Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stealth View Post

I find it interesting that the options didn't suggest the Pioneer Football League with U of San Diego. Seem like that is the logical place for EWU. Moving to D2 for football is ridiculous given that the GNAC only has 3 teams and is 3 teams away from a tiny conference. The thing is with only 3 teams, the GNAC isn't an option for anyone anymore.

CWU should either move to DI and do Pioneer football or join the big sky.
    SFU needs to move to DI if they are allowed.
    WOU needs to take a long look at the NAIA or drop football.
    CWU going to D1 has been hashed over many times. It's not happening, at least not any time soon. The money isn't there. SFU doesn't have the interest in athletics to go D1.

Comment

I find it interesting that the options didn't suggest the Pioneer Football League with U of San Diego. Seem like that is the logical place for EWU. Moving to D2 for football is ridiculous given that the GNAC only has 3 teams and is 3 teams away from a tiny conference. The thing is with only 3 teams, the GNAC isn't an option for anyone anymore.

I think travel in the Pioneer would be tougher for EWU than the Big Sky, but that may work for their non-football teams. San Diego though is WCC in all other sports and one of the only two in Basketball with a sub 150 NET ranking.

Comment

WOU is not dropping football, never ... stop that. SFU gets 300 a game in men's hoops; I'm sure people are dying to put them in their D1 conference, have to get passports and not be on TV; and play in front of 1,000 in football. That's crazy talk of SFU going D1. Couple years ago people had WWU going D1 in hoops. For what? A small town not near an airport that will draw 600 a game in hoops, no metro area. Why?

CWU would need to pay hoop coaches $200K and football coaches $300K to be in the Big Sky, and increase the stadium to 10K minimum; and triple the athletic budget salary and quadruple the booster base. I don't think any of that is happening. Or they could just mail it in and be Northern Colorado or Sac State or Portland State and play in high school type gyms and get 500 a game and be horrific in nearly every sport.

The absolute last thing the world needs is a 360th or 361st men's basketball team. In reality here's what needs to happen: If you cannot average 1,500 a game in an arena that must be 4K or larger, you can't play Division I anything. If your football stadium is not 10K or later and you do not average 5K or more, you can't play FCS. The 6-figure A.D.'s get away with doing nothing because there's no bars to get over, they're set too low.

Comment

• Of course SFU is interested in D1. That's the whole reason they moved from the NAIA. Moving from NAIA to D2 didn't change anything for SFU. They see it as a stepping stone to D1. Their whole marketing directive has been an American style university and sports in Canada.

Pioneer League is a non-scholarship football only league, so CWU would fit can join a league without football. But the WAC is adding football in 2022. Given the current enrollments, they would fit. Travel cost might be a burden, but they currently are a burden.

I think WOU is stuck, and need to make some hard decisions. Independent football might be the way to go, but that usually doesn't last for long.

Comment

• Simon Fraser will never be division one in sports, ever ever ever. Never. not a chance in hell and I'll make any bet on that.

Right now 90% of the Big Sky is hemorrhaging money playing FCS football and having to take money from other parts of the university to keep it afloat.

Central Washington does not have the coin to do that or make it happen.. . ever, as in never. Eastern Washington right now needs 10 one million dollar boosters minimum and they don't have it. Central Washington needs 10 to 20 million dollar boosters to make division one happen and they don't have it. They would need a 15,000 seat stadium, a basketball coach making $200,000 a year, a football coach making $300,000 a year luxury suites that cost $20,000 a year ... none of that is happening in Ellensburg. Ever. It's not happening in Cheney and that's why their whole department is in chaos.
            Last edited by tsull; 03-03-2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Here's an interesting article from espn on Fairleigh Dickinson adding sports. I laughed when they said FDU hired an economist from California, a state where they love to cut sports especially football, as a consultant.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...s-some-schools

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                Here's an interesting article from espn on Fairleigh Dickinson adding sports. I laughed when they said FDU hired an economist from California, a state where they love to cut sports especially football, as a consultant.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...s-some-schools
                Can we send that economist to HSU, WWU, and APU? Perhaps even UNO should talk to him even though they are now D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsull View Post

If you're one of the largest evangelical universities in the nation, you have money; and you just lost 100 students. Using Christian Okoye in the press release was lame, too, him saying it's a great thing that football is being cut. I get the travel and all that, play some home games, play some D3's at home, some local I-AA's (Cal Poly, University of San Diego); put together a schedule. I'll disagree with the California-quitter mentality. I love the state, but I don't like their approach to college football. No, it was anti-football administration, and they're laughing it up right now as they keep their same salaries with half the work.
                  Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I just came back on because of boredom.
                  APU dropped football because of money issues, not a hatred of football. How do I know? I was part of 1/3 of the faculty and staff let go last year. The undergrad pop dropped from a high of 5700 to around 2500. The doors are still open because of the grad programs.

No D2 football in the most populous state in the country. Simpson U, in Redding, CA is starting football. They are in the far north of the state, so maybe a future opponent to some of the Oregon schools.

Wishing everyone a good, long, and healthy season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X