Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Future of CWU Football/Athletics?

A poll I am publishing to my Facebook page.

Now that Azusa Pacific has cut their football program and the GNAC is down to only 3 football teams, what should CWU do with their football program/athletics?
    Remain in GNAC, convince NAIAs to join
    27.78%
    Remain in GNAC, rely on scheduling agreement with LSC
    11.11%
    Join RMAC for football
    38.89%
    Play as DII Independent for football
    5.56%
    Build toward move to DI FCS
    11.11%
    Cut football (and focus on better basketball team to beat WWU)
    22.22%

Just a note: You don't have to cut football to beat WWU in hoops. WOU has feasted on them in the last decade, it's been fun to punk them. Cutting football has no correlation to beating someone in hoops. You have to hire the right person in hoops. It's not like WWU is some national powerhouse, they had a D-1 ringer and won a national title many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Just a note: You don't have to cut football to beat WWU in hoops. WOU has feasted on them in the last decade, it's been fun to punk them. Cutting football has no correlation to beating someone in hoops. You have to hire the right person in hoops. It's not like WWU is some national powerhouse, they had a D-1 ringer and won a national title many years ago.
      If CWU could pour more money into their basketball program, they would be more competitive. Hoops has always taken a back seat to football at Central. WWU gets the better recruits and they just completely remodeled their gym and facilities. Nicholson Pavilion could use a makeover, and will need one if CWU does move to D1. Aside from WOU who somehow manages to have a decent football and basketball program at the same time, all the other top D2 west coast basketball teams (WWU, SPU, Point Loma, all the other California teams) don't have football to spend money on.

Comment

I have nothing but respect for CWU, but the FCS is not and has not been a realistic option for CWU.

Eastern Washington is struggling financially and has even does studies about dropping their program or reclassifying. Their budget? $18,164,694.

Central Washington's budget is $7,444,424. Central would have to increase their budget by almost 300% just to get to the level of a school that is having budget issues.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

If CWU could pour more money into their basketball program, they would be more competitive. Hoops has always taken a back seat to football at Central. WWU gets the better recruits and they just completely remodeled their gym and facilities. Nicholson Pavilion could use a makeover, and will need one if CWU does move to D1. Aside from WOU who somehow manages to have a decent football and basketball program at the same time, all the other top D2 west coast basketball teams (WWU, SPU, Point Loma, all the other California teams) don't have football to spend money on.
          If you don't have football, you should turn into a women's-only university ... yeah, I'm taking to you SPU, NNU, SPU, etc. :>)

Seriously, if you cut football you will never go FCS -- ever. That's OK, probably not doing that anyway.

Comment

I voted for what I think is really going to happen. Even if it definitely isn't what I want. My preferred option is to convince the NAIAs to join, but that's been talked about for so long...

Comment

CWU had a D1 ringer in a way a couple years ago who is now starting for San Francisco who beat #4 at the time Virginia and was one of the star players in that game.

By the thinking of dropping football, BYU needs to drop football so that they can win the WCC hoops title over St Mary's or Gonzaga, although they've also proven their basketball team can play at a high level and was a projected 6-7 seed before the tourney was canceled.

To me, the best option if the RMAC agreed would be RMAC football only schools. This would hurt the LSC I know, but this is about the remaining GNAC schools. Associate LSC football schools could also in theory work, but that is longer travel involved. That is something CWU has done in the past, but I remember WOU and HSU went independent in Football when CWU and WWU joined the NCC.

Comment

No football is no homecoming and no marching band, no tailgating. Basketball is my favorite sport, but it is seriously overrated in this country. About 150 of those 355 D-1 teams have no business playing it and they fail to generate fan interest. I doubt in the winter that a CWU hoops "homecoming" would draw any alums. Yeah, let's drive over the pass in January for a two-hour/no-tailgating event, and then drive back over at 10 p.m. ... sounds great, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
                  I voted for what I think is really going to happen. Even if it definitely isn't what I want. My preferred option is to convince the NAIAs to join, but that's been talked about for so long...
                  What I'm surprised about with the NAIAs is the Montana schools, it's C of I, EOU, and SOU. Those road trips are brutal. I'm surprised they do this, and surprised SOU at 6,000 students aligns itself with Multnomah Bible, Corban College, and Warner Pacific. I'm not sure why they do this. Outside of an Alaskan trip for men's and women's hoops and volleyball, the travel is easier in the GNAC.

Oh well, I gotta quit trying to figure this out. It comes down to administrators not wanting to work it and banking 6-figure checks, that's all it's about.

Comment

No football is no homecoming and no marching band, no tailgating. Basketball is my favorite sport, but it is seriously overrated in this country. About 150 of those 355 D-1 teams have no business playing it and they fail to generate fan interest. I doubt in the winter that a CWU hoops "homecoming" would draw any alums. Yeah, let's drive over the pass in January for a two-hour/no-tailgating event, and then drive back over at 10 p.m. ... sounds great, doesn't it?
                    Yeah I have these type of discussions on facebook with friends of mine that want to see West Texas A&M go D1. The new casual fans aren't going to show up for the games in thousands because you are playing home games against North Texas and Prairie View A&M instead of Commerce and Midwestern State. To them it means zero difference and could give a rats arse. They definitely arent going to get Texas Tech and OU To come to Canyon to play home games.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

There was a time in the 70s and 80s when CWU was a powerhouse in both sports, and the hoops team made multiple trips to KC for Nationals.

You youngsters and not having a sense of history....

In the time period of Dean Nicholson 1964 to 1990, CWY made 22 trips to Nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

There was a time in the 70s and 80s when CWU was a powerhouse in both sports, and the hoops team made multiple trips to KC for Nationals.

You youngsters and not having a sense of history....

In the time period of Dean Nicholson 1964 to 1990, CWY made 22 trips to Nationals.
                        The world did not exist before anything I can remember.

Comment

What I'm surprised about with the NAIAs is the Montana schools, it's C of I, EOU, and SOU. Those road trips are brutal. I'm surprised they do this, and surprised SOU at 6,000 students aligns itself with Multnomah Bible, Corban College, and Warner Pacific. I'm not sure why they do this. Outside of an Alaskan trip for men's and women's hoops and volleyball, the travel is easier in the GNAC.

Oh well, I gotta quit trying to figure this out. It comes down to administrators not wanting to work it and banking 6-figure checks, that's all it's about.
                          I doubt the presidents and ADs are taking the bus trips. Maybe joining the RMAC will happen, I don't see the three schools becoming members of the LSC. D1 won't happen because of the price tag. It's a damn shame, too, because the GNAC is pretty stable in all other sports.

Comment

I doubt the presidents and ADs are taking the bus trips. Maybe joining the RMAC will happen, I don't see the three schools becoming members of the LSC. D1 won't happen because of the price tag. It's a damn shame, too, because the GNAC is pretty stable in all other sports.
                            I agree with IR, GNAC has never been stable for football, but we're a force to be reckoned with in dang near every other sport.

Comment

When the GNAC had Mines, Dixie, Humboldt, and Azuzsa; the NAIA's wouldn't join then. I believe they had 7 teams at that point. I don't see the NAIA joining the D-2 ranks. Central may be better off going Frontier???

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X