Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post

That's a nice stadium. Single Malt has a lot of information on this being a B.C. football coach. But yes, I'd love to play UBC in conference or non-conference play. I think they avoid NCAA ball, however. As noted before, Vancouver is my favorite West Coast city, so it would be great to have two teams from up there. Wishful thinking, but they'd be a great addition ... excellent academic school, too.
    All of their facilities appear to be top-notch - they'd be a great addition. I don't know much about the school, but they appear to be a really great place.

Their baseball team is interesting. They consistently put out draft picks. Jeff Francis stuck out to me - it's rare to see an NAIA guy taken in the first round. They'd probably be a top D2 team.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Well, there's the thing. When SFU was in the Canadian league, they probably traveled further than they do now. That division covers half the continent.

So they have the same problem we do in D2 football out west.
      Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

They have few teams and have to travel longer distances, but they seem to make it work better than the GNAC has. Not to mention they are also Canadian.

Comment

I was looking for information on watching the American's game next week, but found that https://www.nbcrightnow.com/sports/ for the Tri-Cities and Yakima has a section for CWU. It was neat seeing 6 on the women's basketball team won GNAC All-Conference academic honors.

Too bad nobody really cares about SWX and only Spectrum carries it with no satellite services having the channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
          I was looking for information on watching the American's game next week, but found that https://www.nbcrightnow.com/sports/ for the Tri-Cities and Yakima has a section for CWU. It was neat seeing 6 on the women's basketball team won GNAC All-Conference academic honors.

Too bad nobody really cares about SWX and only Spectrum carries it with no satellite services having the channel.
          If you have an antenna, you can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Curiously, they already have:

Simpson scores twice in third period to lift UND - University of North Dakota Athletics (fightinghawks.com)

IMO, the NCAA needs to govern hockey separately as it's a regional sport. They closed a big door by not allowing any more D2/D3 teams to field a D1 hockey program. SFU would benefit most by staying D2 for all other sports, and having D1 hockey. There are a bunch of D2 schools that would have interest in NCAA hockey, but can't field a D2/D3 team. The ACHA has really stepped in to become the varsity outlet for some of these schools.

The one concern I have for SFU is how isolated they are. Huntsville barely saved theirs, multiple times. Anchorage is still awaiting a verdict. There is obviously Fairbanks, ASU, Denver, and Colorado College as well I suppose.

It would be cool if they could wrangle UBC into the NCAA with them. That would be a successful partnership.

Comment

Comment

A lot of southern schools do have successful ACHA programs like ASU did. It will be interesting to see who joins, if anyone.

Though, I was expecting a boom 5-6 years (?) ago - maybe not a large one, but I was thinking at least one or two more schools down south would bite. I guess I was wrong.

Comment

I live in a small rural community and they get upset when, especially come state tournament time, the news doesn't take a full 10 minutes to highlight the game. It's an odd form of superiority complex. But I digress.

Even worse given how we're in the same class as Minnehaha Academy for basketball...

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I live in a small rural community and they get upset when, especially come state tournament time, the news doesn't take a full 10 minutes to highlight the game. It's an odd form of superiority complex. But I digress.

Even worse given how we're in the same class as Minnehaha Academy for basketball...
                    Isn't that where Chet Holmgren is right now and Jalen Suggs was last year? That is crazy if you are in the the same division as a school with that kind of talent

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Isn't that where Chet Holmgren is right now and Jalen Suggs was last year? That is crazy if you are in the the same division as a school with that kind of talent
                      Yeah - that's the one. Same team that beat Sierra Nevada from California last year in front of a near-sold out crowd at the Target Center.

I was wrong - they moved up a class last year. Must be a football situation where AA and AAA are same enrollment, but just split up. They obviously deserve a little more media attention than our little tiny schools way out here, but I'm in the minority on that take.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Yeah - that's the one. Same team that beat Sierra Nevada from California last year in front of a near-sold out crowd at the Target Center.

I was wrong - they moved up a class last year. Must be a football situation where AA and AAA are same enrollment, but just split up. They obviously deserve a little more media attention than our little tiny schools way out here, but I'm in the minority on that take.
                        Related to the thread where Pendelton was brought up, their rival in Hermiston was forced to move up a few years ago. Due to that, they moved to the WIAA for sports with the 2+ hour drive to Portland for all league games as Portland schools weren't willing to travel to them. Despite similar town populations, Hermiston High has twice the number of students of Pendleton at over 1,600 and is on the verge of jumping divisions in Washington too 4A with its current growth, but could stay in the same league as a 3A/4A mix league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Related to the thread where Pendelton was brought up, their rival in Hermiston was forced to move up a few years ago. Due to that, they moved to the WIAA for sports with the 2+ hour drive to Portland for all league games as Portland schools weren't willing to travel to them. Despite similar town populations, Hermiston High has twice the number of students of Pendleton at over 1,600 and is on the verge of jumping divisions in Washington too 4A with its current growth, but could stay in the same league as a 3A/4A mix league.
                          We have open enrollment in MN - does WA have the same? That might explain the enrollment difference.

Your comment about travel made me remember this video - Minnehaha Academy on the road against St. Peter. Chet Holmgren is #34 and Jalen Suggs is #1. They didn't have to be involved in this, but they were - and I think that's pretty cool.

The Successful Season for ALL - YouTube

Anyway, about enrollment - the town I used to live in was super competitive in their class. The kids that couldn't cut it would enroll at a smaller school up the road. Not only that, but another nearby Class A school was also ultra-competitive and was having the same thing happen. Now this town of ~1,000 is having kids bussed in from two different nearby towns. Their facilities are relatively new, but they've have to expand them a couple of times already. It doesn't seem like the townspeople mind it that much from what I can tell - I don't know if it makes them more competitive or not. Weird how all that can work.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

We have open enrollment in MN - does WA have the same? That might explain the enrollment difference.

Your comment about travel made me remember this video - Minnehaha Academy on the road against St. Peter. Chet Holmgren is #34 and Jalen Suggs is #1. They didn't have to be involved in this, but they were - and I think that's pretty cool.

The Successful Season for ALL - YouTube

Anyway, about enrollment - the town I used to live in was super competitive in their class. The kids that couldn't cut it would enroll at a smaller school up the road. Not only that, but another nearby Class A school was also ultra-competitive and was having the same thing happen. Now this town of ~1,000 is having kids bussed in from two different nearby towns. Their facilities are relatively new, but they've have to expand them a couple of times already. It doesn't seem like the townspeople mind it that much from what I can tell - I don't know if it makes them more competitive or not. Weird how all that can work.
                            Hermiston has only one HS, but I believe Washington schools (7 in the metro are) has open enrollment. Walla Walla also has only one HS for the conference.

As for Pendelton, the problem for them is all the towns in Eastern Oregon with any size for 5A HS's are mostly 100+ miles away from each other other than 2 in Redmond. I remember that travel to Bend for games when I was in HS and it was a 4 hour drive each way for league games with only Pendleton within an hour.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X