Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I remember finding it interesting that Humboldt County has (had, 5 years ago) a lower population density than Lyon County, where SMSU is. That seems to be about as rural as you can get in California - short of existing in the desert. I'd imagine that's playing into it as well, somewhat.

If I understand it correctly, Cal Poly tends to be more focused on STEM than on the Liberal Arts? If so, that's the move. I really think more public schools should go that route and stop competing with each other on English degrees. It's a big issue I'm seeing in my own state.

Sounds like another functioning, happy institution that got steamrolled by a rogue administration - and instead of dealing with simple enrollment issues, now they got a whole lotta other stuff to fix as a result.

It's a big county. 4,000 square miles vs 700 for Lyon County.

Comment

There was zero reason to cut football at Humboldt State, none. They had the money raised to sustain it; they averaged around 8K a game, among the best in the nation for D2; they had a big feature on the program in the New York Times, they put a linemen into the NFL. Complete, utter b.s.

Never hire an east coaster as president of a west coast school. WOU did when I was in school, he wanted to turn it into a state school version of Reed College; enrollment plummeted. It took the Pasadena College president to lift the school to new heights. Every time WOU has gone the Midwest route (they've done that often) or east coast, it's met with disaster. Better get that A.D. hire right, too, WOU's last two were there for a total of 6 years. How do you get traction doing that?

Humboldt and WWU erred with clown presidential hires and paid dearly.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

It's a big county. 4,000 square miles vs 700 for Lyon County.
        Yeah. Humboldt is roughly 5.62x larger than Lyon, and their population is 5.32x larger. That ~.3 difference in proportion between the two accounts for the ever so slight difference in population density. It's trivial at a 3 person difference - but still kinda interesting.

Comment

CWU just announced they will host Lincoln on October 30

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
            CWU just announced they will host Lincoln on October 30
            I fully welcome Lincoln into the GNAC if they want to do so and that would be for all sports. What they want to do with their admissions and tuition is up to them, this is a sports thing and I want them on board.

It's no worse than Concordia, which couldn't even keep its doors open; Azusa, a fully funded football program that decided to cowardly dump the sport; and Humboldt State, which was ripped off by an east coast president, and now is searching for a college identity as enrollment plummets. And to quote a recent column in the Spokane newspaper regarding Eastern Washington's struggles, cutting football at Western Washington didn't turn them into Harvard, was the quote in the column. So true.

Comment

Game #7
              https://www.whitworthpirates.com/spo...21-22/schedule

Comment

HoFer Gary Payton is the new basketball HC at Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                  Really? They must have some money.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Really? They must have some money.
                    https://theundefeated.com/features/g...ln-university/

Yes he is.

Comment

Maybe we will see Payton in Nicholson Pavilion someday! I made a topic in the West basketball message boards, too.

Comment

Does this make them more or less legit?

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Lincoln University of Oakland had either 79, 92, or 500 students, I've seen different numbers ... I'll go with 100.

My guess is they want to get more students. I find it interesting that a school barely on the radar and with probably under 100 students is trying, and established universities with enough money to run football programs -- APU and Humboldt -- quit. You gotta want it, or you can be a loser and quit.
                          WASC says 79 undergrads, 370 graduates. So I guess they are making money (graduates bring in cash/little expense)

Comment

Game #8

https://www.acufirestorm.com/schedule/19/5

So far, they face 1-FCS, 5-D2's, 1-D3, and 1-NAIA

Comment

Originally posted by D2football Fanl View Post
                              Game #8

https://www.acufirestorm.com/schedule/19/5

So far, they face 1-FCS, 5-D2's, 1-D3, and 1-NAIA
                              A good start, only one less game than WOU, which has been doing this D2 thing for 20 years. Can't believe WOU has 9 games and starts with four on the road. I know scheduling is tough on the West Coast, but I hope WOU and Lincoln can play this year. I wouldn't mind seeing WOU play EOU or SOU, but everyone in Oregon is uptight about playing each other. Linfield 25 miles from WOU is playing Simon Fraser, but not WOU ... and people wonder why D2 football struggles on the West Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

A good start, only one less game than WOU, which has been doing this D2 thing for 20 years. Can't believe WOU has 9 games and starts with four on the road. I know scheduling is tough on the West Coast, but I hope WOU and Lincoln can play this year. I wouldn't mind seeing WOU play EOU or SOU, but everyone in Oregon is uptight about playing each other. Linfield 25 miles from WOU is playing Simon Fraser, but not WOU ... and people wonder why D2 football struggles on the West Coast.
                                When I was in Ellensburg I remember being at DQ and heard people talking about how they heard a rumor that there was a university in Ellensburg.... This after getting off an exit where it says CWU on the sign! It really is any University not in the Pac-12 it feels like and feels like a lot of people here look down on small schools including EWU which almost beat UW a few years back.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X