacoma. But when you can find players like Tyrell Williams from Turner, Oregon; Curtis Anderson from Klamath Falls; Kevin Boss from Philomath, and on and on and on, I think it shows that at least for WOU that you can find some great Division 2 players at the small school levels. Yes, the Wolves still need to dip into Portland, Seattle now and then, Northern California. I seriously wouldn't waste my time in eastern Washington or other far-flung places when you can get a great player in a small town outside of Eugene, like they had with a recent linebacker.
                            Last edited by tsull; 11-30-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I don't know if you realize this, but there are at least 50 HS with 1600 plus enrollments within an hour drive of SEA. Why is Hermiston more special than any of those close clustered places?

I never said they should overlook Hermiston. But why should you spend money and time on that place when you can get more in an "easier" place?

It isn't just Hermiston; there is a better, bigger market out there. Stop being so dense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X