Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

When I was in Ellensburg I remember being at DQ and heard people talking about how they heard a rumor that there was a university in Ellensburg.... This after getting off an exit where it says CWU on the sign! It really is any University not in the Pac-12 it feels like and feels like a lot of people here look down on small schools including EWU which almost beat UW a few years back.
    That's an incredible story and yeah, it happens. The average person is ignorant. I remember in college before the internet and being new to Oregon, I quickly researched all the small colleges in the Northwest. I was running cross country and wasn't aware of everyone and the trips we'd be taking. I wanted to know. There was this big building on campus called a library and they had these things called books where I could look up colleges. I knew where Willamette, Linfield, Pacific, and Lewis & Clark, were before I got to campus. I'd looked into a couple of those schools coming out of high school, didn't have the private school dough and in many cases, the grades. Western Oregon was playing CWU in football, I knew it was in Ellensburg when I was in high school having gone through the town. I knew where WWU was as some people from my hometown had gone there. I wasn't as familiar with Southern Oregon, OIT, UPS, and PLU. My little research project took me less than a half hour. Now you can get the info with a 5-second Google search ... and people are still stupid and don't know where things are located. "UO, OSU, UW, ,Gonzaga, and WSU are the only schools in their states, right?" I don't suffer fools, especially lazy ones.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

That's an incredible story and yeah, it happens. The average person is ignorant. I remember in college before the internet and being new to Oregon, I quickly researched all the small colleges in the Northwest. I was running cross country and wasn't aware of everyone and the trips we'd be taking. I wanted to know. There was this big building on campus called a library and they had these things called books where I could look up colleges. I knew where Willamette, Linfield, Pacific, and Lewis & Clark, were before I got to campus. I'd looked into a couple of those schools coming out of high school, didn't have the private school dough and in many cases, the grades. Western Oregon was playing CWU in football, I knew it was in Ellensburg when I was in high school having gone through the town. I knew where WWU was as some people from my hometown had gone there. I wasn't as familiar with Southern Oregon, OIT, UPS, and PLU. My little research project took me less than a half hour. Now you can get the info with a 5-second Google search ... and people are still stupid and don't know where things are located. "UO, OSU, UW, ,Gonzaga, and WSU are the only schools in their states, right?" I don't suffer fools, especially lazy ones.
      And there are still people that think Gonzaga is D2 because they don't have football! That is despite their success in basketball in both men's and women's sports. They also think EWU is D2, despite winning the D1-FCS title. I know it is definitely more of a West Side thing, as they also look down on WSU.

Comment

And there are still people that think Gonzaga is D2 because they don't have football! That is despite their success in basketball in both men's and women's sports. They also think EWU is D2, despite winning the D1-FCS title. I know it is definitely more of a West Side thing, as they also look down on WSU.
        It was easy to figure this stuff out before the internet now it's super easy to figure this stuff out even if people aren't big fans of collegiate sports or universities in general.

Then again I have little interest in bad TV shows that everybody's obsessed with, so to each their own.

Comment

I once had a conversation with a huge college sports fan in my family - they asked me if I watch college football. I said "Yeah, but I mainly watch D2."

They said "Oh, like North Dakota State?"

I get it's confusing and most people just don't care enough to learn, but still... it's almost as bad as trying to explain how summer collegiate baseball works.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post

Does this make them more or less legit?
            Well, they're being sued for fraud apparently - so you'll have to make your own judgement call there.

20-9300 - TMCO, Ltd v. Brodsky et al - Content Details - USCOURTS-cand-3_20-cv-09300 (govinfo.gov)

Comment

I've seen a lot of high school seniors tweet out their college choice, claiming they are going D1 and the school they mention is JUCO. There is a much larger portion of the public than we realize that have no understanding of the different divisions or associations. That what always gets me about schools changing affiliations, it usually doesn't change anything in the long term.

Comment

WASC says 79 undergrads, 370 graduates. So I guess they are making money (graduates bring in cash/little expense)
                The president also owns a very highly rated spa with a waterfront view in San Francisco - which might have something to do with it.

Payout to bathhouse owner removes opposition to SF development - Curbed SF

According to this, it seems like Lincoln may have benefitted from that payout as well.

How to Restore the California Dream: Removing Obstacles to Fast and Affordable Housing Development (independent.org)

That's all on top of being awarded a spot on the DoE's prestigious "Heightened Cash Monitoring" list with the very distinct honor of "very severe findings" being slapped on their record. Lovely.

Comment

I've seen a lot of high school seniors tweet out their college choice, claiming they are going D1 and the school they mention is JUCO. There is a much larger portion of the public than we realize that have no understanding of the different divisions or associations. That what always gets me about schools changing affiliations, it usually doesn't change anything in the long term.
                  Yeah, no kidding. I can see where the distinction between FBS, FCS, and D2 can get confusing for the casual fan as D2 is effectively the third division of college football.

It's partially why I'm a little concerned about Lincoln parading around as a "D2" school without any real indication of such. It could be misleading if they end up in a JUCO association.

Comment

Saw a commit recently say that he's excited to be going to the University of Washington State. Perhaps these clowns should step off of tick tock for a second and maybe do 10 to 20 minutes worth of reading on the University they are actually going to attend.

And yes the divisions are confusing for everybody and I don't expect everyone to know. But for those who are engaged in college athletics or at least pretend to be, that old 5 second Google search can do wonders.

* Regarding Lincoln University, I'm not sure they are long for this world. It would be much safer and more legit if some of those California state universities actually brought back football, but it's much easier being a commuter school than trying to have activities students like. I've rarely seen a good college president at the small college level, it's pretty low hanging fruit after the top universities get their people. Not only are these presidents bad, they are amazingly lazy.

Comment

Saw a commit recently say that he's excited to be going to the University of Washington State. Perhaps these clowns should step off of tick tock for a second and maybe do 10 to 20 minutes worth of reading on the University they are actually going to attend.

And yes the divisions are confusing for everybody and I don't expect everyone to know. But for those who are engaged in college athletics or at least pretend to be, that old 5 second Google search can do wonders.

* Regarding Lincoln University, I'm not sure they are long for this world. It would be much safer and more legit if some of those California state universities actually brought back football, but it's much easier being a commuter school than trying to have activities students like. I've rarely seen a good college president at the small college level, it's pretty low hanging fruit after the top universities get their people. Not only are these presidents bad, they are amazingly lazy.
                      I wonder where the University of Washington State is. Is it in some dive bar? lol

Comment

This was posted by the City of Oakland. I'm not sure why LU is mentioned - but it does say that they will be playing at the Oakland Arena. I also get the sense they could be in the mix to help Oakland land a WNBA franchise. Either way, it's very interesting.

Comment

I'm also from the pre-internet college era where we actually had to do our own assignments and couldn't copy & paste our way to a degree. Oh, the good ol' days!
                          Last edited by crixus; 07-06-2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Comment

That's not urban-rural divide, it's just plain stupidity, and if they're stumped, 5-second internet searches are helpful.

I live in Boise, it's nuts, the anti-California backlash is ramping up. But again, the ol' 5-second internet search is useful. The largest group of people moving to Boise come from Canyon County, the bordering county to the west where there are a couple of towns at 100K. Sitting at No. 2 and 3 are people moving to Boise from a pair of North Idaho counties. Number 4 is the state of Washington, Californians come in around 5 to 7. Again, that high speed internet really helps, then again that might take too much work for people. Geeeeeez .... time to quit suffering fools.

Comment

That's not urban-rural divide, it's just plain stupidity, and if they're stumped, 5-second internet searches are helpful.

I live in Boise, it's nuts, the anti-California backlash is ramping up. But again, the ol' 5-second internet search is useful. The largest group of people moving to Boise come from Canyon County, the bordering county to the west where there are a couple of towns at 100K. Sitting at No. 2 and 3 are people moving to Boise from a pair of North Idaho counties. Number 4 is the state of Washington, Californians come in around 5 to 7. Again, that high speed internet really helps, then again that might take too much work for people. Geeeeeez .... time to quit suffering fools.
                                Definitely. Odds are, rural folk are less likely to know about some of it. It's just general incompetence.

Here in MN, the rural folks probably don't know where Carleton is, if they've ever heard of it to begin with - and it's our top rated school. The city folks could probably name where most of the rural state schools are though. Apples to oranges given the influence of hockey, but still...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X