Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More small school props, I might be biased her having gone to a school with 800 students, but still I'm finding it interesting that the best CWU and WOU players in the last decade have come from small towns. I've already twice mentioned in this thread WOU players. Let's look at CWU:

Mike Reilly -- Kalispell, Montana (lived in Tri-Cities before moving)

Adam Bighill -- Montesano, Washington -- I don't know where that is and I pride myself on my Northwest geography knowledge.

Kevin Haynes -- Battle Ground, Washington -- I know where that is and it's not to be confused with Seattle or even Spokane.

I think there's a lot of hidden gems in the small high schools, especially since most FBS and FCS schools are too elitist to look their way.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I don't know if you realize this, but there are at least 50 HS with 1600 plus enrollments within an hour drive of SEA. Why is Hermiston more special than any of those close clustered places?

I never said they should overlook Hermiston. But why should you spend money and time on that place when you can get more in an "easier" place?

It isn't just Hermiston; there is a better, bigger market out there. Stop being so dense.
      Why are you mentioning WA HS's? Hermiston is in Oregon! Are you saying WOU should be recruiting those schools over those in Oregon?

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Why are you mentioning WA HS's? Hermiston is in Oregon! Are you saying WOU should be recruiting those schools over those in Oregon?
        I am mentioning them because they are the primary source of recruits for CWU. Your premise was that Hermiston should somehow be on some recruiting radar.

I am finished with you on this.

Comment

I am mentioning them because they are the primary source of recruits for CWU. Your premise was that Hermiston should somehow be on some recruiting radar.

WOU has a big offensive lineman on their team from Hermiston. Looks like they've done well recruiting the Columbia River region, 2 from The Dalles and 3 from Pendleton.

WOU has a nice, diverse geography footprint on their team, approximate numbers:

49 from Oregon
          25 from California
          19 from Washington
          7 from other states -- Nevada, Hawaii, etc.

Going strong in California is good as the state has an enormous population but zero D2 schools north of Los Angeles and just two FCS schools in Northern California in Cal-Davis and Sac State.

Most of the Washington players are from the Puget Sound region or Vancouver area. Nice mix of small, medium, and large school players. Would like to see how they could recruit with more scholarships, right now A.D. is interim and president is either getting voted out or retiring, so that's in flux. Solid, veteran coaching staff knows how to find good recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
            More small school props, I might be biased her having gone to a school with 800 students, but still I'm finding it interesting that the best CWU and WOU players in the last decade have come from small towns. I've already twice mentioned in this thread WOU players. Let's look at CWU:

Mike Reilly -- Kalispell, Montana (lived in Tri-Cities before moving)

Adam Bighill -- Montesano, Washington -- I don't know where that is and I pride myself on my Northwest geography knowledge.

Kevin Haynes -- Battle Ground, Washington -- I know where that is and it's not to be confused with Seattle or even Spokane.

I think there's a lot of hidden gems in the small high schools, especially since most FBS and FCS schools are too elitist to look their way.
            Brock Osweiler went to Kalispelll and was recruited by Arizona State

Will Dissley went to Bozeman and was recruited by UW

Jake Blair at Camas will be going to Oregon State

Dylan Jemtegaard at Yelm will be going to Cal

Caden Jumper from Eatonville will be going to the UW

Ryan Kershaw at LaSalle is going to WSU

Jacob Shusster at Tumwater is going to Minnesota

There are a lot of small school kids that get recruited to the FBS and FCS. I just pointed out a few from Montana and some of the ones from this year that are going FBS. There are a lot of FCS as well.

The point is, your recruiting needs to be focused in higher population areas, and you also have to be aware of the small school kids that are studs. It is not an elitist thing; it is reality.
            Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 12-01-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

We were talking about WOU recruiting the Tri-Cities because boosters want it per what Tim said, not CWU recruiting. I have no idea how you went to CWU's recruiting for an Oregon school. As Tim pointed out, WOU does recruit the eastern side of the state along I-84. You were the only one talking about CWU recruiting Hermiston kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

We were talking about WOU recruiting the Tri-Cities because boosters want it per what Tim said, not CWU recruiting. I have no idea how you went to CWU's recruiting for an Oregon school. As Tim pointed out, WOU does recruit the eastern side of the state along I-84. You were the only one talking about CWU recruiting Hermiston kids.
                Sorry for the confusion, actually it was one assistant coach (Blaine Bennett WOU era) that wanted that kind of recruiting in the Tri-Cities and he was at a booster event after a game. I think the boosters would prefer that they recruit Oregon first and then go outward, which they are doing.

But yes, I believe the current coaching staff has a very good eye on Hermiston High School, as they produce pretty good Division 2 type talent.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Sorry for the confusion, actually it was one assistant coach (Blaine Bennett WOU era) that wanted that kind of recruiting in the Tri-Cities and he was at a booster event after a game. I think the boosters would prefer that they recruit Oregon first and then go outward, which they are doing.

But yes, I believe the current coaching staff has a very good eye on Hermiston High School, as they produce pretty good Division 2 type talent.
                  Thanks for the clarification! I remember a time though when any good Hermiston's player's parents would suddenly get a job offer in Pendleton. I'm really glad to see that has changed, although I know Bellevue got caught for something recently like that too by the WIAA. It was hard on those kids losing all their friends having to move in High School.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X