Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California university starting football and athletics

Lincoln University of Oakland, California, is starting up athletics, including football. I saw an ad on footballscoop.com to hire coaches. Their athletic dept. link doesn't work, but I found this:

http://www.lincolnuca.edu/studentlif...Fathleticintro

I pride myself in being a geek who knows many colleges across the nation, the division they play in, and where they're located. I know, I need a life, but I do have other hobbies ... honest! I had never heard of Lincoln University before and it's been around since the 1920's. Not sure if they'll be D2/D3/NAIA ... found it interesting. I also find it interesting that Notre Dame de Namur University announced its staying open after almost closing. They cut athletics. The school is165 years old and in Belmont, California, a very rich area. Meanwhile, Lincoln University in downtown Oakland with not a big campus and only 500 students is cranking things up. It's about wanting to do so.

There's no D2 or NAIA football teams left in California. But we have several D3 teams in SoCal. Thanks for sharing the good news!

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
      There's no D2 or NAIA football teams left in California. But we have several D3 teams in SoCal. Thanks for sharing the good news!
      I'm sure GNAC or the Frontier Conference would welcome them if they needed a football home in D2 or NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'm sure GNAC or the Frontier Conference would welcome them if they needed a football home in D2 or NAIA.
        With open arms, especially the fledgling GNAC. They're down to only three teams if my memory is correct.

Comment

Tons of prep football talent in the city of Oakland. Oakland junior college Laney College is also loaded in one of the better JCs in the country. If they tap those two areas they will do well, no matter what division they are in.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
            Tons of prep football talent in the city of Oakland. Oakland junior college Laney College is also loaded in one of the better JCs in the country. If they tap those two areas they will do well, no matter what division they are in.
            Lincoln's Athletic Director/Head Coach email address is listed in your original post in this thread. I just sent him an email asking what division they'll be playing in. If I get a response I'll post it here.
            Last edited by crixus; 02-21-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Lincoln's Athletic Director/Head Coach email address is listed in your original post in this thread. I just sent him an email asking what division they'll be playing in. If I get a response I'll post it here.
              Thanks, I'm guessing wherever they can get the most opponents within a decent drive.

If hayward, humbold, sonoma, chico, still had division 2 college football, that's where Lincoln University would play. I see my speech to text didn't capitalize those schools and I won't correct it since they cut football.

Comment

Thanks, I'm guessing wherever they can get the most opponents within a decent drive.

If hayward, humbold, sonoma, chico, still had division 2 college football, that's where Lincoln University would play. I see my speech to text didn't capitalize those schools and I won't correct it since they cut football.
                And it misspelled Humoldt!

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

And it misspelled Humoldt!
                  As did you

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

As did you
                    lol I know, but do you blame me for misspelling it with how they cut football? I couldn't take out an A, but a B to leave them with a grade of D.

Comment

They only have 2 undergrad degrees listed on WASC. With undergrad enrollment of 79. Full accreditation in 2020.

Seems like they have a long way. And reminds me of http://www.americansportsuniversity.com/

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
                        They only have 2 undergrad degrees listed on WASC. With undergrad enrollment of 79. Full accreditation in 2020.

Seems like they have a long way. And reminds me of http://www.americansportsuniversity.com/
                        Yeah, they are an odd school. Not a lot of info out there on them - but with an enrollment of 79, one campus building, and accreditation issues - I question the motives here.

And there's this - it's locked behind a paywall, but I do know they are referenced in the article. It's 10 years old, but that is pretty concerning nonetheless.

Little-Known Colleges Make Millions Off Foreign Students (chronicle.com)

It's exciting to start sports up and I wish them the best, but... well, this will be interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Yeah, they are an odd school. Not a lot of info out there on them - but with an enrollment of 79, one campus building, and accreditation issues - I question the motives here.

And there's this - it's locked behind a paywall, but I do know they are referenced in the article. It's 10 years old, but that is pretty concerning nonetheless.

Little-Known Colleges Make Millions Off Foreign Students (chronicle.com)

It's exciting to start sports up and I wish them the best, but... well, this will be interesting to watch.
                          Lincoln University of Oakland had either 79, 92, or 500 students, I've seen different numbers ... I'll go with 100.

My guess is they want to get more students. I find it interesting that a school barely on the radar and with probably under 100 students is trying, and established universities with enough money to run football programs -- APU and Humboldt -- quit. You gotta want it, or you can be a loser and quit.

Comment

Lincoln University of Oakland had either 79, 92, or 500 students, I've seen different numbers ... I'll go with 100.

My guess is they want to get more students. I find it interesting that a school barely on the radar and with probably under 100 students is trying, and established universities with enough money to run football programs -- APU and Humboldt -- quit. You gotta want it, or you can be a loser and quit.
                            We don't disagree on the bolded - however the primary function of a university is not to just provide sports. I'm always cautious when it comes to these ultra-tiny universities, and LU isn't passing the academic smell test.

Red Flags:

-They have a prior enrollment scandal involving the recruitment of international students to make a quick buck.
                            -Their school motto gives me late-night "get rich quick" seminar vibes.
                            -They have ACICS accreditation, which on further inspection is somehow even worse than TRACS.
                            -Despite existing in a major metro area, their non-specialized academics can only muster them >100 students.
                            -The general lack of available information regarding this school. Most inquiries redirect to unrelated Lincoln University in PA.

The school is also in a shoddy neighborhood, which doesn't automatically excuse it from the table (USC) - but it's definitely worth noting.

There is also this excerpt from a letter from the President on the "about" section of the website:

In this one excerpt (there are plenty more), I gather these claims:

1. We're "old," other "old" universities are "good," therefore we're "good" too.
                            2. We are "highly selective."
                            3. We don't offer a lot because we only want to focus on a few "world-class" programs
                            3. We're "diverse."

Here's the issue with it (in my opinion):

1. This claim is weird and somehow manages to be paradoxically wrong. Yes, the best colleges tend to be older. Just because a college is old doesn't make it "good." Also "older" implies the 1600's-1860's or so. The vast majority of top universities were well established by 1919, maybe except for Brandeis and UCLA.

2. They take anyone and everyone. No one wants to go there, so they hide it by claiming to be selective. I can't even find a stated acceptance rate. The Curtis Institute of Music has 130 students... and a 4% acceptance rate.

3. They are responding to the question of "Why don't you offer a lot of programs?" They don't because they can't afford too, and they are playing it off like a strength. Most of what they offer is business-centric, and as a business major - I've never heard of them and they do not stack up with even the most mediocre of business programs.

4. Ballsy. They are known to target international students for a borderline scam. Yikes.

I know those types of statements are often filled with higher ed. buzzwords and mumbo jumbo regardless of the school - but to me, it's the cherry on-top of a red-flag sundae.

Lastly, another ultra-tiny "university" that offered sports (and only sports), FTSU - charged students $33,000/yr. to participate in what amounts to competition comparable to a beer league. They provided no education - opting instead to enroll everyone in the for-profit Waldorf University for online courses. It was a scam. More sports isn't always better.

The article mentions TUVAA - a "university" in Virginia that does largely the same thing. Their website is the only information I can find on them. To me, it seems like they are operating a for-profit, pay-to-play, non-university targeting young eager athletes. I fear LU is intent on the same business model. Go JUCO kids, it's a better level of competition, cheaper, and you get a real education.

The downfall of America's first sport-only college (espn.com)
                            Home (ourtuvaa.com)

I didn't mean to make my post so long, I just wanted to lay out why this all smells fishy to me. If they are successful and can use sports to better their programs and offerings, more power to them. I just don't see the NCAA or even the NAIA extending the olive branch to this school - they don't qualify for the CCCAA, and I see them ultimately joining a local amateur rec league under the guise of "varsity sports."

Comment

Great information, Mustang, my guess is they want to crank up enrollment with football. That said, what they should do if they really want students is offer public school prices. The school is small and in downtown Oakland with not many buildings, there's not a lot of upkeep and really not much of a campus. To be honest, I'd go community college prices ... cost is the No. 1 thing most students look at nation-wide. I'd undercut everyone and see what lands.

Regarding sports/football, obviously they'll have to play at a local high school. That's OK. Northwest Nazarene should add football, IMO, and play at the nice Nampa High stadium a half mile or less away.

Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho, plays NAIA sports, but also plays club football and actually beat D3 Pacific University a couple of years ago (yes, the Northwest Conference is not very good). They have a strong club program that goes around and plays other college club programs. That's the only way Lincoln could get this up and running, IMO. I wouldn't start intercollegiate football until they get enrollment to 500.

It could be a scam university, I'm not sure. They certainly don't qualify for NCAA or probably even NAIA right now. I applaud them for trying something ... that's better than not trying, or worse, quitting when you already have the sport.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X