Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving forward

What we know, GNAC has 3 schools left and when the border opens, SFU will again be back in the fold. I trust Single Malt on this, he coaches, is wired into SFU, knows what's going on north of the border. I'm glad Simon Fraser is in the conference.

The LSC agreement is on for now, keep that. I'm not sure how that works, I believe it's four games, two home and two away. So that's 8 games if GNAC teams play twice. Gotta find two more. If I was WOU, I'd schedule two FCS money games a year to pay for things, like travel.

What we don't know, but can probably guess correctly: EOU and SOU are entrenched in their NAIA worlds. Friend of mine in La Grande told me he didn't think EOU could make it at the D2 level. Right now they're building nice facilities, I think an indoor field house with turf; upgraded football stadium and track; and I've heard has more football scholarships than WOU. They could possibly make it, I'm not sure. SOU could no doubt make it. If those two went D2, the College of Idaho would quickly follow, IMO. They're all wired in on scholarships (24 for football) and hoops (I believe fully funded for men's and women's at the NAIA level). The NAIA, however, has a pretty good grip on those schools. I'm not against NAIA at all and liked WOU's membership in the division, but it would be hard to go back after some pretty good success at D2 in various sports.

Gotta bite the bullet and schedule two FCS schools, IMO ... not making playoffs anyway, just cash in. I'm sure I'm totally unaware of D2 metrics and all that, don't care.

Sending love out to the Pacific Northwest from RMAC country. I hate seeing D2 schools drop football and really hope WOU, CWU and SFU figure out a way to stay viable.

Comment

Good post tsull. I think that is the right approach. I'll look up the requirements for playoff eligibility, but I agree that those are of a secondary nature right now. They should only be a factor for CWU as they are the one school that has made the playoffs on a somewhat consistent basis.

Comment

SFU just put a bunch of money into their field, building stands. I hope they keep going. I think I'll write CWU's AD and strongly suggest they look at joining the Frontier Conference for football only. It's the only option that makes sense. Paying to fly players to Texas (or to Colorado) is going to get too cost prohibitive to be a long term solution.

Comment

First Humboldt State and now Azusa Pacific. It's hard to come back from a punch to the gut and a kick to the head. I wish GNAC football all the best in the New Year and hopefully beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
            First Humboldt State and now Azusa Pacific. It's hard to come back from a punch to the gut and a kick to the head. I wish GNAC football all the best in the New Year and hopefully beyond that.
            And a lot more teams lost from football, WWU (dropped football), Dixie State (moved to RMAC), and SD Mines (moved to RMAC). They even had Grand Canyon University as a new school to come in that instead dropped football and went D1. The only conference that may have lost more in D2 that I can think of is the NCC.

Comment

WOU hasn't been an embarrassment vs. FCS teams. They almost beat PSU with Bergman at QB and Revis and Williams at WR. They beat Sac State and Southern Utah. EWU pounded them once badly I think, but they also hung with EWU. Montana State handled them, but MSU was really good.

CWU has hung with EWU a number of times, lost to a great Montana team on a late field goal; CWU beat Idaho State, those are the ones I remember.

I still think if the NAIA Frontier League isn't an option -- and I don't think it will be -- I think 4 GNAC teams, 4 LSC teams, and 2 FCS teams, is the ideal schedule. That's not horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                WOU hasn't been an embarrassment vs. FCS teams. They almost beat PSU with Bergman at QB and Revis and Williams at WR. They beat Sac State and Southern Utah. EWU pounded them once badly I think, but they also hung with EWU. Montana State handled them, but MSU was really good.

CWU has hung with EWU a number of times, lost to a great Montana team on a late field goal; CWU beat Idaho State, those are the ones I remember.

I still think if the NAIA Frontier League isn't an option -- and I don't think it will be -- I think 4 GNAC teams, 4 LSC teams, and 2 FCS teams, is the ideal schedule. That's not horrific.
                CWU beat Montana State once as well. I don't see the partnership with the LSC hanging on for that long. Costs a lot to fly a whole team halfway across the country 2 times a year.

Comment

We talk about blocked kicks and our mutual hatred of programs that drop football.

Kittitas Valley Sports Talk

Season 2 Episode 4 - Brandon Misener from D2Football.com talking future of the GNAC after Azusa drops its football program.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2MraWbDOZ2uhZcS6p8yGc1

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

CWU beat Montana State once as well. I don't see the partnership with the LSC hanging on for that long. Costs a lot to fly a whole team halfway across the country 2 times a year.
                    Playing two FCS teams can help with that cost. If not, play an NAIA team in non-league, people seriously need to get over themselves on NAIA vs. D2 ... why do people freak out about this?

Comment

Playing two FCS teams can help with that cost. If not, play an NAIA team in non-league, people seriously need to get over themselves on NAIA vs. D2 ... why do people freak out about this?
                      Recently, it's been because of playoff criteria. When the site was started, it was common.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        We talk about blocked kicks and our mutual hatred of programs that drop football.

Kittitas Valley Sports Talk

Season 2 Episode 4 - Brandon Misener from D2Football.com talking future of the GNAC after Azusa drops its football program.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2MraWbDOZ2uhZcS6p8yGc1
                        Thanks Brandon and Jon.

Comment

Recently, it's been because of playoff criteria. When the site was started, it was common.
                          I get that, but in the last 50 years, WOU has made it to zero D2 playoff appearances, one D2 bowl, and three NAIA playoff berths. I'd rather have football on Saturdays in the fall by playing a mix of D2, NAIA, FCS, then drop it because you can't make a playoff berths that would never arrive anyway.

Again, people need to get over themselves.

Comment

I get that, but in the last 50 years, WOU has made it to zero D2 playoff appearances, one D2 bowl, and three NAIA playoff berths. I'd rather have football on Saturdays in the fall by playing a mix of D2, NAIA, FCS, then drop it because you can't make a playoff berths that would never arrive anyway.

Again, people need to get over themselves.
                            I was telling you my perceived reason. I'm not disagreeing with you.

Comment

I was telling you my perceived reason. I'm not disagreeing with you.
                              Sorry, Brandon, didn't mean to jump you. I guess I'm kind of fired up about this topic and really frustrated that D2 West Coast Football can't get their act together.

I greatly appreciate what you do for D2 football nation wide, wish there were more people like you.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X